• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Winchester

67GT390FB

imported post

loxety wrote:
Carried in Walmart, Martins, McDonalds, TrueValue, Flying-J, Eagle Military Outfitters. No problems so far..
haha You were referencing the city, for a minute there i had visions of chuck connors and steve mqueen.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

I have open carried in Gander Mountain, McDonalds (Down the road from the Gander Mountain), The Cove, and a local produce store with no problems in Winchester.

Tac-Man

imported post

Winchester VA. is very friendly to open carry.I have lived here for quite some time and never had a problem.Ido know that there is no open carry in Stonewall Arms. on Valley Ave.Frederick County Firearms is ok.Almost all of the valley isok with open carry.I have had many chats with LEO's while carrying openly.We live in a great area!:celebrate

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I've OC'd a few times there, most notably Donatos and Perlitas Mexican Restaurant.

nemo

imported post

We have lived outside Winchester for a few years, and I OC everywhere, though I don't get out, much. Yeah, nice area.

I keep intending to go to Stonewall arms. What's the matter with them that they don't like OC? Not gonna go, now.

Tac-Man

imported post

I don't know why Bill at Stonewall Arms will not let any one open carry?I know he has never said anything about CC.I CC everytime I am in the store but he knows me.I think it has something to do with not taking a chance on getting robbed.He has a lot of class 3 goods in the store and wants to be safe.The store is one of the best in the area and I highly recommend it to everyone.

stonewallarms

imported post

This post has been brought to my attention by a customer that saw it so I thought I should reply since I am the owner of Stonewall Arms. Our store does not have a policy against open carry or concealed carry in our store. We only ask that the weapon remain in the holster at all times if you are carrying. If a firearm is going to need to be removed from the holster,( i.e. to test fit holster, light etc... , ) the weapon shouldbe brought though the frontdoor in a safe unloaded condition, slide locked back & no ammo on your person. If you have a long gun that you wouldlike to bring in, bring it in in a case with no ammo, action openor come in and tell us you have a rifle/ shotgunto bring in then bring it in with the action open & no ammo. This is a safety issue for you the customer & for the store staff. I hope that this clears things up and that we all remember & practiceour basic firearms safety rules. Thanks to all the customers that support us and hope to see you again soon.

Old thread, but I'm from Winchester, VA, so I thought I'd add my experience.

My personal policy is simple. I carry a gun as a tool, one which I hope never to have to activate. I carry it openly, because it's not an abnormal activity to do so. I don't go into public places that don't have armed good guys. (Examples: The Home Depot prohibits its employees from even having a gun in their vehicles in the parking lot if they are on the clock, but it doesn't prohibit customers from carrying guns. The court house prohibits non-LEO from having guns, but there are enough LEO there to assume that at least one of them is a good guy. The medical centers don't allow guns, and they have hardly any armed guards, and those armed guards are never around, so I simply take care of myself and don't want to be caught dead in a medical center.)

I carry all the time at work at Visual Link. I go to many public places without any event at all, including Wal-Mart (where I bought ammo for the gun I was carrying), Martin's, Cici's Pizza, Sheetz, Bear's Trading Post, Gander Mountain, Play-n-Trade, ALDI, Berryville Veterinary Clinic, Home Depot, and more. I don't get any trouble for it at all. I carry a S&W .357 Magnum K66.

At Sheetz, the store manager (formerly my boss) asked me, "is that real?" I said, "Of course." She said, "Good."

At Martin's, a lot associate I know stopped me and said, "I didn't know you had one," pointing to my gun. I said, "I have five." We chatted about guns vs. blades, etc.

At Visual Link, the vast, vast majority of customers are more heavily armed than I am! But on at least one occasion I did have a customer express concern over my well being.

I do not bring a gun into a customer's home, because it's impolite to enter another person's castle armed. I take my gun out of the holster and lock it up before going inside the customer's home. However, I may be revisiting that particular policy. Most customers who see my empty holster ask me what I carry, and then they show me what they have.

