• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what do you feel is a resonable conversation with LEOs about OC

jbone

imported post

polarbz wrote:
Sounds right to me. Clearly the concealed carry reg does not apply to openly carrying.

Scared me! They could have used this for a basis on the next drawn down, would have thrown tons of junior and senior military alike out for carrying off duty.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

jbone wrote:
If a person was arrested off base for open carry in a State that allows, the person could not be charged under UCMJ, he was legal (lawful). Again hoping a person never pulled this stunt on base! And hoping the service member was legally able to own a handgun by state and fed requirements. Does this sound right??
That's the way I see it.

My point is, that even though you may be legal to carry I can still see a CO saying this is NOT in the best interest of the <insert military branch here> if a issue should arise see paragraph 4...
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font][align=left][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"](4) That, under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces. [/font][/align]

polarbz

imported post

But, simply carrying, with no other circumstance, would not be against the order of the service. A lowly Captain would be hard pressed to show that is was in a Court Martial.

okkid

imported post

The conversation with Hoquiam Police today is what I feel is a resonable conversation.

As I was walking from my house to the Shell station 1/2 Block away to get a drink
and some chips there was two police officers across the street talking to a
teen who seems is alway going to jail for whatever I dont know:banghead: One of them ask me if I always carry open like that and I said yes sir I do and and he said you just dont see that around here. Ask what kind of gun I had and said he understands why I carry and that was the end of it.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Shanew1 wrote:
Bear 45/70wrote

(If you believe the scuttlebutt in the militarywithout confirming it with someone that is actually an expert in that area, then you will believe anything. 3/4ths of the stuff that floats around is pure BS (worse than urban myths) and the other quarter you need to take with a grain of salt. Verify any and everything)

And who would an actual expert be, two Security officers i talked with explicitly said it was not legal, I was taken to a DRB my first year in for OC and was told by the Security officer I could not carry because i was active duty, Now albeit I am not as gullible as I was at 18 and now do more research before I believe anybody, but at 18, 22, 25 you expect the Security Officer to be the expert of issues such as these.

And please don’t say Jag or CID, many of them areAssclowns who don’t know the constitution let alone the UCMJ and any subsequent articles.
Well, first off the Constitution does not affect you while you are on active duty. The UCMJ does.If you want a legal question answered you ask a lawyer in civilian life and you do the same in the military. Who the else would you ask about military law than a military lawyer, so yeah the base legal office is where you can get the help you need. If the first guy you deal with seems as stupid as you are then ask for another. But military cops are just that, cops and probably know less about the actual UCMJthan you to start with.

peekaboo

imported post

jbone wrote:
Peekaboo,

Would like to hearan LEO perpective on the threadby:

Ajetpilot

My First LEO Encounter

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/13080.html
Well first off I don't see an issue. No police powers were exercised.

Second, you need to remeber police officers are no better or worse than anyone else. Whoever and whatever you are in the dark place we all go at home is what you are when you put on the uniform. The badge doesn't make the person...the person makes the badge.

Third, the great thing about the 1st Amendment that people like to quote here is that it works both ways. You can pretty much say whatever you want, no matter how boneheaded it is or how stupid it sounds.

And finally, its two people having a discussion about an issue. One doing much better than the other.

kparker

imported post

peekaboo,

One question you didn't address: if it's just "two people having a discussion about an issue", why did one of them feel the need to flash his police ID?

joeroket

imported post

kparker wrote:
IANAL, not even a JAG, but doesn't Element (4) give CO's a gaping wide loophole to ban carry whenever they want? Remember all the discussion about the commander up in AK that forbid anyone to carry?
I don't follow the UCMJ but in reading this, since an infraction would be criminal, it requires all the elements of the crime. If it is not unlawful then they could not be prosecuted under the UCMJ.

joeroket

imported post

kparker wrote:
peekaboo,

One question you didn't address: if it's just "two people having a discussion about an issue", why did one of them feel the need to flash his police ID?
There are those that do it for a command of presence while off duty and those that could give s crap what happens off duty unless it is a serious crime. Obviously this guy falls under the first one. I do have a problem with what he did and said but, IMO, it was a very minor ordeal and the OP was not detained and allowed to walk away. Heck the two officers may have even talked about OC after the contact and it may have been that he just educated two officers about the legalities of it.

jbone

imported post

peekaboo wrote:
jbone wrote:
Peekaboo,

Would like to hearan LEO perpective on the threadby:

Ajetpilot

My First LEO Encounter

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/13080.html
Well first off I don't see an issue. .

Second, you need to remeber police officers are no better or worse than anyone else. Whoever and whatever you are in the dark place we all go at home is what you are when you put on the uniform. The badge doesn't make the person...the person makes the badge.

Third, the great thing about the 1st Amendment that people like to quote here is that it works both ways. You can pretty much say whatever you want, no matter how boneheaded it is or how stupid it sounds.

And finally, its two people having a discussion about an issue. One doing much better than the other.

Not to incite anything as I’m PRO LEO, father’s a retired COP. But let’s say a non-LEO walk’s up to a complete stranger and says:

"I could have taken your gun from you, and put a bullet in your head just now."

The stranger feels his life has been threatened and calls 911. Police respond. What next? Will that person be arrested? Stranger wants to file charges on the fact they have implied to commit harm buy the words spoken.

Introduce that person speaking the words carrying a gun; has this person violated any law by implying they could have committed murder while in possession of a gun? My not being a legal mined person or LE savvy is why I ask.

LEO or not, any person needs to exercise common sense and sound judgment when dealing with others, and choose their words wisely. Would be my guess the Officer’s were packing and failed to handle the encounter wisely as fellow citizens sense you say “No police powers were exercised[/quote]”

Lastly, thanks for you service.

Edited to mentioned I posted on orginal thread.