Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Gun Show This weekend

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    Anyone else besides me going?

    This will be my first gun show since i moved to America from New York.

    Stocking up on ammo for my 9mm and my AK.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Washoe County, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    256

    Post imported post

    Which gun show where? Nevada is a pretty big state.

    Welcome to America, former New York resident!

    Also, northern Nevadans (and northern Caifornians) ought remember to put the next Big Reno Show on your calendars for the end of August (22-23-24) 2008.

    It's a huge show at the Grand Sierra in Reno. http://bigrenoshow.com/

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    oh sorry - vegas..


    Ive been here a year on sunday.

    i would love to go up to reno for a weekend. i may plan on that show in August.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    The last Vegas show I went to was a complete waste of time. I might drop by if there's nothing else going on, or if others are interested in using it as an excuse for an OC meet & greet.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    you can't carry at the show....

    OC meet and greet? where?

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    Yes, you can. You have to unload (or conceal) in the show, but firearms are not prohibited.

    There are a million places within close driving distance to meet up before or after the show.


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    As the public enters all guns must be checked at the door, clips out and ties to secure them so that they cannot be operated, be breached or loaded. All dealer guns if not under a glass case or taken apart must be tied.From:
    http://www.lasvegasgunshow.com/xrules.htm

    i can call and get more info...i would conceal while in there.




  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    I already know the rules. I've been there multiple times. It has to be unloaded in the show. You can conceal and just not say anything at the door, or you can consent to unloading and having the action zip-tied while you're in there. Walk out the door, put magazine back in, done.

    Annoying, but not a big deal.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    which do you do?

    this is all new to me....

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    I have both concealed and OC'd at various times. If it's for an OC event, I would obviously OC. But I don't promise I won't carry a BUG concealed.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    so when you concealed at the show, you didn't remove your mag or anything?

    don't ask, don't tell?

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    I wouldn't be inclined to discuss my undergarments, scars, tattoos, what credit cards are in my wallet or anything else with a stranger who asked.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    i get your point.

    they try to disarm gun owners at a gun show - ironic actually.

    this is my first gun show so i am pretty excited.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, ,
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    OC Meet and Greet my be fun. Personally, have no interest in a gun show... wife wouldnt let me buy anything anyways.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    Vegas_Dave wrote:
    OC Meet and Greet my be fun. Personally, have no interest in a gun show... wife wouldnt let me buy anything anyways.
    i got the OK from my hunny a while ago...i do have a budget.


    if there is an M&G around, maybe i can swing by.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    It is against the law to carry cancealed in Cashman Center.

    Ken

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    CowboyKen wrote:
    It is against the law to carry cancealed in Cashman Center.

    Ken
    is cashman a govt. building?

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    The last show I attended, there were no signs or metal detectors at each public entrance. So, even if it is a "public building" under the law's definition, it isn't illegal unless they've added signs at each entrance or metal detectors since then.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    so where is Ken getting his info?

    i know if there are signs, it's one thing, but no signs makes it fair game.

  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    From NRS 202...

    (b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by: (1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or (2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose. If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.
    Cashman Center is not part of the Nevada System of Higher Education.
    Cashman Center's convention hall is not "occupied" by the Federal Government, State of Nevada, or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada. Hence, the convention hall - during a gun show - clearly does not meet the legal definition of "public building."

    They cannot legally prevent concealed carry.

    Even if this was a convention room attached to city hall, it would not qualify as "only that portion of the building which is so occupied" during a gun show, wedding reception, trade show, etc.

    Ken, how would you argue that a convention hall, being used to host a gun show, is being occupied by the government or school system?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    makes sense...thanks

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    also stocking up on ammo, 9mm. & ak. found the same dealer at the "big" gun show as i did at the "other" gun show. The "big" gun show is on aug. 2-3

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    by BIG - you mean the best of the west one? I may not be in town for that so i gotta go while the goin is good.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    bobernet wrote:
    From NRS 202...

    (b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by: (1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or (2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose. If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.
    Cashman Center is not part of the Nevada System of Higher Education.
    Cashman Center's convention hall is not "occupied" by the Federal Government, State of Nevada, or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada. Hence, the convention hall - during a gun show - clearly does not meet the legal definition of "public building."

    They cannot legally prevent concealed carry.

    Even if this was a convention room attached to city hall, it would not qualify as "only that portion of the building which is so occupied" during a gun show, wedding reception, trade show, etc.

    Ken, how would you argue that a convention hall, being used to host a gun show, is being occupied by the government or school system?
    Cashman is owned and operated by the LVCVA, a political sub-division of the State of Nevada (see their web-site http://www.lvcva.com/index.jsp). The building is posted and cites NRS 202.3673.

    Ken

    p.s.; The Convention Center falls under the same legal entity and is also off limits for concealed carry. Ignorance is not an excuse for breaking the law. Be careful out there.

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    333

    Post imported post

    I think there's a solid argument to be made that a convention hall rented out for a show is not "occupied" by a government entity according to the law.

    Never the less... to my knowledge Ken is factually correct in everything he's said. I would not encourage anyone else to conceal carry at the show - whether I personally think it defensible or not.

    Open carry is still lawfully allowed, and the only restriction imposed by the show is that the gun be unloaded and zip tied for the time you're inside the convention hall. I suggest those going OC.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •