• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was told I can't have my firearm in a convenience store

bennford

imported post

If they're independently owned/operated, my guess is BP corporate policy may not be relevant and the franchisee is the one responsible for permitting or banning guns.

Here's thee-mail I sent:

To Whom It May Concern,

Does BP have a corporate policy regarding the lawful carrying of firearms in it's convenience stores/gas stations?

I ask, because I was recently informed of a situation in which a gentleman in Dickson, Tennessee was told that he could not come into the store (Store #3) with his openly-carried firearm. As a 2nd amendment supporter, I am happy to support and patronize businesses that allow their customers to exercise their constitutional rights, and hope that BP feels as strongly regarding an individuals right to self-defense as the hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens with licenses to carry firearms.

Regards,

69johnny

imported post

>>Here's the e-mail I sent:

>>To Whom It May Concern,

>>Does BP have a corporate policy regarding
>> the lawful carrying of firearms in it's convenience
>> stores/gas stations?

By all means, let us know what reply you get!
Thanks!

DJBiker

imported post

I frequent BP regularly and am often in Dickson and Burns. Where is this store located? I would love to stop in an provide them with my card that states that since they are not allowing me to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights, I will then exercise my 1st amendment rights and shop elsewhere all the while telling everyone I know to shope elsewhere because BP#3 is a GUN FREE ZONE.

69johnny

imported post

This store is located at the corner where Hwy 96 and Hwy 70 intersects. Right at the line where Burns and Dickson meet.
There is a 3 wheeler/4 wheeler shop right next to it.
Any more directions let me know.

DJBiker

imported post

Thanks for the quick reply, I know exactly where they are. I will be sure to stop in and let them know I will not be stopping in in the future! We all should let it be known to managers of these places that we will take our business elsewhere.

69johnny

imported post

DjBiker??

So did you ever get around to, "dropping in" on them at that store? Would love to hear how it went.

Thanks.

DJBiker

imported post

Well, I still have them in my sights, but haven't beenin Dickson in a while, I have spent all of my time around Clarksville lately.

I surely will get by there and let them know about my position and have made a card to leave with them too.

I will post as soon as I get by there, thanks for keeping the post alive.

TaurusPT940

imported post

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1305 makes it “an offense to possess a firearm on the premises of a place open to the public where alcoholic beverages are served or in the confines of a building where alcoholic beverages are sold.” While they do have to post a sign, the law does not specify where on the property the sign must be posted.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TaurusPT940 wrote:
Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1305 makes it “an offense to possess a firearm on the premises of a place open to the public where alcoholic beverages are served or in the confines of a building where alcoholic beverages are sold.” While they do have to post a sign, the law does not specify where on the property the sign must be posted.

You didn't quite quote the Tn code correctly.

[align=justify]39-17-1305. Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served. —[/align]
(a) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption.

Convenience stores do not sell alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption.

Tn Code DOES state where signage shall be posted.
[align=justify]39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings — Posting notice. —[/align]

39-17-1351 — 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of the property as well as within the confines of a building located on the property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

69johnny

imported post

Not sure what Taurus was trying to say there. (2 posts previous) If I was to follow that, it would indicate no gun ever anywhere in any convenience store or grocery store. Where the anti's or any idiot trying to find an excuse to stop you from carrying completely slips & then stumbles all over themselves, is when they attempt to drag out that law as we read above. The stumbling block however is as we all know, (and was correctly written above) "for onsite consumption". Never have figured out why it's so hard for some people to comprehend. Or perhaps maybe they conveniently ommit that part of the written law on purpose?

P.S ....would someone PLEASE sit down and write a letter to EVERY single bank in this country and explain to every single idiot that works there, that just because they are F.D.I.C insured does NOT make them a, "Federal Building"!!!!

So help me... trying to deal with the public everyday, I sometimes wonder if I haven't died and went to retard-hell or something.

Sincerely,

The Johnny Person

Fallguy

imported post

At one time you couldn't legally carry anywhere alcohol was sold....such as a convenience store. But that changed MANY years ago.

Now it is only where it is served for "onsite consumption" and only "within the confines of a building open to the public" So outside or at a private club, it is still legal to carry.

DJBiker

imported post

AMEN! If you couldn't carry where any alcohol or beer was sold, you would never be allowed to get gas at any gas station, they all sell beer. Ridiculous.

Onsite consumption is the key words here.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Funny that I got to read these posts.....I'm in Kentucky. BUT in all the STORES and towns near me.....there is only ONE 'no guns sign'. In a BP gas station.:what:

TaurusPT940

imported post

Sorry, the law I posted earlier was not the correct one and I am glad that someone brought it to my attention. The law I quoted was an old law, and the signs for this law are still handed out by the beer board, so this was the reason for my confusion. I would like to point out that have owned a Ruger 22 rifle, a Walther P22, and a Taurus PT940, and am going to take the carry permit class in October, so I am not against guns at all. I love my guns and would never part with them. That being said, I would like to inform 69johnny that omit only has one m. Before resorting to childish tactics and calling anyone a retard, maybe he should use the spell checker included in the Post Reply pane.

C-ya

imported post

Taurus,

Welcome to the boards. Try not to get your undies in a bunch so fast. I think he was referring to the folks at the banks and just society in general, not you specifically.

This post brought to you spell-check free.

69johnny

imported post

You are correct. I was not calling him an idiot. Or anyone else here. But rather the morons that attempt to throw that law in our face in an effort to bar us from just one more public place. I.e convenience stores, etc. I would have nothing to gain by coming here and insulting anyone that is on our side of the cause.

HOWEVER, since we are doing the spelling police (all in good fun)
his paragraph had a slight mistake as well:
"I would like to point out that have owned a Ruger 22 rifle"....

This should have been written, "I would like to point out that **I** have owned a Ruger 22 rifle...."

There...now we're even! <grin>

Sincerely,

The Johnny Person.

TaurusPT940

imported post

Dear John(ny),

You got me. Now we are even. Sorry, did not mean to start a duel (ha ha). I deal with people that are against guns all the time, and it infuriates me. Many of my family members hate guns, and we've had many arguments about them. Lucky for me, my wife is not one of these people.

Thanks for not ripping into me too hard,

Jonathon

WCrawford

imported post

I went into my local Mapco in East Nashville (open carrying) and got my first questioning. Not about why I was carrying, but about where to go to get the propper training.

The clerk, a tiny framed young black woman in her mid 20's, asked me all sorts of questions. How much does it cost? Would a .22 or .25 be better? Semi-auto or revolver?

I gave her all the factual information I had and then my opinion on types of weapons. I strongly suggested that she try out a variety of weapons before she buys one. I also suggested something of a larger caliber than a .22 or .25 for better stopping power.

I hope to see her around the neighborhood carrying a nice firearm on her hip in the next several months (after getting her HCP).

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How lucky can you get....
I would love to be ordered off the premisis without haveing to pay for my
tank of gas.

If it isn't posted, and they order you off, then you can't be held for
running off without paying. One more reason to also carry the recorder,
so they can't lie about it later.

Tim_Tennessee

imported post

Wow,

This post started 5 months ago. I hate the fact I am just finding this site today! The world is afraid of everything they don't understand. The old woman in the BP has probably hated guns her whole life. The owner of the BP should at some point realize the economy is sucking right now and the next person he sees with a gun in his store will NOT be his friend.

To the long term users of this board, I have found you. I have opinions and I'm not afraid to post them!

Now... to learn all of the abbrevations.... hmmmm.

Tim