• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at the waterfront Blues Fest.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Just wondering if anyone is considering open carry at the 4 day event @ waterfront park.

I have to travel toBend this weekend w/ the family or I'd defiantly go.

Ahem..

Nothing like posting w/o thinking......

After thinkin' a spell, I realized alcohol is going to be served, sohow would this wrinkle impact open carry?

I remember a few years back when the city of Portland attempted to turn away CHL holders from the New Years eve party @ Pioneer courthouse Square. (I believe it was the year after the riot because there were no fireworks... go figure... I was there but behind the police line, as they marched shoulder to shoulder east towards the river. No alcohol was served then...)

I guess my overall question is not "who" might go, but rather does one individualspermission to serve beer trump another's right to carry a firearm openly in a public venue?

I would think it should come down to ones own responsibilityfor their ownconduct regardless of the situation.

Attachments

• TONYA-HARDING_027.jpg
    TONYA-HARDING_027.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 255
  • TONYA-HARDING_027.jpg
    TONYA-HARDING_027.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 254

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are no laws regarding alcohol and carrying weapons. A person can legally carry concealed (with a permit) or openly into a bar in Oregon. I believe the issue with new years party was that it was 'rented' by an organization and then could make their own rules as it was a private event. Or that could have been another event.

grishnav

imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
There are no laws regarding alcohol and carrying weapons. A person can legally carry concealed (with a permit) or openly into a bar in Oregon. I believe the issue with new years party was that it was 'rented' by an organization and then could make their own rules as it was a private event. Or that could have been another event.
Spot on. Some states have laws imitating or mirroring DUI laws where you can't be intoxicated above a certain BAC while carrying, others (like our neighbor to the north) ban you carrying in bars or 21+ areas... But in Oregon, you can pack it redneck style.:celebrate

Just know your limits and be responsible, kids. :)

ccw9mm

imported post

The Waterfront Blues Fest stated "no dangerous weapons" as policy. Did anyone go? Did anyone OC? Did the security folks frisk or get frisky?

Thanatos

imported post

I believe Portland is one of about four municipalities within Oregon with a NO OPEN CARRY law.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you have an oregon permit you can open carry anywhere in the state. If you don't have a permit, you can carry open, but it must be unloaded.

Orygunner

imported post

Thanatos wrote:
I believe Portland is one of about four municipalities within Oregon with a NO OPEN CARRY law.
Puddin99 wrote:
If you have an oregon permit you can open carry anywhere in the state. If you don't have a permit, you can carry open, but it must be unloaded.
Actually, Portland has no "NO OPEN CARRY" Law. It has a law that you cannot carry a LOADED weapon, as allowed by ORS 166.173 (Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places.) If you have a CHL, you are EXEMPT from any city or county restriction (as stated in ORS 166.173 (2) (c).

NOcity, county, or other government entity (like the State Parks Department) in Oregonis allowed to maketheir own laws regarding where you can carry a firearm, ONLY the State Legislature can do that, due to ORS 166.170 (Preemption).

The ONLY cities I currently know ofthat do not allow carry of a loaded firearm are:

The Dalles
Beaverton
Oregon City
Bend
Independence
Salem
Tigard
Portland

Rememeber, if you have a CHL you are EXEMPT from the unloaded carry laws.

...Hope this clears things up...
...Orygunner...