• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cinemark Theaters

thx997303

imported post

So, since Rapid Dave asked, I sent an e-mail to Cinemark Corporate to inquire as to their policy on firearms.

I got a call today, from Dan Myers with Cinemark Corporate, and he informed me that Cinemark's official policy is that ONLY LEO'S CAN CARRY INTO THEIR THEATERS

NO CONCEALED WEAPONS, NO OC.

He asked me that we not send e-mails to tell them their policy sucks.

Okay, well I don't think that's possible.

http://www.cinemark.com/contactus.asp

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I open carried into a cinemark theatre a week or two ago and didn't have any problems.

We can always hope that some e-mails will help them see the error in their ways.

tattedupboy

imported post

If you're unsure about what a place's policy is on carrying, you could always just carry concealed. I have carried in plenty of places withno guns signs (places that were not off limits by law, but had signs posted as a matter of company policy). Since none of these places have metal detectors or have someone frisking patrons at the door, the best way to carry if you're not sure or if there is a sign posted is concealed.

thx997303

imported post

Okay, I think you have missed the point, they do not want people carrying in there at all, so by my thinking, they don't deserve our business.

And I can't conceal, only 19 so I can't get my concealed permit.

imperialism2024

imported post

A few issues...

Why are you asking about firearms policy? I know that some states allow signs to hold legal weight, but I know of no states that force citizens to research a company's policy, and then give that policy legal weight. Are there signs at the door? If not, the assumption is that carry is OK.

Also, just about every chain will have a "no guns" policy... largely because they all carry insurance. I'd think it would be fair to say that pretty much every business that's not a gun shop/store/range will have an official "no guns" policy for the same insurance reasons. You'd essentially have to boycott 99% of businesses out there. Better hope you like Wal-Mart.

However, many businesses do not enforce their "no guns" policy. In one group, businesses just don't want a commotion... calling the cops or asking someone to leave would make a scene, so they're content with letting customers OC so long as the police don't show up and start, oh, detaining, disarming, and arresting people. In another group are businesses where branch/franchise managers allow the carrying of firearms in defiance of corporate policy.

There also is an element of "asking permission". It sounds like you didn't so much ask permission, but provided an opportunity for the business to deny permission. Openly (or concealed?) carrying handguns should not require asking permission, as we are working to get it accepted. Part of getting OC accepted is not treating it any differently than openly carrying a phone, pager, or PDA.

Anyhow, with a username starting with "THX", are you sure you really need to leave the home to enjoy movies? ;)

thx997303

imported post

Hehe, I guess you are familiar with Lucas's early work?:D

Anyway, another member asked, so I researched. When I found the answer, I thought it pertinent to try and change the policy, which includes at least 8000 emails about it, unfortunately I don't think the entire membership is going to write an email, but it's worth a try.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You would think that given the decline of movie theater attendance over the last several years that theaters would be wanting to increase their customer base rather than alienate a segment of the population. I certainly appreciate their request that we not email them to tell them their policy sucks. Given that most movies today suck, and movie theater prices suck this is just a final nail in their coffin full of suckage.

tattedupboy

imported post

Look, I know you're only 19, so it's unfortunate that your state government gives you permission to carry openly but not concealed. It seems to me that the easy way to be protected while at the same time avoiding being hassled is simply to conceal while you're in the theater. I understand that you want to be able to carry however you want, but when you turn 21, just do yourself a favor and get a concealed carry permit so that you can carry concealed in places that have a no guns policy. That's what I do, and believe me, it has spared me a whole lot of headaches.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I went back to the same Cinemark theatre, but this time as I was leaving (already watched movie) they confronted me and told me guns were not allowed and that I had to leave. The one talking to mementioned that one of his coworkers were fired for having a ccw permit.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

To be honest I'm not sure if it was just for having the permit or also for carrying at the time. I can't very clearly remember what he told me right now.If he was carrying I wonder how they found out.

xRapidDavex

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
If you're unsure about what a place's policy is on carrying, you could always just carry concealed. I have carried in plenty of places withno guns signs (places that were not off limits by law, but had signs posted as a matter of company policy). Since none of these places have metal detectors or have someone frisking patrons at the door, the best way to carry if you're not sure or if there is a sign posted is concealed.
Not if you don't have a CFP....

xRapidDavex

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Why are you asking about firearms policy?
So that if they try to say its "their policy" but they really don't have one, then you can call them out on their bullshit. You look educated when you research the places you go to.

xRapidDavex

imported post

I'm not saying that you were wrong in researching it, but personally I wouldn't have brought it to their attention. What's done is done, and I have no hard feelings about the messages you sent to them. ;)

xRapidDavex

imported post

I think we all got a little hot headed about that and wanted to express our opnions about the issue. Sorry that we came off threatening and rude.