Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy in NOVA

Post imported post

I'm a "noob" to guns. I'm looking to buy my first one. I want something pretty versatile. Something that runs off of testosterone but something that you CAN carry and not look too obvious or feel too awkward.

I'm from Richmond. My friend says that there are "dozens" of places to purchase guns from in NOVA.

Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase a good used or possibly inexpensive yet decent handgun?

I'm not quite on a Desert Eagle type of budget but want to put forth a little more cash than what a cheapo would cost. Something in the middle range in most senses.

Thanks!
    Chris

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

www.guns-ammo.us
    Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas, they will take good care of you.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    http://www.guns-ammo.us
    Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas, they will take good care of you.
    +1 every one of my new gun purchases have been from Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas.

Just came home tonight with another this evening!

I too live in Springfield and do not mind the drive out to Manassas for the atmosphere and shooting the sh*t.

happy carrying,

jason

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!

First you're going to want to do agood bit of research to determine what type of handgun is best for you--revolver or semi-automatic. Google might help. Plus most beginner books have advice on selecting a gun.

Then you're going to wantto visit some vendors to:

• handle the gun candidates--see how they feel in your hand
    • check prices--see whatpricesare like out there
    • rent and shoot the candidates if possible at ashooting range

Then you buy one.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Welcome to OCDO!!

First you're going to want to do agood bit of research to determine what type of handgun is best for you--revolver or semi-automatic. Google might help. Plus most beginner books have advice on selecting a gun.

Then you're going to wantto visit some vendors to:
    • handle the gun candidates--see how they feel in your hand
    • check prices--see whatpricesare like out there
    • rent and shoot the candidates if possible at ashooting range
    Then you buy one.

Are there any places that let you buy and shoot? Or visa versa?

Post imported post

Gilberts off of Terminal Road in Lorton and Blue Ridge out in Chantilly.

Post imported post

You can rent different guns to shoot at Blue Ridge Arsenal but prices and selection aren't that great. I think Gilberts Small Arms Range does too, but very expensive for purchases.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    You can rent different guns to shoot at Blue Ridge Arsenal but prices and selection aren't that great. I think Gilberts Small Arms Range does too, but very expensive for purchases.
    Gilberts IMHO is indeed expensive for purchase and i would also agree that the selection at Blue Ridge is lacking.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
    Gilberts off of Terminal Road in Lorton
    Has a good selection of guns to try. They don't have everything made by any means. But there is enough to get you started.

Range membership, monthly is about $12-15. Gun rental is about $10(?), plus hearing and eye protection if you don't have your own.

Plus a box of ammo. They only let you shoot range ammo in rental guns--helps keep from blowing up rentals with homemade ammo.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    No.

You buy it, you shoot it, you keep it. No returns--unless there is an obvious manufacturing defect. Then you send your gun back to the manufacturer yourself for warranty (if any) work. That is if its new. Most used guns are sold "as is."

Post imported post

I've had really good luck dealing with Virginia Arms for purchases, also in Manassas.

HTH

Jason

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

If you can hold off for three weeks, there is a major gun show the weekend of July 25 through 27 at the Dulles Expo in Chantilly. Upwards of 1000 tables with over half of them displaying firearms. A great chance to view and handle a lot of different pieces and get really good pricing.

Do your homework beforehand. Learn as much as you can about the subject. And also learn to tune out the BS because you are certain to get a boatload of that.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    No.

You buy it, you shoot it, you keep it. No returns--unless there is an obvious manufacturing defect. Then you send your gun back to the manufacturer yourself for warranty (if any) work. That is if its new. Most used guns are sold "as is."
    I don't mean buy it, shoot it and then return it.

I mean either buy it and then shoot it (no return).

Or

Shoot it and then buy a new version of it.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    If you can hold off for three weeks, there is a major gun show the weekend of July 25 through 27 at the Dulles Expo in Chantilly. Upwards of 1000 tables with over half of them displaying firearms. A great chance to view and handle a lot of different pieces and get really good pricing.

Do your homework beforehand. Learn as much as you can about the subject. And also learn to tune out the BS because you are certain to get a boatload of that.

Is Manassas just the place for guns in the NOVA area?

Post imported post

If you live in Springfield... Going to the gun show will cost an extra $10 you must add to the price of the weapon.. The local shops charge typically list price. Call Furr Supply Co., 703-620-0441 (Vienna)

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    You've obviously been going to gun shows at a different Dulles Expo Center than I have...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I buy from a guy named Joe in Leesburg.

JG Elarde Firearms, 209 Cranbrook Drive NE Leesburg, VA 20176, 703-779-2461 , elardej@verizon.net (by appointment)

Tell him that "Ed" sent ya and your price will probably double!
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I have the name of a guy in Sterling that is a FFL dealer. He will order the gun you want... and charge you in between his cost and MSRP.

He makes a little something..... you save a little something!!

NEVER buy from a store as you pay the full price!

PM me if you are interested.

BTW: This is NOT a friend of mine and I never met him. My wife used him for a transfer and he told her she could have bought the gun for less from him.

He will split the difference and you both win!

Post imported post

I bought a used XD-9 Subcompact at Gilberts. Why buy new when you can buy "pre-owned"?

The salesman showed me how to fieldstrip it. It was obvious that the gun been fired only a few times. Look down the barrel to see how shiny it is and how much wear, if any, exists.

I like the XD, it fits well in my hand. I also rented a Glock to try. It was ok.

Happy shopping!

Post imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
    Blue Ridge out in Chantilly.
    I have been to blue ridge once, never goin back ever again. Those guys were just plain dicks to me for no reason. I am not one who likes to go into a store aking for something for my 1911 and getting a frickin lecture on why the glock is badass or whatever either...

So can one get some deals at places like Virginia Arms and Guns & Ammo Warehouse? I have only ever been to VA arms to pick up 2 new magazines. Do they buy as well as sell? I sure would like to do a trade in I think. (hey I would like to keep it and have two but thats not happening considering im a poor sombitch). Do either of them sell used guns or just new stuff? (again goin along the lines of, "I am poor", I am not opposed to buying a used gun... in fact... this one I have is used.)

Post imported post

Both VA Arms and G&A Warehouse sell new and used guns and consignments.

Post imported post

There is another shop in Woodbridge called Dawsons (Route 1). I thought Gilbert's prices were high, until I walked into Dawsons! LOL

+1 to VA Arms though. They've got decent prices and their staff is top knotch.

I met Bruce Furr at the NRA range by accident. He was in the next aisle shooting a Kimber .22 conversion and I got to talking to him. Real nice guy and he let me shoot a few mags through it.

There are good prices at the Nations show coming up so wait till then to purchase. Most dealers have no problems with you picking up the gun to get a feel for it. It's good place to hold a lot of guns to see what fits you best. Of course there are awfully high prices too, but you have to do your own research to see if it's a deal.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you're thinking of carrying you should invest in at least a basic pistol course. Gilberts offers one, so does the member Pourshot on the OCDO forums

Post imported post

XD Owner wrote:
    I bought a used XD-9 Subcompact at Gilberts. Why buy new when you can buy "pre-owned"?

The salesman showed me how to fieldstrip it. It was obvious that the gun been fired only a few times. Look down the barrel to see how shiny it is and how much wear, if any, exists.

I like the XD, it fits well in my hand. I also rented a Glock to try. It was ok.

Happy shopping!
    I agree...the people at Gilberts are very friendly and helpful. They're the main reason I bought a membership at their range.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    PM me if you are interested.
    Leo,

I am interested, but I do not PM (low tech: that would be me). Want my email?

Post imported post

Did you turn them off? Or do you not know how to send them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast