• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry..... Whats it going to take? How Long?

blwnv8

imported post

Sup guys. New to the forum, been poking around for bout a week. Where do stand? I've signed the petition, but whats next? I currently have my concealed carry permit, but I am very interested in oc. I don't know bout the rest of you but where I live we seem to have a bunch of idiots here. Maybe oc would be a wake up call for some of these scum bags. Thanks

blwnv8

imported post

Anyone? Come on I'd think someone would atleast have something to comment on. Who could I contact to find info on this?

endtimer08

imported post

until enough of us sign up to make the "politicians" take notice, then it won't go anywhere. Maybe we need a million man march in tallahassee? Million man ARMED march that is lol

FZJ80

imported post

Ok, what do we do next??? I'm interested also, what's the next step?? There are over 1600 signed petitions now, how many do we need???

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FZJ80 wrote:
Ok, what do we do next??? I'm interested also, what's the next step?? There are over 1600 signed petitions now, how many do we need???

Well, more is better IMO, 1600 is ok, but 10,000 is better and 20,000 is of course, better than that and so on.

I have posted it in gun forums, nothing wrong with posting it in car forums or any other forums for that matter. So if you belong to any forums, post it where you can.

Texas getting OC I think would actually help very much. From the looks of things, I think they will.

You can check out the thread here in the Florida section about a flyer you can make up, all you need is a printer and voila, you have a flyer to hand out.

You can always writeour Senators and Congressman as well. The more they hear from us about it, the better.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

how long did it take to get shall issue cc?

my guess is OC will take a similar amount of time.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:
ilbob wrote:

Hope not, Florida was the original state or first state to have it.

It took seven years.
Ithink FOPA took five or six years.

rvrctyrngr

imported post

Fl was far from the first to have shall issue CC. GA was at least 10 years ahead of us. We were just the first to do it shortly after the San Ysidro massacre in 1984, when the national climate was screaming for more gun control. It took two years or so to get it to the floor the first time before Comrade Graham vetoed it. Martinez signed it the following year.

FOPA took about 6 years, as mentioned, but that was on the FED level...things take longer there.

Guns at work took 3 years or so, but SYG was done in a single legislative session.

We can get it done, but we need a LOT more momentum. Talk to your reps and senators. Call them. GO SEE THEM, don't just write emails.

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:
ilbob wrote:

Hope not, Florida was the original state or first state to have it.

It took seven years.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I should of said it took seven years to go "shall issue" at least according to Marion Hammer.

"It was USF that lead the fight and fought tirelessly for 7 years to pass "shall issue" Right to Carry legislation to reform Florida's oppressive concealed carry law. That landmark legislation has now become model legislation for the nation."

http://www.scgaa.org/usf.html

In Florida, which first introduced "shall-issue" concealed carry laws, crimes committed against residents dropped markedly upon the general issuance of concealed-carry licenses,[31][/suP]

[suP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_weapon[/suP]

rvrctyrngr

imported post

Marion is right, of course. It took 7 years just to get a bill in the legislature. Took 2-3 more to get it passed. Florida received a lot of notoriety for passing the legislation, but it was hardly the first state to do so.

Don't believe every thing you read on Wiki, but since you posted the link..."In 39 concealed-carry states, issuing officials may not arbitrarily deny a concealed-carry application, a practice known as Florida-style "shall issue". It is so named because Florida gained national attention for adopting this policy in 1987, leading to citizens of other states advocating similar measures, even though this practice had been adopted in Washington state in 1961.[3]"[/sup]

In 1986, there were all ready 8 states that had shall issue laws, or no license required for carry (AK and VT). Florida's shall issue was signed in 1987.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes, it wouldn't be the first time something in Wiki needed correction. I had noticed the reference to Washington but thought they may be referring to Florida as being first as in more recenttimes.

Even so, if eight other states had it before, it is by no means first. Maybe they mean first in 1987 lol...that would be the most accurate or if they were to say the first of the top five most populated states in the US, otherwise it is misleading.

gitfiddl

imported post

Hi huys and gals. I'm new around here. I don't know when FL did away with open carry, and quite frankly, I don't care. It's easy enough as a law-abiding citizen to get your CCW. I live in the murder capitol of the state, Jacksonville. Until we elect officials that will prosecute the accused to the fullest extent of the existing laws and make sue they are enforced, any new laws are worthless.

July 3, 1999, I was robbed at gunpoint as I was closing down AutoZone #281 (Atlantic Blvd). The 10-20-Life law was already in play at that time. Duval County decided not to prosecute, as the thugs had been arrested elsewhere and were being prosecuted there. I've forgotten the names now, but last time I checked with the state of FL DoC, they were no longer in custody. Wait....It's only 2008! According to the bill of goods we were sold, since they had guns, they should still be in the custody of the state of FL!

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gitfiddl wrote:
Hi huys and gals. I'm new around here. I don't know when FL did away with open carry, and quite frankly, I don't care. It's easy enough as a law-abiding citizen to get your CCW. I live in the murder capitol of the state, Jacksonville. Until we elect officials that will prosecute the accused to the fullest extent of the existing laws and make sue they are enforced, any new laws are worthless.

July 3, 1999, I was robbed at gunpoint as I was closing down AutoZone #281 (Atlantic Blvd). The 10-20-Life law was already in play at that time. Duval County decided not to prosecute, as the thugs had been arrested elsewhere and were being prosecuted there. I've forgotten the names now, but last time I checked with the state of FL DoC, they were no longer in custody. Wait....It's only 2008! According to the bill of goods we were sold, since they had guns, they should still be in the custody of the state of FL!
:quirky

opspecial

imported post

as a previous member of the said team, and now numerous other retailers that ban ccw while on the clock, we are sitting ducks when we leave after dark and closing up shop. when will they understand that our lives are not worth their allowed tax deductions for loss of property or monetary loss. since i'm sure they over quote the loss for the tax incentive.