• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Depot, Marysville, OH

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A few weeks ago I was visiting my parents who are building a home in the Marysville area and did a little shopping for them at the local Home Depot. However, upon entering I noticed the Ohio "approved" No Firearms sign on the entrance door. Unfortunately because I had a time crunch I went ahead and made my purchase there and have now left the note below for their corporate office. Gun carriers take note of this Home Depot and take your business to someplace friendlier to you. :) If I hear that this store has removed the sign I'll gladly post it here!

"On Sunday June 15, 2008 I visited the Home Depot in Marysville, OH to buy some painting supplies for my parents who are in the process of building a home nearby. As I entered the store I noticed a sign, which prohibited law abiding customers from legally carrying their firearms into the store. At the notice of this I was appalled as I regularly carry my own firearm in compliance with applicable laws, for my own protection and typically do not give my business to any store that would ask to have my money and ask that I leave my means to personal defense behind. However, this day I needed to pick up the supplies quickly and didn't know where to go instead since I was only visiting from Lynchburg, Virginia. I had previously been in this same store in December, 2007 when visiting my parents at Christmas time, but did not see any "No Firearm" postings at that time otherwise I'd not have returned this time.

Because "No Firearm" postings do nothing to prevent criminals from pursuing their criminal ways and only disarm those folks who only want to go peaceably and lawfully about their lives, I will not again give my business to this Home Depot, while this posting remains. Further, because I believe that this Home Depot's request creates an area where a criminal understands that people have been disarmed, it is thus a danger to me and also to my parents who would be more likely to shop there. Because of this belief I have encouraged my parents to spend the money for their new home at any of your competitors who do not willfully disarm their law abiding customers who would carry a firearm for their own defense. Not only have I encouraged them with words in this regard, but I have also offered to pay any difference in cost that they might incur from traveling to and purchasing items from a competitor's store. My safety and the safety of my parents is paramount to me and thus I am willing to incur any extra cost they may incur by shopping elsewhere.

Since my local Home Depot (Lynchburg, VA) does not make such a request of me I will gladly continue to give my business to my local Home Depot. However, I hope that the management of the Home Depot in Marysville, Ohio will reconsider the request that lawful firearm owners leave their means of self protection behind as it create a zone where potential crime victims have been willfully disarmed of their tools of self defense."

Claimed My Rights

imported post

I like the letter. It should be adapted and sent to any business that bans law-abiding citizens from carrying their firearms. Its a respectable way to take a stand, I hope it works.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I received the e-mail below from Home Depot apologizing for my inconvenience and assuring me that customers with firearms are welcome in Home Depot, provided they carry their firearms in accordance with all applicable laws. This is the kind of clarification I like to see! I'll be back up in Marysville this weekend so I'll check for myself to ensure the signs are gone. :)

Dear "jmelvin",

Thank you for contacting The Home Depot Customer Care.

We appreciate receiving feedback from our customers and want to thank
you for taking the time to forward your concerns regarding carrying of
firearms in our stores. We apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Please know the feedback you have provided will be taken very seriously
and will be used in the overall evaluation of the services we provide
our customers.

We would like to inform you that The Home Depot does not prohibit anyone
who is legally permitted to carry firearms from entering our stores,
provided the firearms are carried in compliance with all applicable laws
and regulations.

As a good will gesture, we would like to send you a $10.00 gift card. We
value you as a customer and want you to continue shopping with us.

Please provide your address so that we can send this gift card out to
you as soon as possible.

We look forward to your continued patronage and assisting you with all
of your home improvement needs.

Sincerely,

Monica
Customer Care

UTOC-45-44

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
I received the e-mail below from Home Depot apologizing for my inconvenience and assuring me that customers with firearms are welcome in Home Depot, provided they carry their firearms in accordance with all applicable laws. This is the kind of clarification I like to see! I'll be back up in Marysville this weekend so I'll check for myself to ensure the signs are gone. :)

Dear "jmelvin",

Thank you for contacting The Home Depot Customer Care.

