• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Szymecki v. Norfolk 2nd Amendment case dismissed by Judge Morgan!

nova

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Yeah, but I don't think the FEDERAL court has jurisdiction over claims made under the state constitution.

I will go so far as to say an RKBA claim on the basis of the state constitution must be made in STATE court.
oops...I missed that part about being in a federal court.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
What the hell? How is it that "the Norfolk ordinance is valid under Virginia Law"?

See page four, section IV.

That's the defendants assertion. The court is just re-stating a summary of the City's list of reasons. Which is kind of funny given that the Citymanager or somebodyapologized and said not long after the incident something to the effect Chet wasn't breaking the law.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
So basically, this judge is either ignorant of, or purposefully ignoring VA State law?

Nope! :banghead:

The judge is on the bench of a Federal court, hearing claims of violations of Constitutional rights. There are no claims of state law violation before this judge.

That the Norfolk ordinance was violative of state pre-emption law is not the question in this case. That issue was briefly mentioned in passing, and properly was not given any notice by the Federal court.

In case anyone missed it, the judge's order was exceedingly kind/gracious in that it allows defective pleadings to be amended so that they address issues where the plaintif has a better chance of succeeding. In other words, the jusge pointed out where Chet and his lawyers goofed, told them what Amendments they should have cited as being violated, and granted permission (read: encouraged) to amend the pleadings to cite those Amendments instead.

When a judge tells you he cannot help you under one Amendment but can go postal against Norfolk under another Amendment, you ought to listen and do what the judge tells you. :idea:

Chet will have his justice when all is said and done - do not despair. :monkey

stay safe.

skidmark

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Great points, Skidmark. I have frequently read court cases for nearly 15 years for work and have seen this scenario as you discussed it several times. I typically see it in cases where it is obvious that the judge sympathizes with the plaintiff and is giving them a road map for successfully bringing the case.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Great points, Skidmark. I have frequently read court cases for nearly 15 years for work and have seen this scenario as you discussed it several times. I typically see it in cases where it is obvious that the judge sympathizes with the plaintiff and is giving them a road map for successfully bringing the case.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'd just like to reframe the comment.

The judge is not only giving a roadmap for sucess, but ispersonally driving the bus that Norfolk et al. will be thrown under. :celebrate

In case anybody does not understand, let my say this - the federal judge WANTS Chet to win. He WANTS it so badly he can taste it.

stay safe.

skidmark

AbNo

imported post

skidmark wrote:
The judge is not only giving a roadmap for sucess, but ispersonally driving the bus that Norfolk et al. will be thrown under. :celebrate

In case anybody does not understand, let my say this - the federal judge WANTS Chet to win. He WANTS it so badly he can taste it.
Ah, I am wiser. Thanks, Skid!

Also, :lol: at the bus comment.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
Question (not disagreeing). Do you conclude that based solely on the wording of the judge's order or on other information?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Deep, go back and re-read the decision, take Skid's comments into consideration when you do it. ;)
I have. I have now read it twice more. I don't disagree with skidmark as I said, I just am not prepared myself to make such a strong claim as to the judge's position based upon my reading which is why I asked the question.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
skidmark wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
Question (not disagreeing). Do you conclude that based solely on the wording of the judge's order or on other information?

There is a great deal that will remain unsaid by me regardingmy conclusion that the judge is gearing up to drive a bus. I am willing to say that much of what leads me to my conclusion is based on judicial history - not just with this specific judge or with this specific court.

stay safe.

skidmark

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
skidmark wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark

There is a great deal that will remain unsaid by me regardingmy conclusion that the judge is gearing up to drive a bus. I am willing to say that much of what leads me to my conclusion is based on judicial history - not just with this specific judge or with this specific court.

stay safe.

skidmark
If you change your mind about it "remain(ing) unsaid", I would very much like to read your reasoning on the forum or in PM. I say that because I have come to respect your opinion and I ask to learn, not to challenge. Regardless, our opinions differ only as to matter of degree but not as to substance.

Lysander

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
skidmark wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
If you change your mind about it "remain(ing) unsaid", I would very much like to read your reasoning on the forum or in PM. I say that because I have come to respect your opinion and I ask to learn, not to challenge. Regardless, our opinions differ only as to matter of degree but not as to substance.
Heh. Likewise, I'd be interested - as I try extremely hard not to use the words "slam dunk" or "open and shut" no matter how much I'm pestered to do so. ;)

casullshooter

imported post

If the Judge is not driving the bus , he gave a well marked map to the plaintiffs lawyer. As to incorporation, Alan Gura spoke of this at the recent VCDL meeting at length. Go to VCDLs website and watch the video.

Regards