• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA guy coming to OR

Brian2050

imported post

I will be heading to Oregon tomorrow for vacation. My family and I are heading to the Alvord desert region to do some exploring/off road driving. I was just wondering if I would run into any trouble in the area OC'ing. I am guessing there aren't too many concerned citizens in the area to make a fuss, but I would just like to make sure. I have a WA CPL but obviously that doesn't help. Thanks!

-Brian

ccw9mm

imported post

You can visit the state and openly carry, yes. You can have a firearm in your residence (even a temporary one [ie, tent, RV]). You can have one with you while engaged in hunting or any other lawful purpose, essentially.

Check ORS 166.250, which says, basically, that so long as you aren't otherwise prohibited from having/carrying a firearm, you can carry. Unless you have a CHL recognized by Oregon, it must be carried openly. It can be in your residence, even if that's temporary.

And ORS 166.260 adds that the prohibitions in 166.250 about carrying are tossed out the window if you end up using it and claiming an affirmative defense exception (as would be the case if justifiably using it for self-defense against attack).

You're also in possession of a Washington CHL. While not acknowledged in Oregon for concealed carry, it certainly marks you as a "good guy" to authorities, if push comes to shove.

So, I think you're good to go.

Enjoy the visit. :)

smoke

imported post

So let me get this right. I am on my way to Oregon from Utah. As long as I open carry, I'm good to go! If I have my gun in my car it has to be out of reach and totally unloaded. Also I can't carry concealed. Is this corect?? Thanks, smoke

ccw9mm

imported post

smoke wrote:
So let me get this right. I am on my way to Oregon from Utah. As long as I open carry, I'm good to go! If I have my gun in my car it has to be out of reach and totally unloaded. Also I can't carry concealed. Is this corect?? Thanks, smoke

ORS 166.250 describes the unlawful possession of firearms.

ORS 166.250 (b) says it's unlawful to: Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle

ORS 166.250 (3) says: Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

Be cautious about driving with it, as a firearm that isn't readily visible (as it wouldn't be while driving) might be considered by an LEO as concealed from view. Semantics, but it is what it is. The law allows that variation, and merely having it on an OWB/belt holster doesn't necessarily ensure you'll be seen as complying with the law. Safer would be: stored unloaded in the locked glove box.

A Utah CHL covers you in Nevada and Idaho for either concealed or open carry, though it's not recognized in Oregon. But, Oregon allows open carry. Municipalities can be a bit of a wrinkle, as they can regulate loaded firearms for folks who don't have an Oregon CHL. ie, Portland, in which you simply need to openly carry an unloaded firearm instead, without the magazine/bullets attached to the firearm in any way. Read this thread, for further info on municipal restrictions beyond the state law.

Without an Oregon CHL, you need to beware of "public buildings" (see ORS 166.370) and a couple other gems.

Read the ORS 166 statutes for further info. If still concerned, pick up a copy of Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws: A Guide To Gun Ownership In Plain English, by Kevin Starrett (available on the Oregon Firearms Federation web site).

So, basically, yes you can carry from Utah to Oregon, with a few caveats.

smoke

imported post

but I can come there and smoke pot, right? :? thanks for the info. I'll keep it locked and unloaded. I have a friend who moved there couple of years ago and I understand he is working as a LEO in some small town. I'll see if he cant get me hooked up with a ccp. thanks for the info, good thing I havent been caught bringing my pistol up there over the last 20 yrs. Besides packn' on the beach makes for funny tan lines. smoke