We appreciate receiving feedback from our customers and want to thank
you for taking the time to forward your concerns regarding carrying of
firearms in our stores. We apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Please know the feedback you have provided will be taken very seriously
and will be used in the overall evaluation of the services we provide
our customers.

We would like to inform you that The Home Depot does not prohibit anyone
who is legally permitted to carry firearms from entering our stores,
provided the firearms are carried in compliance with all applicable laws
and regulations.

As a good will gesture, we would like to send you a $10.00 gift card. We
value you as a customer and want you to continue shopping with us.

Please provide your address so that we can send this gift card out to
you as soon as possible.

We look forward to your continued patronage and assisting you with all
of your home improvement needs.

Sincerely,

Monica
Customer Care

$10.00 gift card ???? :uhoh:

OMG...I hope they don't have to break the Bank to send you this.

Multi-billion $$$ company??? and they toss you a $10.00 gift card???

I guess the gesture is nice.

Does that $10 even compensate you driving 1 way at the rate the gas costs?

TJ

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey I don't really care about the gift card. The "No Gun" signwill beremoved and that in itself is worth much more than a goofy gift card. If I shop at the one nearest to me I only have to travel about 2 miles. If I go to the one which I wrote about, it's about 450 miles away.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Hey I don't really care about the gift card. The "No Gun" signwill beremoved and that in itself is worth much more than a goofy gift card. If I shop at the one nearest to me I only have to travel about 2 miles. If I go to the one which I wrote about, it's about 450 miles away.

True, and WELL accomplished if I may say so.

TJ

tamworth

imported post

ok I've heard this said about all Walmarts and now all Home Depots too now, that they follow what the law says... I live next to a group of shops, one of them is Home Depot and one is Walmart. There is the NO GUNS sign in all of the entrances to the shared parking lot. What am I to do?!!

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Very well done. I OC in the Lynchburg Home Depot often and had a good conversation with the guy who cut my wood for my new reloading bench. Good to see that this policy is consistent with all Home Depots.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

tamworth wrote:
ok I've heard this said about all Walmarts and now all Home Depots too now, that they follow what the law says... I live next to a group of shops, one of them is Home Depot and one is Walmart. There is the NO GUNS sign in all of the entrances to the shared parking lot. What am I to do?!!

Unfortunately, you have to Email EACH of the 2 companies about the sign. Of course give them all the specifics and tell them that you will NOT patronize the establishments where you do not feel safe.

The OT letter is a very good structure to get the point across.

TJ

RT48

imported post

tamworth wrote:
When shopping plaza parking lots are posted but not the individual stores, that usually means it is the landlord that owns the property and not the retailers that posted the signs.

Stark Enterprises is one example here in Greater Cleveland that posts all the shopping plazas it owns.

When the SB 184 changes take effect on September 9, parking lot "no guns" signs will no longer be criminal trespassing. The owner of the parking lot has to sue you in civil court instead.

Anubis

imported post

tamworth wrote:
I have seen many reports indicating that someWalmarts and Home Depots follow the alleged pro-carry corporate policies, but some obviously do not.

Regarding the no-guns sign, consider shopping elsewhere if possible.

tamworth

imported post

RT84 wrote:
When the SB 184 changes take effect on September 9, parking lot "no guns" signs will no longer be criminal trespassing. The owner of the parking lot has to sue you in civil court instead.
Could you explain this further for me? I'm very simple-minded when it comes to laws and what-not, what I do is usually take things down to their essential do's and don'ts... since it will no longer be criminal trespassing, will I then be able to enter these stores while carrying? Concealed or open or both? What do you mean about them having to sue in civil court instead? instead of what? Thanks for your patience!

bsbrum

imported post

For what it's worth, as of Sunday, July 20 at 6:30pm -- the sign is still in the front window at the main entrance of the store. Grrrrrrrr. Really steams my clams.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well that sucks. bsbrum, can you take a picture of that sign if you live nearby? I've been asking my parents who live nearby to let me know if the sign is still up, but they either didn't notice (yeah right, it's huge) or haven't been lately. I'll take this issue up with Home Depot asking them why they would blow smoke at me and do nothing about the problem I complained about.

