• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Joe Horn No Billed by Houston Grand Jury

DocNTexas

imported post

Idid not see this posted, so here it is.

For those who have not heard, Monday, a Houston Grand Jury heard Joe Horn's case and No Billed him (i.e chose not to indict him). Joe Horn was the man who back in November 2007 confronted two illegal aliens from Columbia who he witnessedburglarizing his neighbor's home and ultimately shot and killed them both. His case drew widespread attention and response from civil rights organizations, includingAl Sharpton,Jesse Jackson and other influential leaders and groups, who staged protests in front of Mr. Horns home. Supporters of Mr. Horn rallied in response and a near riot ensued. The case has been a hot topic of debate.

Mr. Horn was forced to leave his home (and the town) following the incident, due to threats against him and therelentless harassment by themedia. While this ruling has cleared him (for now) against prosecution, he will probably have to endure another round of threats and media harassment as a result, especially with stories like Anderson Cooper and others national reporting shows (notice I did not say news programs, because that would require facts) have been putting out.I watched AC360's report on it tonight and in his usual form he was twisting the story,misrepresentingfacts and outright fabricating information and presenting it as fact in order to bolster his long evidentanti-gun agenda.

Considering the fact that an indictments is really easy to get (mainly because only the prosecution is allowed to present evidence to the Grand Jury) and the fact that the Harris County DA is strongly anti-gun, the fact that the Grand Jury failed to indict him either says there was very little evidence against him or it says a lot about how peoplein Houston feel about their crime situation.

Doc

Orange

imported post

I feel as a Harris County citizen that the DA should be fired due to mismanagement of resources. When a law states you can do something, why are you going to continue to waste time spinning your county's wheels trying to see if you have a chance of prosecuting someone following the law? It's almost as bad as the Fire Marshall's waiting by firework stands following you home to see if you cross a road that is annexed.

tripledipper

imported post

Just listened to Joe Horn's 911 call on a LEO website. The dispatcher was just doing his job by trying to talk him out of leaving his home and confronting these mutts, but if more folks would take thebull by the horns and take some action like he didthe word would get around that burglary in broad daylight might not be a good idea. Screw all the liberal media whores!

DocNTexas

imported post

tripledipper wrote:
Just listened to Joe Horn's 911 call on a LEO website. The dispatcher was just doing his job by trying to talk him out of leaving his home and confronting these mutts, but if more folks would take thebull by the horns and take some action like he didthe word would get around that burglary in broad daylight might not be a good idea. Screw all the liberal media whores!

Yes, the dispatcher did his job as he was taught. We teach dispatchers to respond this way 1.) to keep the caller safe from the incident; and 2.) because of liability reasons. This protects them from liability if you get hurt.

I do not fault the dispatcher or the responding police officers for their actions. The fact that they did not arrest Mr. Horn after the incident tells me that they agreed that the shootings were justified. And although I do not agree with the views of the Harris County DA's office on gun right and the way they choose to interpret these laws, I do not necessarily fault him for taking this case to the grand jury in light of the racial tension it stirred in the community. This way he can show that the decision not to prosecute Mr. Horn was not just his but that of a panel of jurors.

The bad part is the expense to Mr. Horn to defend himself from the charges of doing something right on behalf of his neighbor and his neighborhood. He essentially gave up a normal life and his home in a neighborhood he cared about in order to make it safer for the rest of his neighbors.

The worst part is that the liberal media circus that followed will wreck his life even more in their efforts to further their agenda. While his actions may not fall in the ranks of hero, they certainly were noble and unselfish and I hope his life can now return to some degree of normalcy.

Doc