• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ACLU says Heller was wrongly decided! Time to boycott the ACLU!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

See http://blog.aclu.org/2008/07/01/heller-decision-and-the-second-amendment - so much for the "Law of the Land."

I just called and cancelled my "Guardian of Liberty" membership wherein I let them take money from my credit card each month.

Blog still accepting comments - let's make some - here was mine:

--

247. Mike Stollenwerk Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
July 3rd, 2008 at 10:58 am

This is insane! What ever happenned to “Law of the Land”?

I am canceling my Guardian of Liberty status right now - no more monthly cash payments from me.

I’ll buy more ammunition instead!

tattedupboy

imported post

No surprise here. The only reason the ACLU exists is topromote the "rights" of atheists, gays, and Islamic extremists. Christians and law abiding gunowners need not apply.

c45man

imported post

Did you expect anything different from a organization that was started as an arm of the international communist movement in 1920, by an avowed communist, Roger Baldwin??

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Here's mine:

Manny Edwards Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
July 3rd, 2008 at 11:42 am

Proving with stunning clarity that the American Civil Liberties Union really isn’t interested in American Civil Liberties at all.

yeahYeah

imported post

i got crap in another forum for calling the ACLU un-american. sheesh.

did we expect them to side with us in this or the kook left fringe groups. Their track record speaks loudly.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That is fine. They have now irrefutably proven they are NOT a true civil rights organization.

YOUR actual enumerated and affirmed rights mean nothing to them. Only the rights they think are there or that they can make up.

yeahYeah

imported post

I am a Christian, so they do not have my best interest in mind...

there are only a few other "groups" that i can possibly despise more.

PavePusher

imported post

This may get interesting. I sent them a challange via their website:

Subject: Heller vs. D.C.

You state:
"The Second Amendment has not been the subject of much Supreme Court discussion through the years. To the extent it has been discussed, the Court has described the Second Amendment as designed to protect the ability of the states to preserve their own sovereignty against a new and potentially overreaching national government. Based on that understanding, the Court has historically construed the Second Amendment as a collective right connected to the concept of a "well-regulated militia" rather than an individual right to possess guns for private purposes."

If you can cite 5 cases upholding your claim (that aren't based on some form of bigotry), I'll buy a membership. Good luck...

Their replies thus far:

#1:

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting the ACLU.

Your comments and questions are very important to us and a representative will respond to your query as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
ACLU

#2:

Dear Mr. <PavePusher>,

Thank you for your e-mail. Your letter has been forwarded to the appropriate office.

Sincerely,
D. Barber
Correspondence Manager, American Civil Liberties Union

I don't know if they are taking me seriously or not. Stay tuned....

yeahYeah

imported post

they are like political leaders. they will either not respond or give a canned answer based on come of the buzzwords in the email. they have better things to do - like aid in the decay of our nation.

ccw9mm

imported post

The ACLU has a stated mission:

The American system of government is founded on two counterbalancing principles: that the majority of the people governs, through democratically elected representatives; and that the power even of a democratic majority must be limited, to ensure individual rights. Majority power is limited by the Constitution's Bill of Rights, which consists of the original ten amendments ratified in 1791, plus the three post-Civil War amendments (the 13th, 14th and 15th) and the 19th Amendment (women's suffrage), adopted in 1920.
The mission of the ACLU is to preserve all of these protections and guarantees ...
And then it has the mission as evidenced by its action, which in the case of the 2A is completely 180* in the opposite direction of their stated goal. Deny life, deny liberty, support meddling in the private affairs of citizens, support the criminal attempts by temporary governing hacks to wrest control from the people over their ability to merely protect themselves.

In many ways, the ACLU is an organization of people with honorable beginnings that has been corrupted like everything else to dishonorable actions.

