• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

drop holsters and open carry

Mattress0311

imported post

I am new to this and I am also very intrested in open carry. I live in Northerh Kentucky and just have a few questions about how I can OC.

I own a drop holster that is triple retention. Would I be able to open carry this way?

Second question. I do not have to carry any type of documentation to open carry or have to have a license of some sorts.

Legba

imported post

That is legally correct - you do not need any kind of license to do this in Ohio. That said, expect the police to take an interest in what you are up to. They may ask "what's with the gun?" and go on their way, or they may take the "hell no, not in my town, up against the wall" approach. It's a crapshoot what kind of cop you'll run into. You can beat it at trial if you're charged, but it's still abig hassle if they go that route.

Welcome to the forum.

-ljp

Mattress0311

imported post

thank you for the information and i am going to guess that OC is the same in the state of kentucky also. i only ask this because i travel between ohio and kentucky alot.

another thing would you know anything about open carry with a drop holster. its out in plain veiw. i would think that open carry in a drop holster would make police officers alittle more aggressive to a person exercising open carry

Legba

imported post

Well, that does give it a more "tacticool/mall-ninja" look, but one way is as good as another, if you're comfortable with it (I have a thigh holster as well - I'm not picking on you).

-ljp

Mattress0311

imported post

thanks again. i just dont feel like shelling out any more money than i have to. figure a drop holster is just as good. you care if i contact you if i have anymore questions. like i said i just found out about open carry and i am always looking for new information.

J_5

imported post

KY is more open carry friendly then Ohio, in my opnion. I have OC'ed in KY (Newport included) and never had any problems yet. Though I have only been at this a little while. The only place I have OC'ed in Ohio is Clermont county. Not brave enough to OC around Cincinnati yet :uhoh:
Just like Legba said, its a crap shoot on what kind of LEO you may run into. Some are knuckleheads some are just going to be curious why you are carrying a gun, as its not something they run into everyday. Just be calmn, polite, and stand your ground if you have any kind of negative contact..and let us know about it:cuss:

I would be curious to see if the drop holster attracts anymore attention vs carrying anyother way

Legba

imported post

Mattress: Well, I'm not the only person who reads or contributes to the Ohio subsection. Neither amI a lawyer, andI'd hate to inadvertently give someone bad advice, so feel free to just post questions for general comment. You can certainly private message me if you like.

-ljp

Mattress0311

imported post

thanks to all so far for all the information. and i will let everyone know how the drop holster pans out. and believe me if something bad does happen it will be posted. thank you again.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Legba wrote:
Mattress: Well, I'm not the only person who reads or contributes to the Ohio subsection. Neither amI a lawyer, andI'd hate to inadvertently give someone bad advice, so feel free to just post questions for general comment. You can certainly private message me if you like.

-ljp
You do have plenty of experience fighting B.S. trials though! :D I've lost track of all that. How did things end up?