• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time OC

GaOwlPoop

imported post

I open carried for the first time today. I went to a UPS store and a Public's Grocery store. For those of you that are not familiar with Public's, they are a sort of up scale grocery store, mostly frequented by blue hairs and upper income folks.

I was a little nervous with the Public's. I figured if I was going to get hassled, that would be the place. NOTHING HAPPENED. I am glad for that. Anyway, I guess I sort of broke the ice.

smash29

imported post

GaOwlPoop wrote:
I open carried for the first time today. I went to a UPS store and a Public's Grocery store. For those of you that are not familiar with Public's, they are a sort of up scale grocery store, mostly frequented by blue hairs and upper income folks.

Well I don't have blue hair so that must make me......upper income? Sweet!!I've been shopping at Publix for all these years and I had no idea!!! Upper income folks can afford lots of guns, or more than I currently have, right? Just theexcuse I need!

:celebrate

Seriously, glad to hear it went well for you.

exgabrit

imported post

Good job ! I've yet to open carry, but yesterday bought a few patriotic shirts to go with my sidearm :)
maybe one of these days I'll join you.

officerjdc

imported post

I considered OCing for my dinner at Applebee's last night, but I decided against itbecause I know my employer doesn't have my back if I'm arrested no matter what the circumstancesandfinal disposition of the case are. I keep wanting to OC into some public place just to get myself used to doing itout of uniformsomewhereoff ofFort Stewart, but I'm one of those unlucky people who would have 911 called and getsome prickcop who thinks OC is (or should be) illegal and get arrested and lose my job. If I didn't have such an unaccomodating employer I would probably have started OCing a long time ago. Maybe if I start seeing people do it around Hinesvilleand not get hassled by the cops over it I'll work up the courage to start doing it too.

Strangely enough, I just saw another security officer from my employer at an automotiveservice shop in Hinesvilletoday. This man works a different contract than the one for the gatesI'm on, protecting the National Guard Training Center on Fort Stewart. I could tell that because the officers on that contract wear a different badge and hat than we do. This man was getting a minivan that was obviously not a company vehicle serviced, and he was in full uniform with his weapon and body armorand all his gear on.On the contract I work on we don't take company ownedweapons home with us after shift. I thought that was odd, one of ourofficers in Hinesville getting his personal vehicle serviced in full uniform and gear.

I always carry

imported post

I'm reaching out to shake your hand :cool:! Congrats! I've been in Publix (4 different stores) OC'ing so many times I've lost count. No one says anything. One bagger kid asked what model Glock I was carrying. Then, commented on his model. Another day coming out of the store, a Cobb County Deputy passed me on his way into the store. He walked past me on my strong (carry) side and didn't even look twice. We just nodded / smiled to each other. Keep on keepin' on!

groats

imported post

If you're scared to death to be openly carrying a weapon, your nervousness is going to show. Who is nervous in a grocery store? Shoplifters and robbers, that's who.
Don't be surprised if you attract attention, acting like that (even if your gun wasn't showing or you were unarmed).

I've wandered around with a visible weapon on my hip in numerous places. Couldn't even get the attention of sheriff's deputies standing right beside me.

Hint: resist the urge to shout THIS IS A STICKUP! That might draw unwanted attention.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Best of luck G23, and all the new OC'ers.

Just be confident and cool-headed and everything should be fine.

(Oh also, enjoy that feeling of weightlessness/flying for the first few times OC'ing. It never really goes away, but like they say.."there's nothing like your first time." LOL.)

open4years

imported post

Congratulations. I've OCed since 1995, when it is hot which is most of the time! I had trouble at Walmart until I switched to a Glock, black holster and black belt

I have gotten stopped at Lowe's a number of times. Even worse is they appear scared. I don't get that reaction anywhere else, including banks.

The solution was simple: Boycott Lowes and give all my business to Home Depot as I've never been stopped there. I plan on sending Lowes a letter telling them why they lost my business.

