• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning OC meet and greet in Las Vegas area

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Everyone who is interested in participating in an OC meet and greet in the Las Vegas area, please PM me your contact info along with some preferred dates/times over the next month. I will work on finding an OC-friendly business where we can get together out of the heat.

Given the summer being what it is here, I was thinking we might shoot for a Saturday morning breakfast/brunch. A few of us are in Henderson, I know others are out near Summerlin or Southern Highlands. If we don't have folks coming from North Vegas or Summerlin, we could shoot for something in Green Valley along the 215. If we have north-town folks interested too, we can try something more central to the valley.

The Bass Pro Shop (Outdoor World) at 15 and Blue Diamond is another possibility. Their corporate policy is clear, but I've heard of folks being hassled at that store.

yeahYeah

imported post

I live in the northern part of the valley but am up for something. I go to Bass Pro a lot and attend church in Henderson, so i am all over...

I will PM you.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd like to go too.

As unsolicited advice for all, first and foremost, DON'T TALK to the police. Anything you say MAY be used against but WILL NOT help you period.

Though it is unlikely we'll encounter any negative situations, it is important advice to follow. If you choose to ignore this advice, avoid any reference to this site or any other affiliations. We are FRIENDS meeting for LEISURE. Consider a loose interpretation NRS 412.604. IANAL and don't know how/whether anyone has ever been charged under it, but why risk it?

If you're not familiar with this law, it's easy to find on the legislative web site. But if you don't know this law, what others don't you know? All the more reason to avoid talking to police period. Not that I advocate breaking the law, but are you SURE you know and understand each of the millions of federal, state and local laws in force? How about the US Supreme Court rulings about interpretations and applications of each of them (let alone the millions of cases lower courts have made rulings on)?

"Ignore of the law is no excuse" may be the de facto standard in law enforcement, but I'm willing to bet you didn't even score 100% on your written DMV traffic laws test, right? I didn't but I consider myself a safe, law-abiding driver. I know cops who say that EVERY driver breaks the law at some point. A police officer need only follow you long enough to find a traffic infraction that justifies pulling you over. Again, don't knowing break the law (DUH!) but don't put yourself in a position of accidentally confessing to something you didn't know was a crime by offering an innocent explanation on the grounds that you "have nothing to hide".

And by all means, do not resist (except to refuse to talk). If you're arrested, it will suck, but you'll have your day in court. If there's enough reason to arrest you without you saying a word, you can bet your ass there's nothing you can say to stop it, and you risk inadvertently incriminating yourself/others and/or confessing to something you didn't even know was a crime.

And even though ignorance of the law is "no excuse" having sat on several juries in my life, I know I have compassion for a defendant on trial for unknowingly breaking an obscure law. If the arresting officer testifies you were citing NRS code sections, city ordinances, etc, I would think a jury would be far less compassionate toward a defense claim of ignorance.

Notwithstanding anything I just said, unless everyone in the group is arrested, there will likely be opportunity for a bystander to communicate with one of the (many, I assume) LE backup officers without risk of interfering in the investigation or arrest. Having a few of the pamphlets Felid came up with, combined with copies of any emails we have accumulated through our communication efforts, might be enough to warrant that backup LE to discuss/reconsider the situation with the lead officer. When I say "communicate with...LE" I mean simply volunteering the literature, but no other information.

Thoughts?

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tim, good post. My thoughts are that you nailed it with:
DON'T TALK to the police. Anything you say MAY be used against but WILL NOT help you period.
There is no law under which someone can be prosecuted in Nevada for merely open carrying in public. There's no need to answer anything other than your name.

We are NOT required to carry ID if open carrying. We are NOT required to carry blue cards. We are NOT required to engage in conversation with the police.

"Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" should be the mantra.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wasn't trying to suggest we were planning to do anything illegal.

I 100% agree with you.

"Am I being detained? Am I free to go?" should be the mantra.

And regardless of the answers to the above questions, there is no need or reason to say anything else. If you're free to go, by all means, do so. But not without first getting the cops business card so you can follow up with a complaint that you were intimidated to stop going about your lawful business and felt like you had to leave.

What a party pooper, eh? I'm really not "that guy" who sits around and plans things to the n-th degree. I just figured since our common viewpoint and assertion of rights is such a hotly debated topic nationwide that it was important to reinforce this basic and fundamental premise - like reminding guests at your party not to drink and drive. I know this forum is about our 2nd amendment rights, but I'd be willing to bet most of us can be just as passionate about our 1st, 4th and 5th amendment rights as well.

Tim

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I probably should have clarified... if you have specific dates/times that are a problem, please PM me. I just thought it would be easier that way than cluttering the forum with 100 messages about who's got what going on when.

If you're just interested in coming and are flexible, please just check in to the thread here so we can get an approximate count.

Thanks!

Wheel

imported post

I live in north town. Down for something in the afternoon, but not evening.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Okay, the two likely spots we have are PT's or IHOP. There are a number of them throughout the valley, and from what I've been able to find out, both appear to be gun-neutral at minimum.

Any other suggestions before we nail down a time and place?

P.S. I'm expecting a baby any day now, so it may be a couple weeks unless someone else wants to take the ball and run with it sooner.

yeahYeah

imported post

icode wrote:
Sure. Not Bass Pro though, they make you put their trigger lock on your firearm. I don't even shop there anymore :X
i know, same here. there are plenty of things in that store that can be used as a weapon, so i don't know what they are worried about.

yeahYeah

imported post

bobernet wrote:
Okay, the two likely spots we have are PT's or IHOP. There are a number of them throughout the valley, and from what I've been able to find out, both appear to be gun-neutral at minimum.

Any other suggestions before we nail down a time and place?

P.S. I'm expecting a baby any day now, so it may be a couple weeks unless someone else wants to take the ball and run with it sooner.
PT's is cool with me...

icode

imported post

PT's is fine with me, but aren't we pushing our "luck" a bit? I mean PT's is a bar... Don't matter to me though, if you guys say it's cool then I'm there. Which one? There is a nice one on Warm Springs near the 215.

Shane.

CowboyKen

imported post

icode wrote:
PT's is fine with me, but aren't we pushing our "luck" a bit? I mean PT's is a bar... Don't matter to me though, if you guys say it's cool then I'm there. Which one? There is a nice one on Warm Springs near the 215.

Shane.

So what that it is a bar, it is perfectly legal to carry in a bar, and to have a drink if you like. Just don't get drunk. The legal limit for BAC while in possession of a firearm, in Nevada, is 0.10 (the DUI limit is lower, 0.08).

Kwn

icode

imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
icode wrote:

Shane.

So what that it is a bar, it is perfectly legal to carry in a bar, and to have a drink if you like. Just don't get drunk. The legal limit for BAC while in possession of a firearm, in Nevada, is 0.10 (the DUI limit is lower, 0.08).

Kwn
Okay Ken. Since I'm fairly new to actually KNOWING the laws and my rights I have some trouble keeping them all straight... Information overload:shock:

Cat Doc

imported post

Is that the PT's at the corner of Warm Springs & Placid, about a mile west of the 215? What time on Saturday? Larry