• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Educational opportunity

heresolong

imported post

Went in to get my hair cut today and a little boy, maybe five or six, asks his mom about my gun. I turned to look and she was telling him that you don't see that very much and that he should ask me about it. He asked why I carry a gun and I told him that if someone was in trouble sometimes the police can't get there fast enough. He asked if I was a policeman and I told him that I wasn't. I then sat down and started reading a magazine. He came over, (his mom was getting a haircut), sat down next to me, and we started watching cartoons. He chatted with me, answered questions about the cartoon, and never mentioned the gun again. A great kid who now has a positive experience that he might be able to relate someday when his teachers try to tell him how evil anyone with a gun is.

just_a_car

imported post

Good on ya, heresolong.

It's situations like that that make me so happy to OC. Telling people the truth about firearms can be surprisingly gratifying.

Holo

imported post

Wow, I would have applauded the mother in this case. That could have EASILY gone the other way.

"Just don't look at him."

"hush don't say anything"