• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the 4th lets take thanks we don't go the way of the UK

exgabrit

imported post

http://www.davekopel.com/2a/foreign/the-gold-standard-of-gun-control.htm

Excert ...... (it's worth reading the whole thing, amazing deception by the government and lack of interest by the UK citizens to keep a grip on their rights, self defence is a joke, a bad joke)

With passage of the Firearms Act of 1997, “it was confidently assumed that the new legislation effectively banning handguns would have the direct effect of reducing certain types of violent crime by reducing access to weapons.”[22] The news media promised that the “world’s toughest laws will help to keep weapons off the streets.”[23]
Yet faster than British gun-owners could surrender their handguns for destruction, guns began flooding into Great Britain from the international black market (especially from eastern Europe and from China), driven by the demands of the country’s rapidly developing criminal gun-culture.[24]

Technically, self-defense is still legal in Great Britain, but in practice, any act of self-defense is subject to a prosecutor’s second-guessing of what is “reasonable.” For example, Brett Osborn is now serving a 5-year sentence for manslaughter. In order to protect a friend, “He stabbed a blood-covered, drug-crazed intruder….” His prosecution stemmed from the fact that he failed to warn the criminal that he had access to a knife.[30]
In 2004, despite popular demand, the British government refused to reform the laws regarding victim self-defense. Home Office Minister Fiona Mactaggart claimed that self-defense reform would be a “licence to kill with impunity.”[31]
Coming to the aid of crime victims is strongly discouraged. British subjects are taught that, if they are attacked by a criminal, they should not yell “Help! Help!” because such cries might encourager a bystander to use physical force against the criminal. Rather, victims are supposed to yell, “Call the police.” Likewise, the government tells Britons that when they are attacked, they should not fight back, but should instead curl into a ball or take a similar defensive posture.[32]
If a properly-behaved British bystander does “call the police,” the response may be lethally slow. Vicky Horgan and her sister Emma Walton were shot by Stuart Horgan on June 6, 2004.[33] A total of sixty calls to 999 (the US’s equivalent to 9-1-1) were made, but help did not arrive for over an hour. The Express explained that a major cause of the delay was police reluctance to confront an armed criminal.[34]

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just can't imagine Englishmen not being angry over this sort of nonsense. There may be plenty of sheep, but I can't imagine there aren't a good number of angry people.

There just has to be pressure building. Self preservation and self defense are so tightly bound to human nature, I can't imagine there is not a rage boiling below the surface over this.

When it finally boils over...

exgabrit

imported post

I think the stiff upper lip got us in the mess in the first place, standing up for your rights requires a certain amount of foot stomping and shouting. I think the country (people) just got in to a false sense of security and thought all would be good. Then woke up one morning and found some one had moved the goal posts, now no one knows where they are. even if they did, they are under lock and key with a big keep out sign.

Citizen wrote:
I just can't imagine Englishmen not being angry over this sort of nonsense. There may be plenty of sheep, but I can't imagine there aren't a good number of angry people.

There just has to be pressure building. Self preservation and self defense are so tightly bound to human nature, I can't imagine there is not a rage boiling below the surface over this.

When it finally boils over...

officerjdc

imported post

The one good thing about this sort of nonsense going on in the UK is that it helps us argue against gun control and anti-self defense laws here by giving us an example to show what happens when the right of self defense is taken away. I think the backlash against the US going in the direction of the UK on this issue may be helping in some small way with the passage of Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws in so many states.

I still hate it for the people in the UK though. They're only supposed to curl up into a ball and yell "call the police" when they're attacked, yet the police are no help because most British police don't carry a sidearm. The UK is in dire need of some common sense in their self defense laws.