• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder/Chest Holsters

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DreQo wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
I will also be purchasing the Blackhawk shoulder rig and attatching my SERPA CQC holster to it, to see how that works out.

I have the Serpa Shoulder Holster. It's NOT a concealable holster UNLESS you have a baggy jacket/coat. I OC this Shoulder Rig. I have a Goodrich & Gould rig when I CC

I would STRONGLY suggest to get the Covered Top Serpa mag holders.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4309&C=C2280

In the Open Top the mags fall out too easily

TJ
Does the gun fall out, too? :p

Uhhh....NO:p. It gots the Serpa "Button":p

TJ

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe some rubber grabbers that are facing inward so they allow the mag to be put in, but grab it as it is pulled out. A little button releases the grabbers allowing the mag to come out.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

asforme wrote:
Maybe some rubber grabbers that are facing inward so they allow the mag to be put in, but grab it as it is pulled out. A little button releases the grabbers allowing the mag to come out.

Sounds to me that you, my dear Sir, is to be the next millionaire:D

TJ

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

asforme wrote:
Whats wrong with the current mag holders we have? I have NEVER had a problem with a mag falling out of my galco leather mag pouch, and all I have to do is pull it out.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DreQo wrote:
asforme wrote:
Whats wrong with the current mag holders we have? I have NEVER had a problem with a mag falling out of my galco leather mag pouch, and all I have to do is pull it out.

DreQo, please be so kind to try the open top mag holders in a Serpa Shoulder Holster and you will know.

The mags snags and will VOLUNTARILY come you especially if you walk fast , run and jump. You will be surprised how easy they come out. I was REALLY bummed and surprised.

Just my .40

TJ

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
asforme wrote:

DreQo, please be so kind to try the open top mag holders in a Serpa Shoulder Holster and you will know.

The mags snags and will VOLUNTARILY come you especially if you walk fast , run and jump. You will be surprised how easy they come out. I was REALLY bummed and surprised.

Just my .40

TJ
Oh I wasn't being that serious, lol. I can understand that it could be a problem. The shoulder holster I currently have has a velcro flap to hold the mags in. I'm about to get another shoulder holster in the mail that has the option of adding mag pouches to the other side, and I'll probably get ones with a snap closure.

David.Car

imported post

If you are having some trouble with the open top mag holders, try adding a little thickness to the inside of the carrier. Add a little foam insert. It will make the mag fit more snugly but it will still draw out easily.

Dustin

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Well carrying in condition 3 isn't that smart to begin with.

That's just silly.

I'm not sayingcarrying in Condition 1 is wrong, but to say that carrying in condition 3 is not smart is not right.

It's up to the carrier. If he/she feels comfortable with a Condition 3, then so be it.

I carry Condition 1, but to each his own.

More times than not, If/when you have to draw your weapon, it's not as a IMMEDIATE rection to the situation. From all the stories I've heard and read, there was always PLENTY of time to Rack the slide and go condition 1.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Dustin wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Well carrying in condition 3 isn't that smart to begin with.

That's just silly.

I'm not sayingcarrying in Condition 1 is wrong, but to say that carrying in condition 3 is not smart is not right.

It's up to the carrier. If he/she feels comfortable with a Condition 3, then so be it.

I carry Condition 1, but to each his own.

More times than not, If/when you have to draw your weapon, it's not as a IMMEDIATE rection to the situation. From all the stories I've heard and read, there was always PLENTY of time to Rack the slide and go condition 1.

Well then why even have the mag in? You should have time to insert it first, right? Why actually WEAR your seatbelt? You might as well just put it on when you see an accident starting to happen. :?

Handguns are made to be carried safely in condition one. Carrying in condition three may make someone feel safer, but not only is it not how it was meant to be carried, but it greatly reduces the effectiveness of the weapon.

Dustin

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Well then why even have the mag in? You should have time to insert it first, right? Why actually WEAR your seatbelt? You might as well just put it on when you see an accident starting to happen. :?

Handguns are made to be carried safely in condition one. Carrying in condition three may make someone feel safer, but not only is it not how it was meant to be carried, but it greatly reduces the effectiveness of the weapon.

This is all a mere matter of opinion.

