• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where to buy in NOVA

eyesopened

imported post

There is another shop in Woodbridge called Dawsons (Route 1). I thought Gilbert's prices were high, until I walked into Dawsons! LOL

+1 to VA Arms though. They've got decent prices and their staff is top knotch.

I met Bruce Furr at the NRA range by accident. He was in the next aisle shooting a Kimber .22 conversion and I got to talking to him. Real nice guy and he let me shoot a few mags through it.

There are good prices at the Nations show coming up so wait till then to purchase. Most dealers have no problems with you picking up the gun to get a feel for it. It's good place to hold a lot of guns to see what fits you best. Of course there are awfully high prices too, but you have to do your own research to see if it's a deal.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you're thinking of carrying you should invest in at least a basic pistol course. Gilberts offers one, so does the member Pourshot on the OCDO forums

nova

imported post

XD Owner wrote:
I bought a used XD-9 Subcompact at Gilberts. Why buy new when you can buy "pre-owned"? :lol:

The salesman showed me how to fieldstrip it. It was obvious that the gun been fired only a few times. Look down the barrel to see how shiny it is and how much wear, if any, exists.

I like the XD, it fits well in my hand. I also rented a Glock to try. It was ok.

Happy shopping!
I agree...the people at Gilberts are very friendly and helpful. They're the main reason I bought a membership at their range.

LEO 229

imported post

Did you turn them off? Or do you not know how to send them? :lol:

Eeyore

imported post

richarcm wrote:
....I'm from Richmond. My friend says that there are "dozens" of places to purchase guns from in NOVA.

Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase a good used or possibly inexpensive yet decent handgun?
Consider Quantico Tactical Supply, http://www.quanticoarms.com/just behind Potomac Mills mall. They carry XDs, H&Ks, and probably others.

hsmith

imported post

Eeyore wrote:
richarcm wrote:
....I'm from Richmond. My friend says that there are "dozens" of places to purchase guns from in NOVA.

Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase a good used or possibly inexpensive yet decent handgun?
Consider Quantico Tactical Supply, http://www.quanticoarms.com/just behind Potomac Mills mall. They carry XDs, H&Ks, and probably others.
As of last week they still didn't have their FFL

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
If you can hold off for three weeks, there is a major gun show the weekend of July 25 through 27 at the Dulles Expo in Chantilly. Upwards of 1000 tables with over half of them displaying firearms. A great chance to view and handle a lot of different pieces and get really good pricing.
You've obviously been going to gun shows at a different Dulles Expo Center than I have...
Relative to gun shop prices, gun show prices tend to be 15 - 25% less as a general rule (I know, no such thing).

For example, a Kahr PM9 will run around $474 at a gun show and at least $595 at a shop - usually. You can pick up a Glock (such as a 19 or a 23) with standard sights for around $479 at a show.

Virginia Arms in Manassas is a pretty good shop with decent shop prices. And they are willing to take some off of the price if you ask. But not much.. and certainly not as much as you will find at a gun show.

Hope this helps.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

richarcm wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
If you can hold off for three weeks, there is a major gun show the weekend of July 25 through 27 at the Dulles Expo in Chantilly. Upwards of 1000 tables with over half of them displaying firearms. A great chance to view and handle a lot of different pieces and get really good pricing.

Do your homework beforehand. Learn as much as you can about the subject. And also learn to tune out the BS because you are certain to get a boatload of that.
Is Manassas just the place for guns in the NOVA area?
No. There is Fairfax, Loudoun, and Faquier counties as well. Manassas, and its immediate surrounds, has three gun shops of which I am aware. I tend to patronize two of them because I like the people and they have stuff I tend to look for. They are Virginia Arms and Guns and Ammo Warehouse. The older guy at G&A Warehouse is a great one to talk to and full of information.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

richarcm wrote:
SNIP I mean either buy it and then shoot it (no return).

Or

Shoot it and then buy a new version of it.

Sorry.

Yes, Gilberts will. I think Blue Ridge Arsenal might.

