• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Class III Weapons

scorpioajr

imported post

My instinctual answer is - NO

But i have heard of an ATF tax (?) that can be paid annually or something like that so one (a civilian) can own a Class III weapon.

Can anyone clarify or educate me on this subject?

Thanks Guys.

scorpioajr

imported post

Ok , this is all i found so far: accurate?

1. You may only own a machine gun that was manufactured and registered with the BATF before May 19, 1986. Weapons manufactured after that date are restricted for Military and Law Enforcement use only.

2.An individual purchasing a “ National Firearms Act Weapon “, NFA weapon or class 3 weapon is required to pay a one time, $200 Federal Excise Tax fee.

3.To obtain an NFA weapon, you must first select one. The reason is, forms are required to transfer the weapon from seller to buyer, requiring specific information. There are several types of forms to accommodate these transfers. A form “3”, accommodates dealer to dealer transfers (Class 3, in or out of state). A form “4”, accommodates dealer to individual transfers, within the state. Unlicensed individuals may not transfer class 3 weapons directly into their state. An active Class 3 license is required to execute the transfer. If you hold an active standard FFL, you may transfer the weapon in directly, however the law enforcement signature, photographs, and fingerprint cards are still required, as well as the $200 FET.

4.The form “4” is quite simple. It will be filled out in duplicate by your Class 3 dealer, showing the current owner of the weapon and address, your name and address, description of the weapon and serial number, etc.. You will be given the forms, along with a set of fingerprint cards. On the back of the form is a place for your photograph and your local law enforcement official’s signature.

5.The required signature may come from a multitude of sources. The Chief of Police, the Sheriff, District Attorney, a Federal judge, State Chief of Police, etc.. Typically the person signing this form “4”, will conduct a background check on you, insuring that you are a person in good standing, within your community. In fact, even if you are a fine upstanding member of the community, you will find this part of the NFA weapon acquisition, the most difficult. Why? Most of the local law enforcement officials today, are no longer police officers, but unfortunately, appointed politicians. You will find that they typically do not sign such documents, with their eyes closed and will generally give a “no” response via a “clerk”, when you call up like “Lever Action Bubba” screaming that he has to sign this form, so you can have your machine gun. The “no” answer is to slow down 99% of the individuals that just think they want a class 3 weapon. If you are dealing with a clerk and not him directly, this is what you deserve. However, there is the remaining 1%, that will do something intelligent, like make an appointment to talk about the signature, maybe have a cup of coffee, etc..

6.After you have obtained an official signature, return the forms along with your photographs (taped to the back), your fingerprint cards, and your check for $200, (payable to The Department of the Treasury) to your dealer. All of this information, along with the FET fee, will be forwarded to the BATF and they will begin the process of transferring the ownership of the weapon to your name. No, you don’t give up all your rights at this point. Search warrants are still required by law, these days, even for an individual that owns a class 3 weapon.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yup what you found is about it...

if you have the money to buy one, go for it.

I think..... there are other weapons you can buy that are new that still fall under class III, silencers/suppressors are one of them

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
umm, I think that tax is actually once per firearm, but I'm not sure.

yes that is correct, for every; machine gun, Short Barrel Rifle (SBR), silencer, M203, shorty shot gun, whatever Class III or Any Other Weapon (AOW). You pay the $200 Class III tax or $5 AOW tax.

Its too bad not all states allow these kinds of weapons, its just another warm fuzzy feel good law IMO

scorpioajr

imported post

Ok - nut what cncerned me was this; " You may only own a machine gun that was manufactured and registered with the BATF before May 19, 1986"

So... im gonna have to wait for some Magnum PI look-alike to croak so i can buy his M4 at auction???

thx997303

imported post

Yeah, and if it does, I still wont mind if it's a light drifting drizzle, would feel nice, but a downpour would screw up everything.

41 Magnum

imported post

Youguys knowI work with a local classIII dealer, FBMG, right? So come see us when you're ready. Here's the skinny on class III items-

ALL classIII items have an individual serial number, just like all regular guns, cars, etc.

1. All ClassIII items are legal in Utah. Other states may or may not be(and some states only certain items that fall under classIII rules), you'd have to check with them.

2. Each INDIVIDUAL classIII item requiresyou to completea form 4 generally. Then you send in the completed form 4 and a set of fingerprints, along with your $200.00 check for the tax stamp,and your passport photosinto the feds.

3. If all goes well on your background check, you get your stamp in the mail in about 6 weeks(that's the current turn-around time anyway).

4. You IMMEDIATELY go to the local kinko's and make a few copies of said stamp!!

5. You then take the originalstamp to your classIII dealer and take possesion of the weapon.

6. You take the ORIGINAL stamp home and put it where you put things like your house title, insurance papers, birth certificate, etc.

7. EACH and EVERY time you take that weapon out for a range trip, make double dip damn sure you have a copy of that stamp on your person.

8. Other folks can fire the weapon as long as YOU are phisically there in possesion of it.

9. NEVER, EVER, let someone take it out to shoot if you aren't going with them in person.

10. When and if you ever move, there is another form you must fill out and send in so your records can be updated.

41 Magnum

imported post

Forgot-

You were correct when stating that machine guns had to be registered prior to 86 to be civilian legal. So, yeah, capitalism &supply and demand being what they are full auto is expensive.

But if you just want to get your feet wet on classIII items, you could have a brand new suppressed walther p-22 for around 700ish(that price includes the tax stamp, BTW).

If you want to play with full auto stuff, see the thread I started titled: UTAH, LISTEN UP!!.

scorpioajr

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
Youguys knowI work with a local classIII dealer, FBMG, right? So come see us when you're ready. Here's the skinny on class III items-

ALL classIII items have an individual serial number, just like all regular guns, cars, etc.

1. All ClassIII items are legal in Utah. Other states may or may not be(and some states only certain items that fall under classIII rules), you'd have to check with them.

2. Each INDIVIDUAL classIII item requiresyou to completea form 4 generally. Then you send in the completed form 4 and a set of fingerprints, along with your $200.00 check for the tax stamp,and your passport photosinto the feds.

3. If all goes well on your background check, you get your stamp in the mail in about 6 weeks(that's the current turn-around time anyway).

4. You IMMEDIATELY go to the local kinko's and make a few copies of said stamp!!

5. You then take the originalstamp to your classIII dealer and take possesion of the weapon.

6. You take the ORIGINAL stamp home and put it where you put things like your house title, insurance papers, birth certificate, etc.

7. EACH and EVERY time you take that weapon out for a range trip, make double dip damn sure you have a copy of that stamp on your person.

8. Other folks can fire the weapon as long as YOU are phisically there in possesion of it.

9. NEVER, EVER, let someone take it out to shoot if you aren't going with them in person.

10. When and if you ever move, there is another form you must fill out and send in so your records can be updated.
very cool. Thank you.