• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HOA's and GUN rules..

hsmith

imported post

Perhaps we should be pushing for a statute to protect gun owners who live in HOA's from overzealous HOA's that wish to strip their rights away.

HOA's have their uses, which can be good. But a lot seem like mini-dictatorships.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Perhaps we should be pushing for a statute to protect gun owners who live in HOA's from overzealous HOA's that wish to strip their rights away.

HOA's have their uses, which can be good. But a lot seem like mini-dictatorships.
And as far as their power goes regarding limiting or restricting your civil rights, they just cannot do that. By this I mean they cannot restrict your ownership and carrying of arms on your property, sidewalks, or streets within the development. If I am not mistaken, I think that type of criminal behavior on their part has already been tested in court.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
hsmith wrote:

And as far as their power goes regarding limiting or restricting your civil rights, they just cannot do that. By this I mean they cannot restrict your ownership and carrying of arms on your property, sidewalks, or streets within the development. If I am not mistaken, I think that type of criminal behavior on their part has already been tested in court.
I've heard of them telling homeowners that they couldn't put political signs in their yards. Sounds like a civil rights violation to me.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hsmith wrote:

I personally have no use whatsoever for an HOA, but they are popping up all over even out in the country.

In fact when it turned out a property we were going to buy was under an HOA we got out of the contract because they had not given us the bylaws. I mean, buying 10 acre plus property, 15 miles from the closest traffic light, no way in heck I am gonna submit to being micro-managed by a bunch of petty tyrants.

Sorry - I mean an additional bunch of petty tyrants in addition to the ones I am already saddled with in our politicial leadership.:celebrate

SouthernBoy

imported post

asforme wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
hsmith wrote:

I've heard of them telling homeowners that they couldn't put political signs in their yards. Sounds like a civil rights violation to me.
Yes it does.. just like putting up a flag pole to flag our flag. I wonder if they get away with these crimes under the guise of altering the exterior appearance of the property?

I suspect some of these things could really be skating on thin ice with them.

captkirk9195

imported post

I actually live in the *CITY* of Manassas, and am one of the few lucky enough to *NOT* have an HOA. Would not have bought the house had it had an active one.

HTH

Jason

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wonder if it would just be a matter of getting the General Assembly to add or amend a statute that HOA's cannot infringe on RKBA.

Something like any clause in a lease is void and unenforceable if it violates state law.

I mean really, some rights are unalieable. You'd think they couldn't be signed away even willingly or unknowingly.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
I wonder if it would just be a matter of getting the General Assembly to add or amend a statute that HOA's cannot infringe on RKBA.

Something like any clause in a lease is void and unenforceable if it violates state law.

I mean really, some rights are unalieable. You'd think they couldn't be signed away even willingly or unknowingly.
The other approach that might work is that since they've got the powers normally found in local governments, and are performing many of the functions of local government, that they are, in effect, local governments, and therefore subject to preemption...

LEO 229

imported post

JosephMingle wrote:
I wonder if they can change the HOA by-laws to ban weapons after you already live there.
I doubt they can ban ANYTHING you keep inside the home. They do not have any authority to enter your home to search so they would have no way of controlling it.

I do not recall seeing anything in my bylaws eitherthat prohibits anything in the interior of my home. The HOA is concerned about the exterior only.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Citizen wrote:

All contracts must have three basic criteria in order for them to be enforceable and applicable in law.

All contracting parties, and/or their agents, must agree to the terms of the contract and must prove such by signing the instrument.

Consideration must be made to support the instantiation of the contract.

The contract may not be cause for an illegal enterprise (no illegal activity may be part of or party to the contract).

These are musts and therefore must all be present and satisfied, otherwise the contract is null and void.

jack

Banned
imported post

In recent years HOA have taken a few in the _ _ _. The all powerful Reston home owners association lost a bunch of court cases over the last few years. I'm sure that some HOA will attempt to ban firearmssooner or latter (or ban open display of firearms), asliberals tend to love "planned communities" and regulatingeveryone else's life. I don't see that standing up inlitigation.

When I lived in Chantilly, Va.this guy sued our homeowners association and won. For sure he was a bit of a odd ball but the HOA nazi would put no parking or vehicle violations stickers (5/8 size)on folk's cars. The adhesive was so strong that it took forever to remove it from the window.If your tags or county sticker wereexpired they would tow you off the property.

I had words with the NAZI after he stickered by parent's car that I had borrowed while my truck was in the shop. Even though I was parked in my assigned spot he stickered it since it didn't have the parking pass.

Three days latter Fairfax County policestopped by and asked me rather bluntly if I dumped a bucket of adhesive all over his car. I burst out laughing and said, " it couldn't happen to a more deserving prick, the guy is a menace to the neighborhood". Someone actually anonymously sent a thank you letter to all 60 town homes thanking whoever dumped the adhesive on his car (nice to be so appreciated huh ?) . After that he cooled it somewhat with the stickering.

Many problems were solved with a $3.87 can of adhesive, or so I'm told that is what it cost, LOL. When you start screwing with the whole neighborhood you better know what type of whackadoos live there.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

About a year after moving into an HOA area a few of us did a sort of takeover and removed all but 2 by-laws and dropped the dues ammount. 1 covers applying dues for road maintenance and the other still holds that you cannot clear cut your property.
Since then there have been no complaints and no challengers to positions in the HOA.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Toad wrote:
About a year after moving into an HOA area a few of us did a sort of takeover and removed all but 2 by-laws and dropped the dues ammount. 1 covers applying dues for road maintenance and the other still holds that you cannot clear cut your property.
Since then there have been no complaints and no challengers to positions in the HOA.