The first ten Amendments to the U.S. Constitution are fairly straightforward and are generally acknowledged to be what they claim to be ... inalienable rights that pre-existed the Constitution and are duly agreed to be beyond the scope of the government to abolish by whim or wish. Here they are, paraphrased:
  1. Freedom of religion, speech, press, peaceable assembly, petition of grievances.
  2. The right to self-defense.
  3. The right to have a say and to be justly compensated for the use of one's house by the military (or, during war as otherwise prescribed).
  4. Freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures except via due process and specific warrants.
  5. The right to a Grand Jury for indictment on infamous/capital offenses; to be free from double jeopardy; to not be forced to be a witness against oneself.; to not be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process; to be free from uncompensated seizing of private property.
  6. The right to a speedy, public trial by impartial jury in one's own district; to know the specific nature of charges against you; to confront one's accusers; to obtain witnesses on one's own behalf; to have legal counsel.
  7. The right to a jury trial.
  8. Freedom from imposition of excessive bail and cruel/unusual punishment.
  9. The right to retain all other rights despite them not being specifically enumerated.
  10. The right to retain all other powers that are not specifically delegated via the Constitution and reserve those powers to the States or the people.
Fairly sweeping. Fairly simple. Pretty damned powerful, except for the fact that they're only words. They depend on honor and integrity of an entire people to force them to become true in actuality. We're now a long, long way from that, and that's our own fault.

LEO 229

imported post

I was shocked to read that the ACLUdoes not support a persons right under the 2nd amendment.

Even if it is a "collective right..." each person is part of that collective, right?

Huck

imported post

The American Criminal Lover's Union has a long history of protecting criminals so it's no surprise that they'd object to the Heller decision.

SmallWhiteBox

imported post

The ACLU is indeed mistaken on this particular issue, but is the bashing really necessary? There are plenty of 2nd amendment advocacy groups that deal with this (NRA, 2nd Amendment Foundation, GOA, etc...). I am not advocating that you run out and donate, but don't flame a foundation that has done so much for this country.

The ACLU has done enough for this country that as long as they don't actively oppose the 2nd amendment, I will be fine with them continuing their good work.

Short list of pro-constitution ACLU issues/accomplishments (from wikipedia):
Desegregation (Brown v Board)
Freedom of speech regardless of how offensive (Westboro Baptist, Neo-Nazi groups)
Separation of church and state (Scopes v State)
Full civil rights for everyone (Race, sex, creed, sexual orientation)
Protection of Privacy (ACLU v NSA, Terkel v AT&T, opposition to PATRIOT Act)
Opposition to drug war (Gonzales v Oregon)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SmallWhiteBox wrote:
The ACLU is indeed mistaken on this particular issue, but is the bashing really necessary? There are plenty of 2nd amendment advocacy groups that deal with this (NRA, 2nd Amendment Foundation, GOA, etc...). I am not advocating that you run out and donate, but don't flame a foundation that has done so much for this country.

The ACLU has done enough for this country that as long as they don't actively oppose the 2nd amendment, I will be fine with them continuing their good work.

Short list of pro-constitution ACLU issues/accomplishments (from wikipedia):
Desegregation (Brown v Board)
Freedom of speech regardless of how offensive (Westboro Baptist, Neo-Nazi groups)
Separation of church and state (Scopes v State)
Full civil rights for everyone (Race, sex, creed, sexual orientation)
Protection of Privacy (ACLU v NSA, Terkel v AT&T, opposition to PATRIOT Act)
Opposition to drug war (Gonzales v Oregon)
Right - I am not on the side of simply bashing them for being the ACLU, just sending them a signal that they got off track on their 2d amendment view - during the de-segregation era the chant was 'law of the land" when segregationists accused the Court of overstepping its bounds - well Heller is the law of the land too.

John

imported post

The Right to Bear Arms is non-negotiable, for me. From my cold, dead hands, ladies and gentlemen, from my cold, dead hands.

SmallWhiteBox

imported post

Mike wrote:
Right - I am not on the side of simply bashing them for being the ACLU, just sending them a signal that they got off track on their 2d amendment view - during the de-segregation era the chant was 'law of the land" when segregationists accused the Court of overstepping its bounds - well Heller is the law of the land too.
Sending a signal that they are off course regarding the 2nd I can agree with. I was responding to the other posts claiming they are communists and a terrible organization.