• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Pilot Opinion piece on Pizza Robbery shooting

Thundar

imported post

Beach shooting was tragic, but justified under 2nd amendment
Posted to: Editorials Kerry Dougherty Opinion Virginia Beach

[align=right][/u]Kerry Dougherty
Virginian-Pilot columnist
Read Articles
Kerry's blog
The Virginian-Pilot
© July 1, 2008 [/align]
Johnny Marocco Williams' timing was terrific. His luck was terrible.

On Saturday night - just four days after the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed that Americans have a constitutional right to own handguns - the 41-year-old Hampton man decided to stick up a pizza joint in Virginia Beach.

In doing so, he provided a timely lesson in the Second Amendment.

When Williams crept through the back door of Dominick's Pizza and Pasta on Holland Road with a bandana over his face, he gambled on two things:

That the safe was full of cash and the owner was unarmed.

He was wrong on both.

The safe - the one that Williams ordered Ferdinando Abbondante to open - contained just one item.

A 9 mm Berretta.

Unfortunately for Williams, Abbondante, the father of three and a former security guard, also knew how to use it.

"Nerves of steel," is how Abbondante's business partner and father-in-law, Roger Stephens, described him.

In interviews, Abbondante said he told the robber to just empty the cash register and get out.

Williams, however, was adamant that the owner unlock that safe.

The Italian immigrant did just that. Then he turned around and shot Williams to death.

If supporters of the Second Amendment had been looking for a textbook case of how gun ownership is supposed to work, they got it. An outlaw entered a restaurant brandishing a weapon and left on a gurney because a law-abiding gun owner decided to protect himself and his employees.

At this point in the investigation, Virginia Beach police have little to say other than shots were fired at the pizzeria Saturday night and the bad guy died.

"That's about it," said police spokesman Jimmy Barnes. "All indications are he (Abbondante) did nothing wrong."

Stephens told me that the dead man's weapon might have been a toy gun. The police had no comment, but Barnes noted that whether or not a weapon is real is usually immaterial.

Fear for your life is what matters in self-defense.

If Williams had been smart - and few criminals are - he would have driven to Washington to stage a holdup. D.C.'s unconstitutional handgun ban still guarantees that most citizens can't protect themselves. That will soon change, when the District enacts new gun laws.

I tried to reach Abbondante on Monday, but he wasn't at the pizza place that's named for his 7-year-old son. He was at the hospital with a worker who'd been splattered with the dead man's blood. Williams was HIV positive, Stephens said, so in addition to sanitizing the restaurant, workers were receiving medical evaluations.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Abbondante wasn't gloating. He told reporters that he wasn't "proud" of what he'd done but that his actions had been intended to save the lives of innocent people.

There's little doubt of that.

It's a pity that anyone had to die. But it was Williams himself who set those deadly events in action.

Kerry Dougherty, (757) 446-2306, kerry.dougherty@cox.net

Glock27Bill

imported post

If Williams had been smart - and few criminals are - he would have driven to Washington to stage a holdup. D.C.'s unconstitutional handgun ban still guarantees that most citizens can't protect themselves. That will soon change, when the District enacts new gun laws.

It's a pity that anyone had to die. But it was Williams himself who set those deadly events in action.
The force is strong with this one.

Bullbuster

imported post

Quote-"Stephens told me that the dead man's weapon might have been a toy gun. The police had no comment, but Barnes noted that whether or not a weapon is real is usually immaterial."

This statement is interesting as in every report so far the BG fired a shot and mist the owner before being killed.

Bundabar

imported post

I'm surprised the headline isn't "Local man's gun causes people to get HIV". IMHO this article seems to be pro-gun, sweet!

Thundar

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
A criminal died. How is that tragic?

This was the headline of the article.

I for one do not celebrate the lives lost by the vanquished. Any life lost without reaching the max potential is IMHO a tragedy.

The last line of the article says it best:

"It's a pity that anyone had to die. But it was Williams himself who set those deadly events in action."

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Bundabar wrote:
I'm surprised the headline isn't "Local man's gun causes people to get HIV". IMHO this article seems to be pro-gun, sweet!
I've read a lot of Kerry Dougherty's articles and she's always been pro gun, and along with her other views that come out in her writing she's not a VA Pilot lefty like the rest of them.

Tomahawk

imported post

Well then kudos to the Pilot for keeping her on the staff and letting her speak her mind. It's one thing if you're a lefty or a righty, but if you can at least let people speak and have a discussion I may be able to have a beer* with you after all.

As for the criminal, I save my sympathyfor the property owner, who was forced to take a life, and for the employees who have to be anxious about HIV infection. For those of us who understand what liberty is, we understand that there is such a thing as free will, and that no one forced that man to play the part of an animal and threaten others for the fruits of their labor. When you choose to act like an animal instead of a man, you voluntarily disable your own rights to life and liberty until you either make restitution or until you threaten the wrong victim. I am confident that his creator will deal with him fairly, and I hope any loved ones he left behind can find peace.

*ETA: or a nice straight Kentucky bourbon, which is what I currently favor...