• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help OCDO and yourself by using descriptive thread titles

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have recently noted a lot of thread titles that are rather vague. This seems especially true when people need help with something which I find especially odd. The forum allows for both a thread "Subject" and a "description" of the thread. The fact is that many of our members do not have time to read all the posts on the forum and thread titles are often the method by which people choose what to read and skip.

Two recent examples are regarding holsters. Not picking on anyone here, rather just found these to be good examples of what I am talking about.

A recent thread was titled: "Suggestions on Holsters", with no description entered. Turns out it is a request for holster info for an UltraStar 40. I know there are members here who could answer the question quickly and easily, however, they may skip over the thread given the numerous threads of similar title on the forum.

Another recent thread was titled: "Needing advice on a holster" again with no description. What was being sought there was information on a holster for his wife who is a "curvy 6ft". What he really needed was advice from our many women members who could give excellent advice on holsters for a woman, especially a particularly curvy woman. A more descriptive thread title may have attracted their attention or induced another member to PM one of the ladies to bring the thread to their attention.

If threads are titled well and/or the description line is used to explain what people need or want to discuss it gives other members better opportunity to make a decision if they can or want to help or respond. I think there are many threads with requests for information or with good topics that are overlooked because of this matter. Furthermore, given the less than exemplary search feature in the software, well titled threads are more easily found and referenced at a later date.

Just throwing it out there for consideration. I think sometimes that people do not get the help, advice or discussion they seek because the thread title is such that it just gets skipped over by a majority of members who could offer valuable information or insight.

ETA: The News & Political Alerts sub-forum has numerous examples of very well titled and described threads.

imperialism2024

imported post

I almost think that many posters don't enter a description and leave the title vague just to get more people to open the thread out of curiousity... I'll admit guilt in this.

Edited to clarify: I'm guilty of clicking on threads that have vague titles. I create very few new threads, and if the title doesn't make them very specific, I use the "description" line to further clarify.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I almost think that many posters don't enter a description and leave the title vague just to get more people to open the thread out of curiousity... I'll admit guilt in this.
Use descriptive titles - like newspaper headlines with key words - OCDO's threads are picked up by google and other search engines - since we do a pretty good jobstaying on cutting edge newsworthy topics here, citing to authority as much as possible, this discussion forum is actually helping to turbo charge the gun rights revolution with the open carry movement.

Tomahawk

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

Edited to clarify: I'm guilty of clicking on threads that have vague titles. I create very few new threads, and if the title doesn't make them very specific, I use the "description" line to further clarify.
Due to the huge increase in membership lately, this has the opposite effect on me. If the thread has a vague title, I skip it. Too much stuff to read here these days.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

Due to the huge increase in membership lately, this has the opposite effect on me. If the thread has a vague title, I skip it. Too much stuff to read here these days.
I agree, if the thread has a vague title or description or is agrammatic and illiterate or out right trollery, there is too much good stuff to wallow in faux blogosity.