• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Kind of gun do you carry?

Los

imported post

I carry either my G26 or G23 depending on what I'm wearing, which usually depends on the weather.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Keane wrote:
Mikitsubizunizu wrote:
Rock Island Armory M1911A1 GI .45 acp

If I ever go find a decent Tactical thigh holster for under $60

I've only carried once, and it was the same weapon as this one. It didn't turn out so well, lol. I found a great holster for it, so when it is repaired, I'll most likely be carrying that.

If I ever find a solid holster for my CZ 75-B, I'll switch to carrying that.
You need to get on that holster search......

Keane

imported post

SetivaSicWood wrote:
Keane wrote:
Mikitsubizunizu wrote:
Rock Island Armory M1911A1 GI .45 acp

If I ever go find a decent Tactical thigh holster for under $60

I've only carried once, and it was the same weapon as this one. It didn't turn out so well, lol. I found a great holster for it, so when it is repaired, I'll most likely be carrying that.

If I ever find a solid holster for my CZ 75-B, I'll switch to carrying that.
You need to get on that holster search......
I found a decent holster from lightning arms, so the CZ is the current carry piece.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
I will OC a full size XD.40 and my new OC gun will be a1911 Kimber Tactical Custom II with carbon fiber laser grips :celebrate
NOPE changed that. I got the XDm.40 I just wanted to have more rounds just incase I find myself in a bind.

BOOMINFOCUS66

imported post

Right now i have a Glock 21 sf with the 1913 rail in a blackhawk serpa level 2 LE duty holster. But i cannot cc that thing for the life of me its just way too big the bottom half of the holster hangs out of every shirt or coat i own. the holster is obviously made for LEO or open carry only. i would like to OC it but i am a "young punk" that dresses in big cloths and i am a little anti-social and i butcher the english lanuage every time i open my mouth. put all of that together and i am just asking for trouble. so i have a really nice gun and holster that just sits at home or in the car. WHAT A MESS!!!

SetivaSicWood

imported post

BOOMINFOCUS66 wrote:
Right now i have a Glock 21 sf with the 1913 rail in a blackhawk serpa level 2 LE duty holster. But i cannot cc that thing for the life of me its just way too big the bottom half of the holster hangs out of every shirt or coat i own. the holster is obviously made for LEO or open carry only. i would like to OC it but i am a "young punk" that dresses in big cloths and i am a little anti-social and i butcher the english lanuage every time i open my mouth. put all of that together and i am just asking for trouble. so i have a really nice gun and holster that just sits at home or in the car. WHAT A MESS!!!
Pull up your pants, meet the world with a smile, and take some english clases at the local community college. That should pave the way for you to open carry w/o drawing unnessary and or unwanted attention

machron1

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
I was just curious on wat other people chose to carry? I Carry A Glock 27 .40 cal and I love that gun.. Its small enough to conceal.. and not to bulky if i want to OC with it.. Its a great gun.. and it shoots great... Im currently looking for another gun To carry... Im debating another glock, Id love to get a Kimber Ultra carry II or a Para Ordnance Warthog. Also I bought a Black hawk Hip holster.. Best 55 bucks iv spent
I carry a G27 as well! With the +2 mag extenders, & loaded with 155gr Federal Hydra-shok personal defense ammo, it's quite a gun for such a small package. I think it's one of the best, if not THE best, CCW autoloaders in terms of reliability, concealability, and stopping power. The one drawback is the recoil, but if you have reasonably strong wrists and practice a lot, it can be overcome. When I first got it, I had a problem with occasional stove piping (I think it's happened 3 times), but that went away as the spring relaxed and/or I got better at shooting it.

Just some food for thought:

In my personal opinion, if you are relying on a weapon to save your life, and you only have a few seconds (or less) to do it in, it's best to keep it simple. One of the beauties of Glocks is that they are as close to a revolver as you can get in terms of simplicity of operation. So, I would say if you add the complexities of the 1911 (thumb safety, grip safety), you need to practice A LOT to get as proficient as you probably are with the Glock. At the very least, there is one extra step before squeezing (disengaging the thumb safety) if you are carrying it in the generally accepted safe manner (one in the pipe, hammer back, & thumb safety engaged). Plus, a 1911 feels and shoots very differently than a glock. It's got more mass so your draw will be different, it's narrower so your grip is different, the trigger comes straight back instead of being hinged and the trigger pressure is likely different, it's got less recoil so it shoots differently, etc.

