• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Seattle, tacoma and the Kitsap Peninsula

Vandal

imported post

First post on here after lurking for a few months :dude:

I am flying from Boise to Seattle for this weekend to visit my girlfriend and plan on taking my XD45 with me. I have a Washington CPL but would prefer to OC when I can. My question is this, are there any local restrictions in the Seattle, Tacoma or Kitsap Peninsula or the ferries that would get me tossed in jail or ticketed and disarmed if I was to OC while I am there?

Please keep in mind I am used to OCing in Boise and Northern Idaho where it garners almost zero attention.

I thank you in advance for your replies.

- Your friendly neighborhood Vandal.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Vandal wrote:
First post on here after lurking for a few months :dude:

I am flying from Boise to Seattle for this weekend to visit my girlfriend and plan on taking my XD45 with me. I have a Washington CPL but would prefer to OC when I can. My question is this, are there any local restrictions in the Seattle, Tacoma or Kitsap Peninsula or the ferries that would get me tossed in jail or ticketed and disarmed if I was to OC while I am there?

Please keep in mind I am used to OCing in Boise and Northern Idaho where it garners almost zero attention.

I thank you in advance for your replies.

- Your friendly neighborhood Vandal.
Welcome! Aside from the restrictions already existing (bars, schools, secured areas, etc...) you can OC anywhere including the ferries.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum and Washington. The mayor of Seattle has issued an executive order making it illegal to carry a firearm concealed or open in city parks. This is of dubious legality and flies in the face of state law butSeattle police may try to enforce it. So use due caution.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

irfner wrote:
Welcome to the forum and Washington. The mayor of Seattle has issued an executive order making it illegal to carry a firearm concealed or open in city parks. This is of dubious legality and flies in the face of state law butSeattle police may try to enforce it. So use due caution.
No he hasn't. He has issued an order to his departments to get back with him on how to implement such a scheme. Nothing has changed in Seattle yet, there are no executive orders banning guns on city property yet, etc... procede as normal in Seattle.

Bear 45/70

imported post

irfner wrote:
Not true. The Mayor has issued an executive orderfor his department heads to find ways to prevent the carrying of guns on city property. Otherwise, true to government fashion, nothing has been done about anything yet except for a lot of news coverage of nothing. But as of now only state law applies to guns. You need to remember when you deliver the gun to the check in counter to check it thru, it needs to be in a lockable case and the ammo must be stared separately. I know this because the wife and I have taken guns to and from Michigan several times.

Vandal

imported post

I am pretty much ready for the flight, the gun will be unloaded in my suitcase in the hard box it came in from SA and the Gold Dots will be in their factory case also in the suitcase wrapped in a t-shirt. I will also have the suitcase locked up.

Any advice for flying with guns from those more experienced than I?

Bobarino

imported post

when flying, the laws say that it must be unloaded, and ammo stored in a separate container from the gun. you must declare the firearm at check-in an you are the only one allowed to have the key or combo to the lock on the case. DO NOT let any TSA people tell you to give them the key or combo. it is against the law.

other than that, once you're past the security points at the airport, feel free to strap it on and carry on.

Bobby

p.s. post pics of the gun and the girlfriend. :lol:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

• You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
  • You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.