• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We need some kind of moderation...

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Since the throwing out the baby with the bath water incident, the forum has turned into a flood of duplicate posts. Every single noteworthy news event, TV show, website poll, or discussion ends up in 2 or 3 or 5 different threads spread across different sub-forums.

Please, John and Mike, don't let your reaction to the misbehavior of a single moderator damage such a great forum. Please reinstate BobCav, longwatch, and anyone else you feel competent to do a good job. It only takes a moment to remove a moderator who is out of control... making the rules for moderators clear up front should help avoid any issues later.

We need a few good men (or women)!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I noticed it to but it looks like John cleared some duplicate posts up already. I've posted dups too, but Ive learned I need to look before I post. Self moderation would help a lot to take the load off of John and Mike.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Since we have a lot of new members, perhaps it's worth repeating:

Folks, though you may only check your particular state forum for issues pertinent to your state, there are manyof us that are active nationwide. Many local itemsthat mayaffect gun rights on a nationallevelare posted in theNews & Political Alertssection, not necessarily in a state forum. The Joe Horn issue for example.

Please check News & Political Alertsor use the search feature at the top of the page before posting. It will save the admins a lot of time "housekeeping" and make browsing easier for everyone!

Thanks!

Sheriff

imported post

bobernet wrote:
Since the throwing out the baby with the bath water incident, the forum has turned into a flood of duplicate posts..... Please, John and Mike, don't let your reaction to the misbehavior of a single moderator damage such a great forum.
Don't you recall what John said? Notice the part highlighted in red below. Seems his decision wasn't based on the most flagrant and repeated misbehavoir of just one moderator.

jpierce wrote:
OpenCarry.org has been an act of love and dedication for Mike and myself and we are proud of the work that we have done and even prouder of the work that has been done by the men and women who post here and then go forth into their communities to protect and enhance our rights.

As we have grown, we have experienced growing pains. We have seen spammers and bots and trolls as well as posters who did not exemplify the goals and attitudes we wanted the world to associate with OpenCarry.org. In response to these incidents, we added member-moderators who could help us to keep the forum on track and family-friendly.

However, this itself has lead to any number of issues over the last year.
And now, we find ourselves at a point where we are experiencing another bout of incredible growth and the number of new users and visitors is skyrocketing. In the midst of this, we are facing yet another internal battle that has blossomed into a firestorm and has seen the reputation and good name of one of America's most respected gun rights organization and its president questioned by an OpenCarry.org moderator.

While we support his right to speak freely and defend his beliefs, his position as moderator made it seem as if we were somehow advocating or allowing this attack. Let me make this perfectly clear ... WE WERE NOT!

Quite frankly, neither Mike nor I have time to keep fielding these types of issues. We both work real jobs, attend law school, care for our families and still try to find the time to work on the single issue that we feel is most important to the future of liberty in this great nation. We do NOT have time to put out fires that we did not start!!! And I might add that these types of issues are not conducive to making us look professional in the eyes of all of the new visitors we are attracting.

Therefore, we have made the decision that AS OF THIS MOMENT, the ONLY people who will have ANY moderation or administration powers on OpenCarry.org will be Mike and me. We regret that it has come to this but we look forward to a future where we will not be continually inundated by issues not of our making and can focus on doing our best to simply serve the cause of open carry and of gun-rights in general.

PS. The next time we need to email a legislator, I expect every single person who emailed me about this issue to display the same passion in their support of our cause. :)

tattedupboy

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Since we have a lot of new members, perhaps it's worth repeating:

Folks, though you may only check your particular state forum for issues pertinent to your state, there are manyof us that are active nationwide. Many local itemsthat mayaffect gun rights on a nationallevelare posted in theNews & Political Alertssection, not necessarily in a state forum. The Joe Horn issue for example.

Please check News & Political Alertsor use the search feature at the top of the page before posting. It will save the admins a lot of time "housekeeping" and make browsing easier for everyone!

Thanks!
+1 on that. Nevertheless, I get the feeling that some people will continue to be lazy and complain that moderators should be fixing what they can fix on their own.