There is no reason you can't carry any pistol you like, but switching back and forth without sufficient re-training, regardless of what pistol you choose, is inherently dangerous IMHO. Switching between Glock models is a lot more straightforward than switching between a Glock and another type of pistol. If you do switch, I would suggest it be a permanent thing, and you should allow for sufficient re-training, especially going from holstered to shooting (with snap caps at first, then live ammo).

Good Luck!

DenWin

imported post

BOOMINFOCUS66 wrote:

I don't know, I don't think the "tactical tupperware" 21 SF is any larger than my HK USP .45 Tactical, and I can conceal that one just fine in the Serpa I have for it. Especially if you like to wear the big clothes. My standard dress is 5.11 shirt and pants with a 5.11 "shoot-me-first" vest, and I conceal that beast just fine. The only thing I worry about if concealing is bending over to pick something up. It's more of a squat so that the barrel doesn't show, but I can walk, sit, run, maybe even jump if I do it right, and keep that thing concealed with out printing.

EDIT: By the by, I have 3 mags of Federal Hydroshock, and then my 'OH $H!T' mag of Mag Safes :)

Hiredgun30

imported post

i carry a glock 31 in 357 sig.. 3 fresh reloads....
i current load is 124 grain speer gold dots but i am going to be switching to
the (fang face round) for some reason the video doesnt work.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Springfield Armory 1911-A1... .45acp... OC!

Thallman Makarov... 9x18mm... BUG!

neddis

imported post

I carry an XD 45 service (new one with thumb safety) with Federal HST 230gr +P. I use a nylon Uncle Mike's pancake holster with a thumb break, but I will someday be able to afford a real holster like the Sky High from High Noon.
Sky_High_lg.jpg

I CC it in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster, but it's not too comfortable and can be tough to avoid printing. I am trying to convince the wife that I need another pistol for CC. I love My XD and would probably get a XD 9 sub compact for CC if I could. I'd think about a Springfield 1911 with a 3" barrel too, but those can be spendy.

WhiteKnight

I carry a full size Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm. Its the "C" version with double action only and no safety or hammer.

PistolPackingPagan

Taurus PT145 MillPro.

Great Open or CC gun, though I cant tell you how many times i get people asking me if its a Glock.

One kid at Plaid Pantry was trying to talk like he knew what he was talking about to his buddy telling him that I had a Glock and it was a Glock 19. I just turned to him and said "Its a Taurus PT145 .45 Cal." Think i embarrassed him in front of his friend.

Christopher

I carry a Taurus PT 1911 ALR in a serpa CQC holster. I had to modify the holster a bit to accept the larger accessories rail on the Taurus, but a Dremel tool can fix anything :banana: I used to carry a Hi-Point C-9. Now if the darn gunsmith would call me back about my gun. I am having a pinned ambi safety fitted so it doesn't seperate anymore, since i am left handed the safety has to be up to par.

Outdoorsman1

I am in Wisconsin and we (still) have only OC. My O.C. wepon of choice is currently a Taurus Judge (45 Cal. and 410 shotgun), 6 1/2" barrel...

My othe weapon for when we get C.C. is a XD 40.. a little more concealable than the Judge...

When "regular" people ask me "what kind of gun is that"...I usually tell them it is a loaded gun...

Outdoorsman.

hazard274

What Do I OC

I am new to UOC. That said I just picked up a Ruger P-95 and I LOVE it. yesterday I took a hike in The Palomar District Clevland National Forest. Thats was my first open carry experience. I saw a quit a few people and got no dirty looks. There are a lot of mountain lions in that area. Today I OC in Encinitas to go pick up my pizza's at lunch time rush. Got no dirty looks and the owner was very friendly. So far of to a good start.

Ryan

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am new to UOC. That said I just picked up a Ruger P-95 and I LOVE it. yesterday I took a hike in The Palomar District Clevland National Forest. Thats was my first open carry experience. I saw a quit a few people and got no dirty looks. There are a lot of mountain lions in that area. Today I OC in Encinitas to go pick up my pizza's at lunch time rush. Got no dirty looks and the owner was very friendly. So far of to a good start.

Ryan

Wrong sub-forum.

This is the Oregon section - should have posted to California.

Nevertheless, welcome aboard.