Going up to the buffet and loading up on salad, soup, pizza, brownies, etc. at Cici's Pizza, I never even got a second glance from anybody. Turns out that the kid-friendly pizza joint might be the most open-carry friendly place in town.

Around my own home, only one person has ever asked me about it.

At Home Depot, I think I sparked a debate among the employees, who I think are feeling a bit repressed due to the corporate anti-gun policy. Even those who have CWP's are not allowed to have ANY gun in their vehicles on store property, if they are on the clock. Crazy, especially when you recall things like the Beltway Sniper!

---

Funny Q&A

On Christmas Eve, I decided to start calling a few stores to ask two questions: 1) How early do you close on this Christmas Eve? 2) Is your particular store open-carry friendly?

Food Lion: "We close at 6pm." "Uhh, I don't see why not."
Martin's: "We close at 6pm." "We don't really have a policy on that."
Wal-Mart: "We close at 8pm." "Well, that depends, are you a detective?" "Hold on, let me get a manager." "Sir, are you the one on hold about the....gun?" Assistant Manager: "Virginia's an open carry state, so as long as you don't brandish it, then there's no problem. I can't say that the customers won't have something to say about it, but there's nothing I can really do about that."
K-Mart: "We're open until 11pm." "Wellll, I don't see anything on the door about it, so I guess it's fine!"

K-Mart had the cutest answer! Wal-Mart had the worst AND the best answer.

mark-in-texas

I to used to work at at a place that prohibited employees from possessing a weapon in our vehicles. Unless Home Depot is planning on searching cars, I'd carry one anyway! Properly concealed, they'll never know. If possible park your vehicle off their owned/leased property and take the few extra steps to work. I also made it clear to my employer that I would press trespass charges for entering my car without my premission and that theft of a firearm was a felony.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I to used to work at at a place that prohibited employees from possessing a weapon in our vehicles. Unless Home Depot is planning on searching cars, I'd carry one anyway! Properly concealed, they'll never know. If possible park your vehicle off their owned/leased property and take the few extra steps to work. I also made it clear to my employer that I would press trespass charges for entering my car without my premission and that theft of a firearm was a felony.

Have to ask... how would they be able to enter your vehicle without you unlocking it for them? If they use some device to do this, that would be breaking and entering.

Last place I worked was a major defense contractor and they also had a no weapons on the premises policy. I ignored that and carried in my vehicle every day for 7 1/2 years. Even one of their security people told me that, "Hell, probably 50% of the cars in the parking lot have guns in them".

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
On Christmas Eve, I decided to start calling a few stores to ask two questions: 1) How early do you close on this Christmas Eve? 2) Is your particular store open-carry friendly?

Food Lion: "We close at 6pm." "Uhh, I don't see why not."
Martin's: "We close at 6pm." "We don't really have a policy on that."
Wal-Mart: "We close at 8pm." "Well, that depends, are you a detective?" "Hold on, let me get a manager." "Sir, are you the one on hold about the....gun?" Assistant Manager: "Virginia's an open carry state, so as long as you don't brandish it, then there's no problem. I can't say that the customers won't have something to say about it, but there's nothing I can really do about that."
K-Mart: "We're open until 11pm." "Wellll, I don't see anything on the door about it, so I guess it's fine!"

K-Mart had the cutest answer! Wal-Mart had the worst AND the best answer.

May I suggest that you never call and ask a business if they are gun-friendly or what their policy is regarding arms in their business. Since you don't really know with whom you may be speaking, what their feeling about armed citizens is, or whether or not they know company policy, you might just be inviting them to post a "No Gun" sign. Much better to leave this one be.

Last edited:

blade10

May I suggest that you never call and ask a business if they are gun-friendly or what their policy is regarding arms in their business. Since you don't really know with whom you may be speaking, what their feeling about armed citizens is, or whether or not they know company policy, you might just be inviting them to post a "No Gun" sign. Much better to leave this one be.

^^ That. Exactly. No reason to give them a reason to look into such a policy or to suddenly create one.

Blade

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk