• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello , Newbie here ,

Ozark Hauler

imported post

Hello , I'm Steve . My wife and I moved here 3 +years ago from the west (SW Oregon;Carson City/Dayton , Nv.) We've always lived on what we thought were the fringes of society ,but here I've discovered a whole new meaning to the word "Fringe" . We live 1 mile from pavement and 2 flooding creeks during the wet season and 5 miles to Hwy 60 if not blocked by trees or cuts from the water the other way .

We're country folks and live well outside of town where Law Enforcement isnot a viable option except to take down the particulars. If we did need the law it would be well after the fact .

After seeing the Open Carry segement (last week ?) it opened my eyes a bit . But reading some posts it seems that the OC Laws in Missouriare not always clear , and open to personal interpretation by LEO's and local ordinances .

So here is one question that I have . If you choose to open carry what are Missouris' laws on carrying a loaded pistol/revolver in you personal vehicle ?

Our society is in the "Crapper" basically with way too many Druggies (Tweakers especially) and Drunks just looking for trouble . I'm a night Owl and have seen people cruising our farm road @ 2-3 am .and then parking not far off of our property line and then make another pass .And the hard times are only starting . We think they will get much worse in the near future .

In our eyes this is only going to get worse ,I've thought about a CCW permit for both of us , but having a holstered firearm in plain view would seem to bemore of a deterrent if ever the need to use it arose .

I had a .40 12 years ago that was a POS and sold it soon after purchasing it .It was a "Firestorm"(?) Even with theslide locked back in place the barrel had about .020"-.030" of play . That thing was all over the place when I fired . It was also too "snappy" trying to keep on target for multiple shots .

I inherited an old DASW .38 spl. with a4" Barrel from my Grand Fatherwho died in 95 at 92 years old . Only thing it has on the left of thebarrel is : 38 S&W Special CTG and on the right : S&W Springfield, Mass.and patent dates from 1894-1908 .Wood Checkered Grip withwhat may be a Phenolic plastic extension on the front of thehandle and a Brass SW Inset . The way it's set up with that extension on the grip it reminds me of an old Service Revolver.

Thisrevovlershoots fantastic and is mechanically a 9-10 . The Blueing is worn from it's leather holster . It fits my hands great and I'm able to shoot it comfortably and accuratley (I'm have nerve damage in both hands and right forearm so a Mule Gun is a bit too much ).

Using a 6 shot revolver would it be wise to carry 1-2 speed loaders ? A local gun dealer in Mountain Grove recommended some rounds I believe from Hornaday , I'm pretty sure they were "Hydra shocks" Right now It's loaded with 158 grn. lead round nose that I use for target practice .

We survive on my Veterans Disability Pension so there is not a chance of getting a pistol anytime soon . I've fired my buddies replica 1911 and it wasn't that bad nor that outstanding other that the fact that it shoots bowling balls and has some serious punch to it . I also owned a Ruger 44 Mag . with a 7" barrel and Pachmeyer grips that was pretty smooth shooting but sold it back in 92' to pay bills . My neighbor would tell me if I ever had to shoot someone in his direction to call first so he could hit the deck before I fired .

Also , Where can I find info on Missouri Law about self defense of property/home/life using Lethal Force if needed ?

Thanks ,Steve

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From Page 4 (left hand side) of the Missouri State Highway Patrol website (printable pamphlet) on firearms (mostly about concealed carry)

In addition to the concealed carry endorsement discussed above,
Missouri now permits any person who is at least 21 years old to transport
a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor
vehicle. No concealed carry endorsement is required. Under the old
law, the peaceable journey exception to the unlawful-use-of-a-weapon
law permitted travelers on a continuous peaceable journey to carry a
concealed weapon. The peaceable journey exception is still in the law,
and may apply in circumstances where the new law does not (i.e. if the
person is less than 21 years old). Also, any coroner, deputy coroner,
medical examiner, or assistant medical examiner may carry a concealable
firearm upon or about their person without an endorsement.
Note: This law does not affect the law prohibiting possession of a concealable
firearm by a dangerous felon.

And from Page 3:
Q: Does a person carrying a weapon in a vehicle also have to have a permit for the gun?
A: No. A weapon may be carried anywhere in a vehicle, even concealed on the person, under the vehicle exception.

[line]In short, as long as you are 21 years of age or older and can legally own a firearm, you can carry a handgun any way you wish, loaded or unloaded, anywhere in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle in the state of Missouri. It does not have to be your firearm, you can borrow it from a friend or relative. The pamphlet linked about gives an overview of a lot of the applicable information.

The "Castle Doctrine" Bill can be found HERE. The entire Missouri revised statutes can be found HERE. The Castle Doctrine bill changed several statutes. If you read the bill and refer to the Missouri statutes website to read the entire statute covered you will have a pretty good overview of the Missouri handgun law and lethal force laws.

ETA (edited to add): Welcome to OCDO - hope you enjoy the forum!

ShowMeCarry

imported post

Does anyone know if motorcycles are considered vehicles for the purposes of the vehicle exemption?

psywarrior13

imported post

I have been a lurker here for a little while, usually found on THR, but thought I would just add a question to the discussion. Is there a list of what cities in MO allow open carry (I currently live in Gladstone, and I can't read legalese at all, tried reading the local ordinance but it just made my head hurt.) I know that NKC does not, and I avoid that place at all costs anyway. Any help would be much appreciated.

Article1section23

imported post

Ozark Hauler wrote:
Hello , I'm Steve .

Hey Steve,

Get this book - http://www.wmsa.net/Books/Missouri_Law.htm. Also, get a good rifle (ar or ak), shotgun (pump or semi) and pistol (glock or ??)for yourself and then what ever your wife wants (another ar, ak, glock..??). Just make sure that she knows and can use all the above.I really like the reduced recoil stocks for the shotguns for women...ar's and ak's areeasy for them toshoot.Pistol, might have to be a single stack for her.

Welcome!

captainamerica

imported post

Ozark Hauler - Consider getting a CCW so you can be stealth, carry in areas OC is unlawfulor will attract too much attention, and outside the Missouri borders in states that honor our permit.

You are right about our society. We have friends that grew up in Mountain Grove and it's a great place to get away from society. But criminals and low lifes can be and are everywhere.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ShowMeCarry wrote:
Does anyone know if motorcycles are considered vehicles for the purposes of the vehicle exemption?
I was told in my CCW class that yes, motorcycles are considered vehicles for the purposes of the vehicle exemption. The statue reads: this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state. (571.030 (3) ) http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM

We were told that as long as you are on, or immediately next to the motorcycle dismounting, mounting or storing/removing from the motorcycle immediately after dismounting or immediately prior to mounting, the exemption applies. If you dismount walk 2 feet and start pumping gas for example, the exemption no longer applies.