Or better yet if you can bsbrum have a talk with the manager and fill him on that it is your understanding that Home Depot welcomes customers who carry firearms in accordance with all laws and regulations. If the sign doesn't come down send a quick note to Home Depot so that they know someone else lives closer and is taking note and taking their business elsewhere. The Ace Hardware on the other side of town (by Kroger) is a nice locally owned store with no "No Gun" signs. Think about giving them your business next time. :)

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
The Ace Hardware on the other side of town (by Kroger) is a nice locally owned store with no "No Gun" signs. Think about giving them your business next time. :)
I think Ace definitely deserves your business. The ACE hardware down the street from my house SELLS guns! It's my LGS: ACE Guns, Ammo and Hardware!

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well I go to the same Ace you do "asforme" and while it's great, it's pretty useless if you need home supplies other than firearms. :) The Ace in Marysville is large, well lit, well stocked and staffed with friendly folk. However, if the chap who noticed the sign today decides to switch places to shop he should at least let HD know why. Maybe the sign will come down. :)

bsbrum

imported post

Okay -- I stopped by the store a little while ago and snapped these pictures.

Frankly I am so ticked off, that I don't know that I could have a rational conversation with the manager.I need to chill out a little while and collect myself lest I lose my temper with the numbsku... err... uhm... folks in the orange aprons. :)

--
Brian

MarysvilleHomeDepot1_small.JPG

MarysvilleHomeDepot2_small.JPG

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I can't see the pictures from work, but I appreciate your efforts bsbrum. Perhaps a short letter to Home Depot letting them know that you will no longer be shopping their stores would be good once you calm down. This way they have heard from me, who is 450 miles away and a local who might actually shop there frequently and who may affect the buying habits of friends. The good corporate policy is in place according to the e-mail that I received, someone from the top down just needs to ensure that the management at this store conforms to it.

I may have to call them up tonight to bring it up again since nothing actually got done the first time.

bsbrum

imported post

Here's my draft letter to the manager.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am a law abiding citizen who is also a frequent shopper at the Home Depot in Marysville. The reason I am writing is because of the “No Guns” sign that has relatively recently been placed at the front entrance of the store.

I am not a criminal. I have passed an FBI background check. I have received specific hands-on training and classroom time with an instructor on the safe and legal handling of a concealed firearm. How much do you know about the other shoppers at Home Depot or those lurking in the parking lot waiting for a victim to appear?

The “No Guns” sign should actually read “Armed Criminals & Victims Only”(edited: added) -- which is exactly the environment that the signs promote, and because of this I will take my business elsewhere. When the Lowe’s opens soon, it will be my home improvement center, but until then Ace Hardware will get my business. This really makes me sad, not only for the fact that I cannot bring myself to shop in a store that denies lawful citizens self protection, but that Ohio business owners are so dubiously lulled into a false sense of security that these signs promote. Will a criminal who is intent on robbing a customer at gun-point or holding up a cashier really care if you have a sign? You cannot honestly believe that the criminal will see the sign as anything but a great opportunity before them.

Also, the Home Depot corporation has made a statement that they do not stand in the way of citizens legally carrying firearms in their stores, and I quote from your corporate director of public relations, David Sandor: (edited)

"The Home Depot does not prohibit anyone who is legally permitted to carry firearms from entering our stores, provided the firearms are carried in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations."

I am very curious why the Marysville store seems to be the exception to that policy, and because of this I have also written to the Home Depot corporate headquarters in an attempt to clarify this issue. I also included these pictures, so that there is no confusion about the sign in question.
Of further interest, and as a matter of community feedback on this issue, it might also interest you to know that this sign has received the attention of Ohioans all over the state, who are now aware of your store’s stand against their right to self protection, and they are also warning their friends and family members that your store promotes victimization of its shoppers.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12920&forum_id=43&jump_to=223403

Sincerely yours,