• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder/Chest Holsters

Dustin

imported post

Does anyone open/conceal carry with one of these ?

I know the BlackHawk Serpa seems to be the most popular as far as hip holsters go, I also own a Leg Holster from when I was in the Corps, but I think wearing a leg holster to open carry would look a little silly.

Any Suggestions ?

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will use a thigh rig at night when I go for walks with the family. I was recently indirectly involved in an altercation here on base and the SF that were evolved had a thigh rig on. As a guy being questioned was getting a bit loud the SF the SF had his hand resting on his 9mm, and no one noticed but me being that I am into firearms and holsters. So that week I ordered one for evenings walk around the neighborhood, maybe more.

Erus

imported post

If I am feeling too lazy to carry the .45.. I often put the wife's Bersa .380 in a pocket holster and carry it OC in my shirt pocket. Does that count?

FogRider

imported post

I have a Serpa thigh rig for my 1911 and XD, and a Miami Classic SH for my XD. If I come up with some more cash I will probably pick up another SH for my 1911 as well. I know a lot of folks don't like the classic because of the muzzle being pointed straight back, but much like OC I don't think it's an issue with any real logic behind it. Show me enough examples of someone getting shot while a gun is being drawn and I'll stop carrying like that, untill then I am going to have to say it's safe.

Dustin

imported post

FogRider wrote:
I have a Serpa thigh rig for my 1911 and XD, and a Miami Classic SH for my XD. If I come up with some more cash I will probably pick up another SH for my 1911 as well. I know a lot of folks don't like the classic because of the muzzle being pointed straight back, but much like OC I don't think it's an issue with any real logic behind it. Show me enough examples of someone getting shot while a gun is being drawn and I'll stop carrying like that, untill then I am going to have to say it's safe.

Even Carrying in Condition 3, will eliminate that issue entirely.

tattedupboy

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Why not just get a shoulder rig that is vertical, so that you don't have to worry about any of that? Personally, if I were standing behind someone wearing a horizontal shoulder rig and their firearm was pointing at me, I would have the good sense to move out of the way. However since some people would rather hassle you about your holstered firearm than simply move to the side, do the next best thing and simply get a rig that people can't complain about pointing at them.

imperialism2024

imported post

I've found a vertical shoulder holster to best handle the weight and size of a Ruger Redhawk w/7.5" bbl. Keeps it tight against the body, and can conceal under a coat in wintertime.

Haven't OCed with it, though. I tend to stick to the hip holster...

Dustin

imported post

Well I was looking at this one

VHSSYSTE.jpg

and thinking man that's nice.

Then I saw the Price :cry:

$195.95 :what:

tarzan1888

imported post

I had 2 shoulder rigs that I used a lot.

I bought the above holster for my 1911 at Cabela's for about $65 I love it and it wears well.

I bought the Holster below online at Copquest for about $125, for my Taurus 617 and I love it too.

Tarzan

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Dustin wrote:
FogRider wrote:

Well carrying in condition 3 isn't that smart to begin with, and since a shoulder holster adds movement and time to a draw, condition 3 shouldn't even be consideredan option. Handguns are designed to be carried in condition 1.

I just bought a shoulder holster for openly carrying my SW99. I went back and forth about horizontal or vertical for a few minutes. The vertical looked a little more comfortable as it wasn't sticking out as much, and would be easier to conceal if I wanted to. The horizontal is a much more natural draw, to the point where some experts would say vertical holsters shouldn't even be carried for self defense because the draw is just too slow and awkward.

I went with the horizontal holster. The concern that the muzzle pointing behind me is potentially dangerous will offend someone is just silly. If the muzzle direction of a properly holstered firearm is any reason to be concerned, then why would anyone constantly carry a gun on their hip, where it is pointing down at their leg and foot all day? If the weapon fires while holstered, you have a severely flawed weapon or holster. This would be next to impossible. If the weapon fires as you draw, it's your fault, period.

tarzan1888

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Dustin wrote:
FogRider wrote:

Well carrying in condition 3 isn't that smart to begin with, and since a shoulder holster adds movement and time to a draw, condition 3 shouldn't even be consideredan option. Handguns are designed to be carried in condition 1.

I just bought a shoulder holster for openly carrying my SW99. I went back and forth about horizontal or vertical for a few minutes. The vertical looked a little more comfortable as it wasn't sticking out as much, and would be easier to conceal if I wanted to. The horizontal is a much more natural draw, to the point where some experts would say vertical holsters shouldn't even be carried for self defense because the draw is just too slow and awkward.

I went with the horizontal holster. The concern that the muzzle pointing behind me is potentially dangerous will offend someone is just silly. If the muzzle direction of a properly holstered firearm is any reason to be concerned, then why would anyone constantly carry a gun on their hip, where it is pointing down at their leg and foot all day? If the weapon fires while holstered, you have a severely flawed weapon or holster. This would be next to impossible. If the weapon fires as you draw, it's your fault, period.

I completely agree with you.

Excellent points.

Tarzan

David.Car

imported post

Blackhawkhas a shoulder rig that allows you to take your serpa CQC and attach it to a shoulder rig (after removing the paddle or belt connection of course).

It looks like it would be worth a try if you like your serpa.

XD40coyote

imported post

What if there was a horizontal SH that had a closed end so you don't see the barrel?

BTW I made this one myself, but it is not that comfy, but works. I wish I could get some insider tips from people who make holsters. Trail and error stink.I am planning to buy some tooling leather, stiching supplies, holster patterns, dyes, finish, rivets, heavy duty snaps, ect. I'd like to know which weight of leather to get( 4-5 oz, 6-7 oz, or 9-10 oz), and how to make stiff and to the shape of the gun.

I have worn this openly around my parents and neither has said a word about the barrel pointing back. Of course they don't say much of anything about carry anyway, and I had to use the excuse of "that fox" as some sort of self justification of carrying back here in this rural way off the road property.

shoulderholster.jpg

Mike M.

imported post

I have an Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder holster for my Glock 17, and it seems to work out ok for me. I dont really use it all that much, except when im wearing like a dress jacket, or in the fall and spring times when a light jacket is needed for those nights out.

I will also be purchasing the Blackhawk shoulder rig and attatching my SERPA CQC holster to it, to see how that works out.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I will also be purchasing the Blackhawk shoulder rig and attatching my SERPA CQC holster to it, to see how that works out.

I have the Serpa Shoulder Holster. It's NOT a concealable holster UNLESS you have a baggy jacket/coat. I OC this Shoulder Rig. I have a Goodrich & Gould rig when I CC

I would STRONGLY suggest to get the Covered Top Serpa mag holders.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4309&C=C2280

In the Open Top the mags fall out too easily

TJ

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

I have the Serpa Shoulder Holster. It's NOT a concealable holster UNLESS you have a baggy jacket/coat. I OC this Shoulder Rig. I have a Goodrich & Gould rig when I CC

I would STRONGLY suggest to get the Covered Top Serpa mag holders.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4309&C=C2280

In the Open Top the mags fall out too easily

TJ
Does the gun fall out, too? :p