• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

texas man shoots neighbors robbers

bill_wv

imported post

Joe Horn gave two men the death penalty for robbing a house. The 911 operator told him not to go outside, and he cited the Texas code that gave him permission to kill in defense of property, went outside, and killed them. He shot one of them in the back as the man was running away.

Most of us who carry firearms understand them to be a last resort for use defense of life or serious harm, and have no desire to use them. Joe Horn didn't have to go outside, he was told not to. He didn't have to kill anyone, he wanted to. This was not a last resort by any stretch of the imagination.

He was clearly within his legal rights since the grand jury did not indict him, but to have the right to do something is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. I'm no bleeding-heart liberal, but there are limits. In my world, you don't kill people for stealing, and you don't shoot someone in the back who is running for their life.

Sorry, I just can't agree with what he did.

Edit: By the way, I don't mean to judge the man. I wasn't there that night, and clearly I was not in Joe Horn's shoes. I can't say for sure that I might not have acted in the same way in that situation. I like to think that I wouldn't have gone outside in the first place, especially having been told not to by a 911 operator, but I can't say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't have since I haven't been put in that spot. All I know is that based on the facts I have available to me (which are almost certainly not all of them), and in my comfy, armchair-quarterbacking position, I disagree with what he did.

ShufflnAlong

imported post

He could also have been easily blindsided walking out of his house by another robber outside. He is not the poster boy for anything other than stupidity in my eyes.

PISTOL PACKIN MAMA

imported post

i would only hope that my neighbors would do the same for me. if those men were caught, they would have went to prison for a -short- time, got out, done it again and possibly the next house they robbedwould have a family inside. it might make others think twice beforeburglarizing a home and killing a family over their belongings. i dont think he's racists. i think he would have shot me if he saw me doing the same thing, and i wouldn't blame him if he did.

i think he sent out a good message to burglars, and that is, GET A JOB!

bradco

imported post

I have thought about this type of situation, if it happened to me, first I would have listened to the 911 operator and not gone outside as I was reporting already, second if I did go outside, if the Bg was running away, that is not seen as a life or death defensable situation in my mind, he would have had to be charging me with weopon of sorts in hand, and then only would I have taken action, sorry but it does not seem that this was a good Idol moment for anybody, just my opinion.