• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teflon coated bullets

cdpmaster

imported post

Reading the post on the person from NC who was arrested, they made the point of asking about "teflon coated bullets". Can someone provide a cite showing the statute that mentions it.

Obviously that would make my remaining talons illegal, but with the knowledge level of most people, they would think that a moly coated reload would be the same thing.

Thanks

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cdpmaster wrote:
Reading the post on the person from NC who was arrested, they made the point of asking about "teflon coated bullets". Can someone provide a cite showing the statute that mentions it.

Obviously that would make my remaining talons illegal, but with the knowledge level of most people, they would think that a moly coated reload would be the same thing.

Thanks
Read the rest of that thread. The cites are in there...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That whole "teflon coated" messcomes from dunces/anti's/fear mongersthat think the teflon makes the bullets penetrate body armor.All it does/did is reduce barrel wear. Nothing more. Winchester only changed to "Lubalox" to quiet the dunces.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs2.htm

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon):
The ammunition was targeted by those opposed to handguns,[5][/suP] and the reputation was very different in the public,[6][/suP]and eventually the Talons became to be known by the moniker "Cop-Killer" bullets.[7][/suP] The hype of the Black Talon ammunition was the black coating on the bullets themselves. There were false rumors that the bullets were armor piercing and could penetrate the Kevlar vests worn by Police Officers.[8][/suP][9][/suP]. To further the controversy, some medical personnel claimed that the sharp barb like tips could potentially cause tears in the surgical gloves and hands of the medical workers, exposing them to greater risk of infection, [1][/suP] however there are no documented reports of this actually happening.[10][/suP]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The same ammunition is still available but without the lubricating coating -
Winchester Ranger SXT and Winchester Talon.

Yata hey

LEO 229

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.3

§ 18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

§ 18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.
That said it is not illegal to carry/use such ammunition for defensive purposes.
The next generation of ammo my even be 100% lead free.
Presently there are a small number of lead free loadings - most notable perhaps is CorBon DPX which is an outstanding load. Excellant expansion, great barrier penetration, no richocet

Interesting thought here that if a BG where to acquire some "green" (environmentally friendly) lead free ammo and use it in a crime, he would be further subject to a charge of using "restricted ammunition." Thanks that really makes me feel better.

Yata hey

LEO 229

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

That said it is not illegal to carry/use such ammunition for defensive purposes.
Presently there are a small number of lead free loadings - most notable perhaps is CorBon DPX which is an outstanding load. Excellant expansion, great barrier penetration, no richocet

Interesting thought here that if a BG where to acquire some "green" (environmentally friendly) lead free ammo and use it in a crime, he would be further subject to a charge of using "restricted ammunition." Thanks that really makes me feel better.

Yata hey
Since I have NEVER seen any bullets like this.... this code is not well known by me. I know it exists.

But as you pointed out....

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime.

It seems that you can have them as long as you are not committing a crime.

possumboy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Yata hey

Since I have NEVER seen any bullets like this.... this code is not well known by me. I know it exists.

But as you pointed out....

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime.

It seems that you can have them as long as you are not committing a crime.

The "while committing or attempting to commit a crime" wording is common in VA. The same applies to body armor: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.2

§ 18.2-287.2. Wearing of body armor while committing a crime; penalty.

Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in § 18.2-288 (2) or a felony violation of § 18.2-248 or subdivision (a) 2 or 3 of § 18.2-248.1, has in his possession a firearm or knife and is wearing body armor designed to diminish the effect of the impact of a bullet or projectile shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.

(1990, c. 936; 1997, c. 311.)

I wonder how this is affected by Waston v. United States. Which says you can trade firearms for drugs, as long as you are not "us[ing]" it during the trade. http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/07pdf/06-571.pdf