• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show This weekend

s-w nine

imported post

also stocking up on ammo, 9mm. & ak. found the same dealer at the "big" gun show as i did at the "other" gun show. The "big" gun show is on aug. 2-3

CowboyKen

imported post

bobernet wrote:
From NRS 202...

(b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by: (1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or (2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose. If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.
Cashman Center is not part of the Nevada System of Higher Education.
Cashman Center's convention hall is not "occupied" by the Federal Government, State of Nevada, or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada. Hence, the convention hall - during a gun show - clearly does not meet the legal definition of "public building."

They cannot legally prevent concealed carry.

Even if this was a convention room attached to city hall, it would not qualify as "only that portion of the building which is so occupied" during a gun show, wedding reception, trade show, etc.

Ken, how would you argue that a convention hall, being used to host a gun show, is being occupied by the government or school system?
Cashman is owned and operated by the LVCVA, a political sub-division of the State of Nevada (see their web-site http://www.lvcva.com/index.jsp). The building is posted and cites NRS 202.3673.

Ken

p.s.; The Convention Center falls under the same legal entity and is also off limits for concealed carry. Ignorance is not an excuse for breaking the law. Be careful out there.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think there's a solid argument to be made that a convention hall rented out for a show is not "occupied" by a government entity according to the law.

Never the less... to my knowledge Ken is factually correct in everything he's said. I would not encourage anyone else to conceal carry at the show - whether I personally think it defensible or not.

Open carry is still lawfully allowed, and the only restriction imposed by the show is that the gun be unloaded and zip tied for the time you're inside the convention hall. I suggest those going OC.

yeahYeah

imported post

I emailed the show - concealed isn't permitted because of incidents in the past. I'll OC and get tied - no biggie for me.

CowboyKen

imported post

bobernet wrote:
I think there's a solid argument to be made that a convention hall rented out for a show is not "occupied" by a government entity according to the law.

Never the less... to my knowledge Ken is factually correct in everything he's said. I would not encourage anyone else to conceal carry at the show - whether I personally think it defensible or not.

Open carry is still lawfully allowed, and the only restriction imposed by the show is that the gun be unloaded and zip tied for the time you're inside the convention hall. I suggest those going OC.

Indeed. You may well try to make the case that "a convention hall rented out for a show is not "occupied" by a government entity according to the law."

I believe that the LVCVA would contend, that since their "governemnt function" isto host such events, that it is in fact a “Public building” ... being "used for any public purpose."

In any case I would not choose to be the test case for this issue.

Ken

wayneco

imported post

I was under the impression you can carry in a public building as long as it's not posted *at every entrance* no guns allowed or there are no metal detectors at the entrances.

If there is an unmarked (not posted "no guns allowed") door, you can carry inside.

I thought that is how I understood it from my CCW training back in April.

CowboyKen

imported post

wayneco wrote:
I was under the impression you can carry in a public building as long as it's not posted *at every entrance* no guns allowed or there are no metal detectors at the entrances.

If there is an unmarked (not posted "no guns allowed") door, you can carry inside.

I thought that is how I understood it from my CCW training back in April.

Cashman Center (and the Convention Center) is posted at every entrance, so is the ball field. You may have to look carefully to find it, but it is there.

Ken

Wheel

imported post

It was posted last time I was there.

see you all at the show!