• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Locking the doors?

MetalChris

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Friends of mine had a condo next to King Street in Arlington, right near Section 8 housing.

All the time they would see those hoodlems walking car to car, pulling on the door handle to see which was open, to their neighbors a few blocks away.
OT, but they're moving Section 8 folks into base housing at Wright-Patt...that's why I'm getting my family the frack outta there...just closed on my first house this past Monday. :)

XD40coyote

imported post

My mother and even my father on occasion have locked me out of the house. This is followed by me angrily banging on the locked door, since it seems to always be thatI don't have a key for the doors, since they got new doors and with them new locks. Usually I go through the garage to mudroom door and use my garage door opener to open the garage door to access the inner usually unlocked door. Things are so silly here that I think my parents also don't carry the keys for these new doors and locks, but due to a slip of the mind think I am in the house along with themselves, so they go locking the doors, including that mudroom door. My mother also locks that door in the morning when she goes to work, like 2 mean dogs and a daughter with a 9mmnear the bedaren't enough to guard the house if the garage door is breeched.:banghead:

My mother has locked doors rediculously for years,I guess old city habits die hard.

On the opposite side of things, my dad didn't lock the doors to his pickup one day when we went to PA for lunch. He simply overlooked it for some reason. We ate lunch and came back to the unlocked truck and nothing was touched. AMAZING! And yes there are some drug addicts and general lowlifes in the area, but overall the crime rate is very low.

41 Magnum

imported post

Home security-

You want multiple layers:Keep your cell phone charged and on you, havean alarm sign, neighborhood watch signs, agood fence, motion lights, sturdy locks, sturdy doors in sturdy frames, keep your valuables locked up and out of sight, etc. The last line? Your firearm.

The object is to cost the perp TIME. The more time he spends defeating yoursecurity, the less likely he will be to accomplish his goal, and the more time you have to summon help,the more time he spends being potentially noticed byneighbors, etc.