Oooooo. An HOA coup-de-etat!!

I'm gonna be chuckling about this for weeks. I just know it.

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Toad wrote:

Oooooo. An HOA coup-de-etat!!

I'm gonna be chuckling about this for weeks. I just know it.
Damn... I wish I could get that done here....!!

I too will chuckle but then remember.... I live in a HOA!!

I did do some black operations and it caused the current HOA president to resign. I had him thinking the board members were all against him in emails. It was great!!

I hated that prick!! :lol:

But they have not tried to ban guns. I do have two targets in my windows to warn people wanting to break in that the wife and I are excellent shots. I wonder if the HOA will send me a letter.......

Tomahawk

imported post

jack wrote:
In recent years HOA have taken a few in the _ _ _. The all powerful Reston home owners association lost a bunch of court cases over the last few years. I'm sure that some HOA will attempt to ban firearmssooner or latter (or ban open display of firearms), asliberals tend to love "planned communities" and regulatingeveryone else's life. I don't see that standing up inlitigation.

When I lived in Chantilly, Va.this guy sued our homeowners association and won. For sure he was a bit of a odd ball but the HOA nazi would put no parking or vehicle violations stickers (5/8 size)on folk's cars. The adhesive was so strong that it took forever to remove it from the window.If your tags or county sticker wereexpired they would tow you off the property.

I had words with the NAZI after he stickered by parent's car that I had borrowed while my truck was in the shop. Even though I was parked in my assigned spot he stickered it since it didn't have the parking pass.

Three days latter Fairfax County policestopped by and asked me rather bluntly if I dumped a bucket of adhesive all over his car. I burst out laughing and said, " it couldn't happen to a more deserving prick, the guy is a menace to the neighborhood". Someone actually anonymously sent a thank you letter to all 60 town homes thanking whoever dumped the adhesive on his car (nice to be so appreciated huh ?) . After that he cooled it somewhat with the stickering.

Many problems were solved with a $3.87 can of adhesive, or so I'm told that is what it cost, LOL. When you start screwing with the whole neighborhood you better know what type of whackadoos live there.

One of the parking nazis on my HOA board was putting those awful stickers on people's windows a few years ago. He made the mistake of stickering one truck for having out-of-state plates on it. Turned out the truck belonged to an Army staff NCO who was renting the house while stationed in the area. The guy was an Iraq vet and he was quite large in comparison to the skinny parking nazi. Last thing I heard him say as he advanced on the nazi's front door,steam blowing out hisears,was, "...and that sunovabitch is gonna come right back out here and take that sticker off my truck!"

And that's exactly what happened. The nazi came pretty close to getting his scrawny neck ringed that evening, and that was pretty much the end of the sticker BS in my neighborhood.

JosephMingle

imported post

I must say I was anxious enough about buying my first home, but buying it in a deed controlled community (read 88 pages of HOA rules) made me even more anxious. However the community was very nice and I don’t do anything I expected would garner their attention and Ididn’t for the first 3 years. However, the Camaro I use as my avatar sat pretty much unmoved in the street in front of my place for the better part of 2 years. Now, when I say unmoved I don’t mean never driven. I did drive it on the weekends (and parked it right back in the same place), but my daily commute was 40 miles each way – I bought a Honda Civic SI for 30 mpg vs 14 mpg. The HOA sent me a notice demanding I remove the inoperative vehicle (they graciously gave me 10 days to comply). I sent them a letter telling them it wasn’t inoperative and in fact had current inspection stickers and registration. They then sent the sheriff who was about to stick one of those red stickers on my car until my wife came out and basically accosted him (she used to be a New England left wing liberal – but after 25 years I’ve rubbed off on her) for playing the pawn in a HOA power play. She offered to start the vehicle for him at which point he said that wouldn’t be necessary and left with his little sticker in hand.

I drove the car down to the HOA office on the first weekday I had off, and showed the office manager the car was fully operational and told him not to send me another notice. They did so I retained a lawyer and found out who the particular complainer was and had my lawyer get in touch with him too. They finally quit bothering me.

I like HOAs, but sometimes the knuckleheads who get into the offices make them a problem for everyone.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Toad wrote:
SNIP About a year after moving into an HOA area a few of us did a sort of takeover
SNIP Oooooo. An HOA coup-de-etat!!
Damn... I wish I could get that done here....!!

I too will chuckle but then remember.... I live in a HOA!!

I did do some black operations and it caused the current HOA president to resign. I had him thinking the board members were all against him in emails. It was great!!

I hated that prick!! :lol:

But they have not tried to ban guns. I do have two targets in my windows to warn people wanting to break in that the wife and I are excellent shots. I wonder if the HOA will send me a letter.......
Quoted For Truth (QFT)

SouthernBoy

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
jack wrote:

One of the parking nazis on my HOA board was putting those awful stickers on people's windows a few years ago. He made the mistake of stickering one truck for having out-of-state plates on it. Turned out the truck belonged to an Army staff NCO who was renting the house while stationed in the area. The guy was an Iraq vet and he was quite large in comparison to the skinny parking nazi. Last thing I heard him say as he advanced on the nazi's front door,steam blowing out hisears,was, "...and that sunovabitch is gonna come right back out here and take that sticker off my truck!"

And that's exactly what happened. The nazi came pretty close to getting his scrawny neck ringed that evening, and that was pretty much the end of the sticker BS in my neighborhood.
:celebrate

Little maggots like to hide behind stupid HOA covenants. Maggots.