Why have a Mag in ? WHy Wear a Seatbelt ?

(Next are you going to ask why carry it at all ?)

Again I'll say,
More times than not, If/when you have to draw your weapon, it's not as anIMMEDIATE rection to the situation. From all the stories I've heard and read, there was always PLENTY of time to Rack the slide and go condition 1.

Not all the time, but MOST DEFINTELY THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME. ;)

Like I said, your arguing over mere opinion. It's about the same as the arguing over OC vs CC. (Opinion)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Handguns are designed to be carried in Condition One. This is not my opinion, this is a fact. And true, why carry at all? I mean, you've heard stories about people not IMMEDIATELY needing their gun to work.Most of the people I've met have neverneeded to use a firearm in their LIFE. So really, based on your theory, none of us should have to carry a gun at all, since I've heard more stories about people that didn't need them than people who did. Let me state again, handguns are designed to be carried SAFELY in Condition One. Carrying in any other condition is not conducive to stopping an immediate threat, and I therefore, in my opinion, find the act to be an unintelligent one.

Now, I do see the benefit of temporarily carrying in Condition Three, in order to over-come any fear of carrying in Condition One. This is to say, as long as the person does not wrongly think that they are adequately prepared to stop an immediate threat, since their gun is NOT fully prepared for proper function.

Anyway, if you want to use the argument that: "More times than not, If/when you have to draw your weapon, it's not as anIMMEDIATE reaction to the situation.", I would strongly suggest you cite to authority. I honestly don't think this is true.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

On a lighter note, the Uncle Mike's shoulder holster I ordered will be in this week, as will a second identical holster a day later. The store I purchased it from screwed up the shipping, so I demanded they resend my items, only to find out that there was some odd delay in the system, and my original order was actually already in transit. So, two for the price of one! :celebrateI'll post some pics when I get the rig.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree regarding carrying condition 3 until comfortable with carrying condition 1 (or 2 depending on your sidearm). I carried condition 3 for a few weeks, maybe a month, until I felt comfortable with my XD. My CCW class really gave me the confidence to carry condition 1.

As to the contention that "(m)ore times than not, If/when you have to draw your weapon, it's not as anIMMEDIATE rection to the situation" I would need to see some evidence of that. From what I have seen and read the opposite is generally true. If you think about the fact that we don't (can't legally) draw and point our firearm until we have determined that lethal force is necessary to prevent imminent death or serious bodily injury, that means when you draw your gun it is because you believe you need it now. Not that you need it in the near future after you casually draw it, rack the slide, press check it, verify the mag is seated and point it, but now (and yes I know that is an exaggeration of the contention).

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I agree regarding carrying condition 3 until comfortable with carrying condition 1 (or 2 depending on your sidearm). I carried condition 3 for a few weeks, maybe a month, until I felt comfortable with my XD. My CCW class really gave me the confidence to carry condition 1.

As to the contention that "(m)ore times than not, If/when you have to draw your weapon, it's not as anIMMEDIATE rection to the situation" I would need to see some evidence of that. From what I have seen and read the opposite is generally true. If you think about the fact that we don't (can't legally) draw and point our firearm until we have determined that lethal force is necessary to prevent imminent death or serious bodily injury, that means when you draw your gun it is because you believe you need it now. Not that you need it in the near future after you casually draw it, rack the slide, press check it, verify the mag is seated and point it, but now (and yes I know that is an exaggeration of the contention).
Exaggeration or not, you just brought up a point that I hadn't even considered. Not only does carrying in Condition Three add a deadly amount of time to your draw, and require two hands, BUT it involves a mechanical process that could cause things to go wrong. When I load up and ready my firearm, I have had instances where I rode the slide back and the round didn't get all the way into chamber. There have also been times where I found out that I hadn't quite seated the magazine all the way, and the force of the slide on the top round caused the mag to drop out the bottom, even though it seemed to be locked in. The only reason I noticed these things prior to carrying is because I was moving the handgun into Condition One...

Dustin

imported post

deepdiver wrote:

That's my Point.

DreQo wrote:
I therefore, in my opinion, find the act to be an unintelligent one.
Correct.

I'm not saying that Condition 3 is better than Condition 1,I'm saying you can ONLY call it worse, by mere opinion.