However, I'd shop around on prices. My last handgun was about $150 less than local shops when I bought from Trader Jerry's booth at the Dale City gun show.

nova

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
richarcm wrote:

As of last week they still didn't have their FFL
Sadly this is true. I stopped by last week to get a SERPA fortheXD45 Tac I just bought.

treadresistant

imported post

I've bought 2 guns from Virginia Arms and I got 2 of my friends to buy their first guns there too. If you go there, just talk to them, tell them what you're interested in, and that you don't know a whole lot about guns. They'll explain the pros and cons, and definitely don't feel like you have to purchase at the first shop you go to.

I also think Clark Brothers will let you shoot the guns, or they have some sort of gun shoot where you can try things out. Since you're from richmond, dominion shooting range http://www.dominionshootingrange.com/ rents guns as well.

richarcm

imported post

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I made the long haul out to Manassas today. I visited Virginia Ammo and Guns & Ammo.

Between the two I like Virginia Ammo the most. They guy I talked to there was WAY MORE than wanting to help. He was very nice. The gun selection was great. Seemed like it was a popular store as it was packed with people.

However I ended up buying my new PT 1911 from Guns & Ammo. The guys there were also very helpful but only after flagging them down and requesting help. As annoying as it is to have someone keep asking if you need help it is something I expect and ultimately look for.

I understand that the PT 1911 may not be best handgun or 1911 on the market. But for the price it seems to get pretty good reviews. Now I just want to get some laser grips for it. :)

Thank you everyone for your help!

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
I have been to blue ridge once, never goin back ever again. Those guys were just plain dicks to me for no reason. I am not one who likes to go into a store aking for something for my 1911 and getting a frickin lecture on why the glock is badass or whatever either...

So can one get some deals at places like Virginia Arms and Guns & Ammo Warehouse? (snip)

I picked up 5 new Chip McCormick magazines at Virginia Arms and one of them was just a hair wider than it should have been and was not dropping free like it should have out of my Taurus PT1911. I went back to the store with my unloaded Taurus in a case so I could try some different mags in it before I bought them, just to save myself a trip in case there were others that were out of spec.

When I came in the store, one of the employees asked if he could help me, so I explained that I was there to exchange an oversized magazine for one that would eject properly. I opened my case to show him how the defective mag hung up instead of dropping free, and as soon as he saw my gun he said, "I see what your problem is." I thought, "Wow, I'm lucky I got this guy to help me. He must be a master gunsmith or something." Then he said, "It's a Taurus. Those are total garbage. You're lucky it hasn't gone full auto on you."

After getting the defective magazine replaced I left, and now I shop at Guns & Ammo Warehouse just down the road. The people who work there aren't biased and bigoted against my gun, which has performed perfectly for over 2000 rounds without any FTFs, FTEs or any other problems. Oh, and it hasn't gone full auto on me either.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I made the long haul out to Manassas today. I visited Virginia Ammo and Guns & Ammo.

Between the two I like Virginia Ammo the most. They guy I talked to there was WAY MORE than wanting to help. He was very nice. The gun selection was great. Seemed like it was a popular store as it was packed with people.

However I ended up buying my new PT 1911 from Guns & Ammo. The guys there were also very helpful but only after flagging them down and requesting help. As annoying as it is to have someone keep asking if you need help it is something I expect and ultimately look for.

I understand that the PT 1911 may not be best handgun or 1911 on the market. But for the price it seems to get pretty good reviews. Now I just want to get some laser grips for it. :)

Thank you everyone for your help!

You made a good choice. The Taurus may not have the best finish in the world, but I think that the worn bluing gives it more character. I'm pretty sure that you're going to really like your purchase.

(edited to change the font size)

NOCSA

imported post

i am going tohold off for three weeks, July 25 through 27 at the Dulles Expo in Chantilly... and get really good pricing.

just my $.02 :)

richarcm

imported post

Yeah screw all that. ;) Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?

NOCSA wrote:
i am going tohold off for three weeks, July 25 through 27 at the Dulles Expo in Chantilly... and get really good pricing.

just my $.02 :)