• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My trip to Villa Ridge

damion441

imported post

Hey everyone, I've Been reading the forums for a while now but just registered. Im from Kentucky and figured i would share my experience of my trip through Missouri.
About a year ago I went on a last minute road trip to see a friend of mine in Villa Ridge. I was seventeen at the time and had a little .25 that I brought with me. I had the Mag full but not loaded and kept them both in the glove box. As I was driving on I44 at 1:30 am I was pulled over by MSP for failure to show plates. When he asked if i had any weapons in the vehicle I told him that I had the pistol in the glove box but the magazine was not in it. He asked me to step out and then asked if he could search me. I told him it was fine and he patted me down and told me that he was going to have me sit in the cruiser. I went to get in the back of the cruiser and he told me to sit up front and then asked me if it was ok to retrieve the pistol from my car, I told him it was fine. He ran the #'s on it and it came back as not stolen and to the person I had gotten it from as I had told him it would. He told me I was free to go after another quick visual search of the vehicle and handed me back the .25, he was nice about it and joked around throughout the entire traffic stop. I continued on my was to my destination and had a fine trip and didn't have anymore trouble while i was in Missouri. All in all it gave me a good view of MSP.

Article1section23

imported post

damion441 wrote:
Hey everyone, I've Been reading the forums for a while now but just registered. Im from Kentucky and figured i would share my experience of my trip through Missouri.
About a year ago I went on a last minute road trip to see a friend of mine in Villa Ridge. I was seventeen at the time and had a little .25 that I brought with me. I had the Mag full but not loaded and kept them both in the glove box. As I was driving on I44 at 1:30 am I was pulled over by MSP for failure to show plates. When he asked if i had any weapons in the vehicle I told him that I had the pistol in the glove box but the magazine was not in it. He asked me to step out and then asked if he could search me. I told him it was fine and he patted me down and told me that he was going to have me sit in the cruiser. I went to get in the back of the cruiser and he told me to sit up front and then asked me if it was ok to retrieve the pistol from my car, I told him it was fine. He ran the #'s on it and it came back as not stolen and to the person I had gotten it from as I had told him it would. He told me I was free to go after another quick visual search of the vehicle and handed me back the .25, he was nice about it and joked around throughout the entire traffic stop. I continued on my was to my destination and had a fine trip and didn't have anymore trouble while i was in Missouri. All in all it gave me a good view of MSP.

Daimon..good first post. Next time tell them, no they can't search you or your vehicle. Don't offer them anything on their fishing expo...just hand over your driver license and insurance...if they can search they will. Be polite and say, I understand, but no.

captainamerica

imported post

Just curious if you had researched the Missouri law on concealing handguns in vehicles prior to your trip in? At 17 a lot of kids are bullied away from owning or even possessing handguns without someone over 18 or 21 in their presence. Not sure the lawsare such but I was thinking 18 was the cutoff. Also, did you have to come through Illinois during your trip?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From Missouri State Highway Patrol

In addition to the concealed carry endorsement discussed above,
Missouri now permits any person who is at least 21 years old to transport
a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor
vehicle. No concealed carry endorsement is required. Under the old
law, the peaceable journey exception to the unlawful-use-of-a-weapon
law permitted travelers on a continuous peaceable journey to carry a
concealed weapon. The peaceable journey exception is still in the law,
and may apply in circumstances where the new law does not (i.e. if the
person is less than 21 years old).
[line]
Welcome to the forum Damion441.

damion441

imported post

Sorry it has taken so long to reply I was spending the weekend camping on the river with my girl. No I had not researched the laws before my trip. And I did not think the peaceable journey would apply to me in any case since i was under 18 and not leagly able to even carry it in my home state or the state I was traveling to. Yes I did travel through Ill. Probably a really good thing I did not get stopped there. And thank you deepdiver for the welcome, I have ghosted the kentucky forums for awhile and decided i would share my experience so far.