I carry in Condition 1, for the same reasons you guys do, but will not condone anyone who carries in condition 3.

See ? ;)

Ok now back to holsters :lol: lol

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok, I don't want to beat a dead horse but I feel a need to comment on the Condition 1/2 vs 3 issue further specifically regarding shoulder holsters.

IMO shoulder holsters are an advanced method of carry. For one you are going to sweep something that is not your target when you draw and an inexperienced gun handler is at higher risk in a panic situation of shooting their own arm or something else during the draw from a shoulder holster than from a strong side holster. Also, some shoulder holsters depending on design and fit need 2 hands for a quick draw - 1 to stabilize the holster, 1 to draw the pistol. But there is a greater issue, again IMO, with a condition 3 weapon in a shoulder holster.

I'm going to be a little rudimentary to explain my point and using the manner in which I was taught an "Israeli draw". When you draw from a strong side holster, the pistol comes straight up clearing the holster and as it clears the muzzle is rotated up to point at the target. At that point the pistol is properly gripped one handed with the muzzle pointed at target being held at your side, mid-chest. If you were condition 3, as soon as the pistol is in the position, the weak side hand can grasp the slide and as you push the pistol forward toward the target, that motion can be used to naturally rack the slide, with the completed racking ending with the pistol locked and loaded pointing directly at the target with proper hand position, although there is a delay as the weak side hand comes back forward to the two-handed grip position. In other words, racking the slide when drawing from a strong side holster properly executed is incorporated into the natural, smooth drawing motion and as the Israelis and highly competent gun hand handlers have proved, for a well practiced individual, there is little time lost with this method even in point shooting, the primary disadvantage being that in a close quarters situation, the firearm cannot be fired immediately upon clearing the holster while still tight to the body.

Let's compare this to a condition 3 draw from a shoulder holster. When drawing from a shoulder holster, the handgun must clear the holster and be rotated into a forward position before racking or you must rack as you are sweeping it into a forward position. Either way, because the butt is facing forward to start, the natural drawing motion is mostly opposite that of the racking motion. Even assuming that a shoulder holster draw were as fast as a strong side draw, whereas with a strong side draw the rack begins immediately after the pistol clears the holster, with a shoulder holster draw it does not begin until later in the draw as the weapon is being brought on target. All of this tells me that carrying condition 3 in a shoulder holster is perhaps fatally slower. Adding that to the already existing disadvantages of shoulder carry such as having your arm pinned during the draw in close quarters, it seems a foolhardy proposition to me.

In short, if someone is not experienced and comfortable enough to carry condition 1 or 2 as appropriate for their firearm, or cannot carry condition 1 or 2 such as in Utah w/o a CPL, I think that shoulder holster carry is a bad idea.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I open carried with the shoulder rig tonight. My girlfriend, who is usually supportive and excited about my endeavors, doesn't like the holster AT ALL. She doesn't like the fact that there's nothing subtle about it (as apposed to a black gun in a black holster on a black belt behind the hip). She thought for SURE I was going to get comments or stares or something!

Turns out she was wrong :D. Nothing out of the ordinary. We went through Wal-Mart and McD's, and really didn't even get an uncomfortable stare like I sometimes get just carrying on my belt. My girlfriend did point out that there's no definitely no question that I am armed, so there's nothing concealed about it. If there are any PD's out there that try to argue that IWB or a subtle OWB holster are concealed because they can't always see it, a shoulder rig definitely leaves no question.

Gravity_Tester

imported post

I carry in a Miami Classic (horizontal). I love it. Comfortable, easy to get to the gun when seated, and more convenient to put on than threading a belt through a couple slots in the holster and then belt loops.

I also carry a 1911 condition one. The thumb break goes between the hammer and firing pin, and I replaced the stock sear spring with a Wilson Bulletproof spring. Upped the tension on the thumb safety and greatly improved the trigger pull.

Bottom line, buy as good a holster as you can-never buy a cheap holster and then base your view of all variations of that holster from your experience with a crap one.

There's a HUGE difference between a cheapo nylon shoulder rig and a Galco shoulder rig. It's like comparing a bicycle to a BMW.;)