• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry for non-residents

neddis

imported post

Hello everyone,
I am a new gun owner (just picked up an XD-9mm a couple weeks ago) and I am interested in this whole open/concealed carry thing. I live in Hermiston, OR and travel to Tri-Cities quite often. I am going to be taking handgun safety in a week and a half so I can get my concealed handgun license in Oregon. My question is this: do the laws change at all where open carry is concerned since I am from out of state? Thanks in advance for the info.

neddis

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

As long as you are not carrying in a vehicle you will be fine. No carry in areas off limits to persons under 21 years of age, (Liquor stores are OK) secured areas of courthouses, police stations, airports, mental health facilities, etc. No carry at schools. Other than that you are good.

jamesb3002

imported post

Nope where you live have no bearing on the laws. You have to follow the laws of the state that you are visiting.

Warning if you are traveling to Washington without a CHL, carrying a loaded hangun in a vehicle is against the law without a permit. You can open carry on foot no pronblems but you have to unload and store it while driving then reload when you get out.

It is best to get permit that Washington honors if you travel there frequently to get around the vehicle carry ban.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

jamesb3002 wrote:
Nope where you live have no bearing on the laws. You have to follow the laws of the state that you are visiting.

Warning if you are traveling to Washington without a CHL, carrying a loaded hangun in a vehicle is against the law without a permit. You can open carry on foot no pronblems but you have to unload and store it while driving then reload when you get out.

It is best to get permit that Washington honors if you travel there frequently to get around the vehicle carry ban.
You can get an out of state resident permit pretty easy. No training or classes. There is a post somewhere else which agency cuts one quickets, I believe Kitsap County Sheriff has issued them on the spot. Permit is $60.

neddis

imported post

one last question about the car. Can I keep it holstered but have the mags somewhere else or is it just best to keep the gun unloaded in the trunk? Thanks a bunch. I plan on OCing in tri-cities when I get my holster in the mail next week.
On that note, I guess I have one more question. Does the type of holster matter? i ordered a drop-leg tactical holster. Can I OC with that? everyone else I've heard of or seen has had a belt or hip holster. Thanks!

just_a_car

imported post

jamesb3002 wrote:
(SNIP)
(SNIP)
FYI: this include public transportation, such as buses and motorcycles. If you plan on OC'ing in ANY kind of vehicle, have a valid CPL/CHL/CWP/etc... from either WA, a state WA has reciprocity with, or the state you reside in.

just_a_car

imported post

neddis wrote:
one last question about the car. Can I keep it holstered but have the mags somewhere else or is it just best to keep the gun unloaded in the trunk? Thanks a bunch. I plan on OCing in tri-cities when I get my holster in the mail next week.
On that note, I guess I have one more question. Does the type of holster matter? i ordered a drop-leg tactical holster. Can I OC with that? everyone else I've heard of or seen has had a belt or hip holster. Thanks!
As long as there is no round in the chamber, yes, you can store the handgun with the loaded magazines as long as they are not inserted into the firearm. Whether the handgun is holstered or not is not an issue when storing it. There are a few folk from the Tri-Cities area on here that are good people.

Edit: also, the firearm must be in a "closed opaque case or secure wrapper" per RCW 9.41.060 (9). Where you put said container doesn't matter. It could be in your trunk, in the passenger seat, or on your lap.

Edit part 2: The above restrictions are only if you don't have your CPL and need to transport the firearm. If you have the license, you can just carry it loaded, holstered and with the mags in the firearm.

A drop-leg holster looks "tacti-cool" and kinda cheesy to most OC'ers, but you're totally legal to do so. Sometimes, it's the only comfortable way to carry, such as if you're riding a bicycle and have no belt.

Edit: IANAL.

neddis

imported post

I got the drop leg holster because, well, I have a little extra around the middle that may or may not hang over my belt line at some points. ;) I have a feeling that a standard hip holster would not be all that comfortable for me. I will get my WA concealed permit not too long after I get my OR one. Anyway, thanks for the info. Say hi if you see a big guy carrying an XD-9 in Kennewick.