LegitMW

imported post

just because several employees are scared of guns at Lowes shouldnt mean that we need to boycott them. For all we know the owner/President/CEO of Lowes could be gun rights advocates. if you are gonna write a letter, mention the location and emplyees that were being -----. but yea I like Home Depot better

aadvark

imported post

Publix Company Policy allows Handguns..., but, they do not allow Long Guns.

***I know this becuase I Openly Carried a Long Gun into Publix, which, of course, they asked me to leave.***

Furthermore, Publix preferes Concealed Carry of Handguns, but depending on the Store, The Store Manager may tolerate Open Carry.

Publix Official Policy straight out of Lakeland, Florida is: -Publix allows Firearms on Publix Property, provided; the possesor is in compliance with all applicable Federal and State Laws.-

The Customer Service Official from The Legal Department of Publix Company Headquaters in Lakeland told me that Long Guns are a little much..., but do allow they [Publix] allows Handguns because:

1. They may or may not be noticable, depending on whether or not they are Concealed or not, and

2. The Public is more used to seeing Handguns, as this is what Policemen usually have.

***Publix is more upscale, I agree, and is usually located in Sub-Urban Areas. People who normally live here are not morea-customed to, or very understanding of, Long Gun Carry, as they may be more Rural Areas for Hunting or Recreational purposes.***

bmbaker2k5

imported post

I live just 2 minutes from a RaceTrac and a Publix I go to both places while open carrying. I've never had problems at either. I was asked by a clerk at RaceTrac if I had a gun on me and I replied, "yes, I have my permit to carry but if it's preferred that I leave it in my car I will." to which he replied, "I don't care I just don't see anyone carrying a firearm I have one as well but company policy I can't carry while working."
we then had a conversation about guns and carrying.
I now frequently show up at all times to refill my "free-fill" cup.
they always know that while i'm in there i'm armed. they have been robbed before so i think they appreciate the drop-ins lol.

Kingfish

imported post

bmbaker2k5 wrote:
I live just 2 minutes from a RaceTrac and a Publix I go to both places while open carrying. I've never had problems at either. I was asked by a clerk at RaceTrac if I had a gun on me and I replied, "yes, I have my permit to carry but if it's preferred that I leave it in my car I will." to which he replied, "I don't care I just don't see anyone carrying a firearm I have one as well but company policy I can't carry while working."
we then had a conversation about guns and carrying.
I now frequently show up at all times to refill my "free-fill" cup.
they always know that while i'm in there i'm armed. they have been robbed before so i think they appreciate the drop-ins lol.
Good report. Welcome to the forum!!

aadvark

imported post

I am not sure about Racetrak, but Publix allows Firearms in their Stores..., up to a point.

bmbaker2k5

imported post

I got the cops called on me about 20 minutes ago at quicktrip.... went with my wife to get some coffee. officer walked in and came straight to me. asked if i had a permit for my open carried weapon... "Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit." and the officer told me the permit was for concealed carry... what a bunch of baloney. I'll open carry wherever I please if it is not against the law. and i will continue to do so.

aadvark

imported post

Gwinnett County Police have a real attitude with Open Carry, and they also do not like anything about GeorgiaCarry.

The only thing that is going to straighten them out is either a Lawsuit, or a costly State or Superior Court battle in The Gwinnett County Circuit.

I can not find anything on The Gwinnett Police Website, but I am under the impression that they are aware of SB 308, in light of the discussion that they had with you the other day in the Gas Station.

Kingfish

imported post

bmbaker2k5 wrote:
I got the cops called on me about 20 minutes ago at quicktrip.... went with my wife to get some coffee. officer walked in and came straight to me. asked if i had a permit for my open carried weapon... "Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit." and the officer told me the permit was for concealed carry... what a bunch of baloney. I'll open carry wherever I please if it is not against the law. and i will continue to do so.
Can you start a new thread and detail this encounter?

Freedom 1st

+1

just because several employees are scared of guns at Lowes shouldnt mean that we need to boycott them. For all we know the owner/President/CEO of Lowes could be gun rights advocates. if you are gonna write a letter, mention the location and emplyees that were being -----. but yea I like Home Depot better

Lowe's corporate policy is to allow carry whenever or wherever it is legal to do so. Openly or concealed.

Last edited: