• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First LEO Encounter

ScottNH

imported post

"I could have taken your gun from you, and put a bullet in your head just now."
"Do I need to worry about that from you?" No answer. I asked again.

"Did you just threaten me?"

"911 operator, what's your emergency?"

"Operator, my name is Ajetpilot, and I'm at the Snoqualmie 4th of July celebration, and a man is threatening to take my gun and shoot me. He may or may not have a badge, but he's in civilian clothes. He's 5'9", 180 pounds, wearing a blue..."

That would get him explaining his conduct in a rapid fashion.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:
He says, "I could have taken your gun from you, and put a bullet in your head just now."
So what are you advocating officer, the forced disarmament of all open carry (including police officers)?
You might add to the disarming, "the murder of themat that point without due process of law." To me that's a threat and at the very least a totally inappropriate statement from any LEO, on or off duty after the badge flash.

Richard6218

imported post

First, the remark about all liberals holding their breaths to stop CO2 emissions was for all time. Well said
lol.gif

As to the part of this thread about LEO1 threatening to shoot you, you could well have reported him immediately to 911. The guy threatened to kill you; that is harassment under RCW 9A.46.020. It wouldn't have mattered what jurisdiction he was from, or even that he was an LEO. That was a threat of deadly force and was unlawful on its face. Theguy should be behind bars right now. Here's the RCW:

[align=right][/align]
[/b](1) A person is guilty of harassment if:

(a) Without lawful authority, the person knowingly threatens:

(i) To cause bodily injury immediately or in the future to the person threatened or to any other person; or

(ii) To cause physical damage to the property of a person other than the actor; or

(iii) To subject the person threatened or any other person to physical confinement or restraint; or

(iv) Maliciously to do any other act which is intended to substantially harm the person threatened or another with respect to his or her physical or mental health or safety; and

(b) The person by words or conduct places the person threatened in reasonable fear that the threat will be carried out. "Words or conduct" includes, in addition to any other form of communication or conduct, the sending of an electronic communication.

(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, a person who harasses another is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

(b) A person who harasses another is guilty of a class C felony if either of the following applies: (i) The person has previously been convicted in this or any other state of any crime of harassment, as defined in RCW 9A.46.060, of the same victim or members of the victim's family or household or any person specifically named in a no-contact or no-harassment order; or (ii) the person harasses another person under subsection (1)(a)(i) of this section by threatening to kill the person threatened or any other person.

(3) The penalties provided in this section for harassment do not preclude the victim from seeking any other remedy otherwise available under law.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I didn't get that the badge-flasher was threatening the OP.

I take it as a statement along the lines of, "What you are doing is dangerous. I could have grabbed your gun and shot you. That's how dangerous it is."

Separately, I recommend against SCOTTNH's suggestion above about twisting the intention of the statement and then involving 911.

Keep it honest and straight. One need not rely on deception. Nor involve 911 with what is really a false-alarm call.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Citizen wrote:

I take it as a statement along the lines of, "What you are doing is dangerous. I could have grabbed your gun and shot you. That's how dangerous it is."

Separately, I recommend against SCOTTNH's suggestion above about twisting the intention of the statement and then involving 911.

Keep it honest and straight. One need not rely on deception. Nor involve 911 with what is really a false-alarm call.
When LEO1 flashed the badge he was under the color of law and any threat or even telling the OP to not carry is a violate of US Title 18.

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Citizen wrote:

When LEO1 flashed the badge he was under the color of law and any threat or even telling the OP to not carry is a violate of US Title 18.
I don't think I would go that far. There was nothing in the post that indicated he was trying to force the OP not to carry. An officer saying you shouldn't be carrying with all these kids around is far from a color of law violation.

jbone

imported post

Citizen wrote:
joeroket wrote:
complaint about what? He was never asked for ID and was obviously not detained.
Also, why flash a badge at all? Think about it. What possible motive had he for doing that? Heseems to have only usedit togive theweight of authority to hiscriticisms.

+1. Probably an off duty from Mayor Nickels payroll.

Not sure I will ever understand how those sworn to uphold the law so randomly and often enough violate it. While a pro Law Enforcement community minded person, these few bad apples are becoming bunches.

amlevin

imported post

jbone wrote:
Not sure I will ever understand how those sworn to uphold the law so randomly and often enough violate it. While a pro Law Enforcement community minded person, these few bad apples are becoming bunches.
Because, often as not, the profession attracts bullies.

There are numerous officers that believe in what they do and do the job well without throwing their weight arount. Then there are those don't have the necessary social skills and just rely on the badge and gun to get the job done. There are too few of the former and far too many of the latter.

tito887

imported post

How do you guys just come up with the proper statues dealing with various topics ranging from DC or Open carry or anything else? It seems like when the conversation becomes very focused someone is able to just whip out the statues.

just_a_car

imported post

tito887 wrote:
How do you guys just come up with the proper statues dealing with various topics ranging from DC or Open carry or anything else? It seems like when the conversation becomes very focused someone is able to just whip out the statues.
Over the years, some of us have just memorized them, as we've become so familiar with them, as with anything, it becomes long-term memory.

Otherwise, we actually do the legwork to research and find them.

kparker

MetalChris

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
irfner wrote:
Yes and the best way to reduce dangerous CO2 emissions would be for all liberals to hold their breaths for about thirty minutes. Problem solved.
*starts holding his breath*
Breath Lonnie, breath damn you! :) I think he just meant the "bad" liberals. ;)

jbone

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Breath Lonnie, breath damn you! :) I think he just meant the "bad" liberals. ;)

Al Gore would thank you for your contribution to remove the CO2 omissions; in fact he would ask that every American aside from himself hold their breath for at least 5 minutes a day. This will ensure your carbon foot print decline affords him more personal omissions.

Iron Monger

imported post

Well done sir!

Most bullies, (even LEO bullies)will back down if you stand your ground, and it sounds like you held fast for the conversation to have lasted ten minutes!

I can only hope I have the same fortitude when confronted for the first time by one of his kind that feels it is his right and obligation to approach a law- abiding citizen in public that is obviously not a threat or causing any trouble,and berate, belittle, and verbally assault him under the color of law, when he KNOWS open carry is legal!

This officer isone of "The Only Ones" we too often hear about that think they are so much better than the rest of us, they can say and do things like this, as well as lie on their reports, make false arrests, plant false evidence, and break the law to justify their personal vision of "law enforcement". They think they can browbeat ordinary people with their arroganance, badge, gun and loud voice.

I have a number of friends on different police forces around the area, and they know exactly who these bullies are. They complain about them as we do, and have no more use for them than we do. They tell me thesecops often make their duties more difficult because their attitude and approach to people are often so hostile, it breaks the bond of trust and respect the good cops have worked so hard to establish with people in their comminuty.

My compliments to you for holding you own,and attempting to educate this individual, even though he felt he knew it all, as only an "Only One"can!

WELL DONE!