• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

30 days -- the TV show - did a gun piece

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Watching TV the other night, I happened upon this episode of 30 Days: http://tv.yahoo.com/30-days/show/gun-nation/episode/174848;_ylt=AkUcByh.o7lz1mB_WuolIGZDp4h4

Anyone else catch it?

Despite its stereotypical choices and terminology, the piece was remarkably fair. I couldn't help but hate the Massachusetts dance instructor who refused to see her own mental blocks, and the producers who chose a single father and home-schooled son who live guns - your stereotypical Soldier of Fortune type - but the whole piece was worth watching. Never mentioned, but frequently shown, was a white board of "statistics".

Most of us on OCDO could have countered the arguments of CeaseFire! better than the pro-gun person they chose. Most of us know the statistics that antis spout are frequently skewed by teen-on-teen gang violence; most of us know that you don't stop criminal behavior by restricting the rights of the law-abiding.

Still, if you get the chance, give a look.

Thundar

imported post

I thought it would be great, but I fell asleep after about 15 minutes. What I saw was stereotypical in that gun owner = rational, gun hater = emotional.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thundar wrote:
I thought it would be great, but I fell asleep after about 15 minutes. What I saw was stereotypical in that gun owner = rational, gun hater = emotional.

not arguing your interpretation, but the piece ended much better. I was prepared to turn it off after about that time, but toughed it out.

After she met the man who used a handgun to defend himself in his home, she at least started listening.

nova

imported post

I saw it too (I was too tired to stay up so I recorded it) but unfortunatey I don't have the means of uploading it.

There were a few 'mistakes' that the gun owner made that I wouldn't have...first, I would not have given her a 12ga to shoot when she has never even touched a gun before...start with a .22 or a .223 at least...

Second, I wouldn't have taken her to a place where people were shooting full-autos, because now that she saw those, she'll think that all guns that look like an AR15 are full-auto now (and did...at the gun show).

As much as we may not like it, it is probably best to ease someone into the gun world with more 'politically correct' guns like .22 rifles, .38 revolvers, etc. before getting them into the NFA and EBR worlds...:)

trailblazer2003

imported post

nova wrote:
There were a few 'mistakes' that the gun owner made that I wouldn't have...first, I would not have given her a 12ga to shoot when she has never even touched a gun before...start with a .22 or a .223 at least...

As much as we may not like it, it is probably best to ease someone into the gun world with more 'politically correct' guns like .22 rifles, .38 revolvers, etc. before getting them into the NFA and EBR worlds...:)
I thought the same thing, why were they starting her with a shotgun? Though she was pretty upset about it, she sure got over it later when she was at the range shooting the pistol. She was pretty happy with herself, and her accomplishment that day.

I think the biggest impact for her was the interview with the family that used a firearm to proctect themselves. I think that was her first experience with a positive gun incident in her mind.

NaT805

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I was laughing so hard watching that episode... "Everytime I hear a gun shot I think of murder" and when she fired a gun she cried like she had killed someone...and after he showed her his guns she felt way unsafe in his house thinking she was gunna get shot and cried....It was pretty clear she needed professional help...

thewise1

imported post

I watched it and spent the first half hour or so smacking my forehead. When they went to talk to the ceasefire folks, I think he did handle it well but I wanted to shout at the TV and tell him "ask them why they think a law to stop possession of firearms is going to stop someone from possessing a firearm when they ignored the law against homicide??????"

I do wish they would have chosen someone who wasn't quite so 'soldier of fortune' to represent gun owners, but I have to give him credit for taking the time to homeschool his kid (I didn't catch that for whatever reason last night, perhaps I tuned in too late). I was homeschooled and plan to do the same for my daughter.

yeahYeah

imported post

great show - i emailed the woman "pia" and complimented her on the strides she made. she just replied back to me not long ago.

yeahYeah

imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:
great show - i emailed the woman "pia" and complimented her on the strides she made. she just replied back to me not long ago.

Well, what was her reply?
Pia:

Thanks for the message. I'm not going to be carrying a weapon anytime soon, but I'm glad that I made a good impression on the gun community. Gun control advocates have always maintained that we want stricter gun laws to keep them out of the hands of the criminals and insane...that's all. pia

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
Pia:

Thanks for the message. I'm not going to be carrying a weapon anytime soon, but I'm glad that I made a good impression on the gun community. Gun control advocates have always maintained that we want stricter gun laws to keep them out of the hands of the criminals and insane...that's all. pia

Well that's BS, but whatever.

Like others have mentioned, I think they choose the stereotypical, wanna-be soldier type gun owner, and for that I don't feel represented at all.

MetalChris

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I think they choose the stereotypical, wanna-be soldier type gun owner, and for that I don't feel represented at all.
They chose a former Marine, so I don't think he was in any way shape or form a wanna-be soldier. :p

I live in Ohio and hope to meet Ken one of these days, I thought he did a great job.

*Edited to add*
For those of you who think you could've put up better arguments, keep in mind they might have edited out his comments.

imperialism2024

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
For those of you who think you could've put up better arguments, keep in mind they might have edited out his comments.
Very, very true. I gave up writing LTEs after my local newspaper published one of mine and edited it to make me sound like the stereotypical illiterate gun-nut.