• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Revolver without transfer bar

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't know anything about this weapon , but you might try this with it. Many revolvers Double action or single action have a "one click" safety position. Try slowly pulling the hammer back with your thumb, from the home position and listen for a click. This should happen after you have pulled it back less than a 1/4 inch. If it does, and you can't push it forward again, that is your safety.

My boss tells me that some semi-auto's have this feature, too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I don't know anything about this weapon , but you might try this with it. Many revolvers Double action or single action have a "one click" safety position. Try slowly pulling the hammer back with your thumb, from the home position and listen for a click. This should happen after you have pulled it back less than a 1/4 inch. If it does, and you can't push it forward again, that is your safety.

My boss tells me that some semi-auto's have this feature, too.
Welcome Tast Force 16. Listen and learn, enjoy and be responsible.

Please, please do not consider nor accept a 'half cocked" position of the hammer as a safety or "on safe". It is not safe!

Shooters of old style SA revolvers traditionally carry with "5 beans in a barrel" that is with the hammer resting on an empty cylinder for good reason!

Knowledgeable gunnies (we all should be) never put or leave the hammer of their semi-auto pistol (think 1911) in this precarious position,

The clicks you are hearing are internals changing postion, metal setting against metal as part of the cycling process - different with different design weapons.

I do not mean to be harsh with you but you state "I don't know anything about this weapon" than you cannot give advice or suggestions on what someone "might try." This is precisely how some ADs, I prefer NDs, occur.

Again - DO NOT DO THIS!

Yata hey

PS - the most effective safety on all weapons is located on the upper end of the mechanism operating the grip controller and the trigger engagement devise.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My S&W 1905 3rd Change made around 1909-1910 has some kind of block on the hammer so these features have been around for a long, long time.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
My S&W 1905 3rd Change made around 1909-1910 has some kind of block on the hammer so these features have been around for a long, long time.
IIRC, the 1905 was the first S&W DA to have this feature. It was mounted in the side plate and moved in the horizontal by a camming action where following models use a vertical motion actuated by a pin in the trigger rebound slide....both are very effective and "fool proof" since they require no action from the user.

Edit to add:
I agree 100% with Grapeshot....never do this! Do some research on the old phrase "Don't go off half cocked" and it's origins...you will have a better understanding of why this is so dangerous.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

:uhoh:

I didn't mean to infer that the First click position was a sure fire safety, but it does protect against the gun going off incase the hammer were to be bumped. I didn't trust it against a real hard blow, like falling off a dresser or table, when I had a .22 single action. I left a spend cartridge in the cylinder, under the hammer, when I wasn't using it.

And it wasn't exactly half cocked either. When I pulled the hammer back to the first click, it was back maybe 3/16th of an inch. I had to half cock it for loading, to release the wheel.

thx997303

imported post

My 1851 Navy has a "safety position" in between the cylinders. I like having it "Utah unloaded" while having all cylinders loaded.

Of course I think I will unload one, just to appease the LEOs if they ever bother me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
:uhoh:

I didn't mean to infer that the First click position was a sure fire safety, but it does protect against the gun going off incase the hammer were to be bumped. I didn't trust it against a real hard blow, like falling off a dresser or table, when I had a .22 single action. I left a spend cartridge in the cylinder, under the hammer, when I wasn't using it.

And it wasn't exactly half cocked either. When I pulled the hammer back to the first click, it was back maybe 3/16th of an inch. I had to half cock it for loading, to release the wheel.
Let's consider the manufacturer's or designers intent if you will. Has any such ever stated that a half cocked position was a recommended/designed or correct/safe position/procedure? I think without risk of correction that I can say unequivocally, "No!" On the other hand, many do warn against the practice. I quote from the instruction manual for my Beretta Stampede as an example. To wit:
WARNING: The half-cock position of the hammer is NOT a safety. A blow to the hammer may allow the hammer to strike the firing pin and fire the revolver.

Insofar as this practice and utilization of it for 1911 or other SA pistols is concerned much has been said condemning it and even outright forbidding it for members of our armed services and LE groups.

When I was actively instructing as a DCJS senior instructor and range officer, I would immediately have removed from the line and failed an officer whose weapon was observed in that condition. It was considered an "unsafe practice" and constituted negligence. I believe that applies without exception today to all of us.

Recommended/approved hammer position:
Single action revolver (old style) - hammer down on empty cylinder
Single action revolver (w/modern hammer block, transfer bar) - hammer down
SA/DA revolver (modern) - hammer down
SA pistol (modern design as 1911) - hammer cocked and locked, condition 1
Each brand/type of weapon must be individually examined and determination made as to proper hammer carry position.

As to storing a revolver with a fired cartridge under the hammer, I can only caution against that. Becoming used to seeing "brass" in the cylinder would seem to set you up for the day when hot ammo was mistakenly left there. Clear is clear - anything else is not.

Task Force 16 - I feel compelled to close this with the statement that I am sincerely not jumping on your back nor wish to diminish your enthusiasm/participation here. Nothing that I have learned or taught on firearms safety was original thinking on my part. It has all been from the collective experience of others - some of it painfully earned. In other words, it was learned the "hard way."

It is decidedly better that one introduce a less than perfect thought here and have a light shone on the problem, than it is to continue trusting to the "nothing bad has happened yet" or "it works for me" philosophy. Safety should never be compromised. Knowledge should always be shared. The hand of friendship always offered to our brothers.

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Task Force 16 - I feel compelled to close this with the statement that I am sincerely not jumping on your back nor wish to diminish your enthusiasm/participation here. Nothing that I have learned or taught on firearms safety was original thinking on my part. It has all been from the collective experience of others - some of it painfully earned. In other words, it was learned the "hard way."
NO problem Grapeshot. I'll never be able to claim title as the "Sharpest tool in the woodshed". But I am pretty thick skinned, so I don't get offended easily.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
My 1851 Navy has a "safety position" in between the cylinders. I like having it "Utah unloaded" while having all cylinders loaded.

Of course I think I will unload one, just to appease the LEOs if they ever bother me.
Wouldn't being a single action alone be enough to make it Utah unloaded, since you are two actions away from firing (cocking, then pulling the trigger?)