• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First LEO Encounter

Ajetpilot

imported post

I wasat a Fourth of July community gathering in Snoqualmie.

So, the first guy comes up and asked me why I'm open carrying. I told him I had many reasons, but one was to educate others as to the legality of open carry in Washington State, and offered him a pamphlet which he refused.Then he shows me his ID (sorry, I didn't note which department),and says he knows it's my right, but I shouldn't do it around kids, and that I was not prepared for a gun grab.

He says, "I could have taken your gun from you, and put a bullet in your head just now."

I asked, "Do I need to worry about that from you?" No answer. I asked again. Still no answer. I didn't have my recorder on, because the were in off- duty.

The discussion went on for ten more minutes, and he was joined by his LEO friend. Neither one of them wanted a pamphlet from me. I don't think I changed their minds, but about twenty people around us heard the discussion, and saw me asserting my rights unashamedly. I enjoyed that!

I love the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the United States of America! Happy Fourth of July everyone!

joeroket

imported post

You should have had your recorder on. Once he showed you his officer credentials he was acting in official capacity and it was not a private conversation.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
complaint about what? He was never asked for ID and was obviously not detained.
Well, first the idiot cop threated to take his gun and shoot him in the head. But I think the bigger question is what law restricts the carry of a firearm around kids? Surely not part of the Second Amendment or the Washington State Constitution or any other Washington State law.

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Well, first the idiot cop threated to take his gun and shoot him in the head. But I think the bigger question is what law restricts the carry of a firearm around kids? Surely not part of the Second Amendment or the Washington State Constitution or any other Washington State law.
I didn't see it as a threat at all, he was merely giving him his opinion onn what could possibly happen, and it doesn't sound like the officer told him it was illegal.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

joeroket wrote:

Our 1st Amendment right to petition for redress of grievances is not limited to violations of the law or PD policy and procedure. If it were, the government could just legislate us into a corner and we've have nothing to complain about.

We don't know for which department the officer works, thus no complaint is really possible--no recipient. As an exercise,I would like to suggest possible points that could be complainedabout:

1) The false acknowledgement of a right. The officer said he knows its a right but then tells you why you shouldn't exercise it.The instant he added the "but" it proved he didn'tpersonally recognize your right. It didn't matter what came after the "but".He literally does not respect the right. A government agent tried to persuadethe OPnot toexercise a right.

2) The kids? What's the deal with that? Are they deliberatelytrying to train childrento fear legitimate means of self-defense? I'll bet cops don't hide their guns around their own kids. Or is it something worse? Does he fear violence towards the children?Such implied latent criminality is a smear I would not bear.

3) Gun grab?How did he know the OC'er was not prepared? Had no retention on the holster? I very much liked the OP's response to that one.

Separately, I'll bet that cop would be on-duty real quick if he thought you were doing something actionable.

I'm suspicious of the badge-flash. Not only is it possible hereally was off-duty. I'd take even odds the real reason he said "off-duty"was that he was out of his jurisdiction.

Also, why flash a badge at all? Think about it. What possible motive had he for doing that? Heseems to have only usedit togive theweight of authority to hiscriticisms.

Crackajack

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
I didn't see it as a threat at all, he was merely giving him his opinion onn what could possibly happen, and it doesn't sound like the officer told him it was illegal.

Agreed. Just because someone says they could have done something doesn't make it a threat. If he would have said, "Im going to" instead of "I could have" etc... then yeah, a threat. But theres been times where I have seen things such as a car running with an open door and the driver away and Ive made the comment "Jeez, I could just jump into that car and drive off with it."

Doesnt mean Im threatening to steal a car.

Ajetpilot

imported post

To answer a couple of questions, I was never asked for ID; I was never told it was illegal to open carry; I was never detained.

I didn't like LEO1 taking the pamphlet from me and throwing it on the ground. I didn't like LEO1's comment about being able to grab my gun and put a bullet in my head. I thought those two things were unprofessional.

LEO2 and I parted amicably.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
irfner wrote:
Citizen wrote:
If he breathed, he was polluting, too.
Yes and the best way to reduce dangerous CO2 emissions would be for all liberals to hold their breaths for about thirty minutes. Problem solved.
Wow, what an ignorant statement.
Before an argument starts, maybe we can all agree that RKBA is important and let it go at that.

Thundar

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
He says, "I could have taken your gun from you, and put a bullet in your head just now."
So what are you advocating officer, the forced disarmament of all open carry (including police officers)?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

The Second Amendment 'shall not be infringed' by requirements of reasonableness and safety, both the purview of only tyrants. Safety is a tyrant's tool because no one can be against safety.

Gun-grabbers are gun grabbers, whether they do it from behind or from behind their badges.