• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First LEO Encounter

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Iron Monger wrote:
I can only hope I have the same fortitude when confronted for the first time by one of his kind that feels it is his right and obligation to approach a law- abiding citizen in public that is obviously not a threat or causing any trouble,and berate, belittle, and verbally assault him under the color of law, when he KNOWS open carry is legal!
ohhhh... T-shirt idea - Black with raised white letters. Cool idea but I could see them getting their hackles up more over the shirt than the gun. Sizes can be obtained with anything we want on them from petite to 6x tall.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:
He says, "I could have taken your gun from you, and put a bullet in your head just now." 
So what are you advocating officer, the forced disarmament of all open carry (including police officers)?

W T F !

Mainsail

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Iron Monger wrote:
I can only hope I have the same fortitude when confronted for the first time by one of his kind that feels it is his right and obligation to approach a law- abiding citizen in public that is obviously not a threat or causing any trouble,and berate, belittle, and verbally assault him under the color of law, when he KNOWS open carry is legal!
ohhhh... T-shirt idea - Black with raised white letters. Cool idea but I could see them getting their hackles up more over the shirt than the gun. Sizes can be obtained with anything we want on them from petite to 6x tall.

Unfortunately, they won’t be real OC shirts; they’ll just be t-shirts with an OC logo on them. To be real OC shirts they’d need to be cut shorter than a standard t-shirt and have a split seam up the side to get the shirt around your holster.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
Iron Monger wrote:

Unfortunately, they won’t be real OC shirts; they’ll just be t-shirts with an OC logo on them. To be real OC shirts they’d need to be cut shorter than a standard t-shirt and have a split seam up the side to get the shirt around your holster.
Or God forbid, you could tuck the T-sirt into you pants!
RoflLg.gif

Mainsail

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
Iron Monger wrote:

RoflLg.gif

Oh yeah, I’m going to take fashion advise from someone born before electricity. :p

Trigger Dr

imported post

Finally Identified ?

Bear is this YOU? :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:lol::lol::lol:

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote
RoflLg.gif

Oh yeah, I’m going to take fashion advise from someone born before electricity. :p
Holy cow. Bear is that young?? :lol:

I heard he was around during the invention of flame.
Been accused of being older than the rocks in Mason County. The official logo of Bear Racing Team is
icon_weelchairbb-1.gif
We race in the ORG Racing Assn.
happy0198.gif

possumboy

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
He says, "I could have taken your gun from you, and put a bullet in your head just now."

Sounds like he threatened you with violence.

1.) He would steal from you.
2.) He would shoot you in the head.

This would not be acceptable behavior for you to walk up to him and say the same words.

joeroket

imported post

possumboy wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:

Sounds like he threatened you with violence.

1.) He would steal from you.
2.) He would shoot you in the head.

This would not be acceptable behavior for you to walk up to him and say the same words.
There is a huge difference between the words "Could" and "Would". Could implies that you have the ability to do it. Would implies that you have the intent to do it. There is no crime for having the ability to commit a crime, only for the intent of commiting a crime.

possumboy

imported post

joeroket wrote:
There is a huge difference between the words "Could" and "Would". Could implies that you have the ability to do it. Would implies that you have the intent to do it. There is no crime for having the ability to commit a crime, only for the intent of commiting a crime.
Go say that to an officer, see how far your could and would argument gets you.

joeroket

imported post

possumboy wrote:
joeroket wrote:
I actually have said very similar things to officers and thier superiors. An officer not practicing good officer safety is the one thing I will make a huge stink about to them and thier brass.

Besides that it doesn't change the meaning of the words. Do you know what the anticipatory laws in this state are? Probably not. :banghead:

possumboy

imported post

joeroket wrote:
possumboy wrote:
joeroket wrote:
I actually have said very similar things to officers and thier superiors. An officer not practicing good officer safety is the one thing I will make a huge stink about to them and thier brass.

Besides that it doesn't change the meaning of the words. Do you know what the anticipatory laws in this state are? Probably not. :banghead:

Why don't you explain it to me?

OR

We can just jump to Ward v. Commonwealth which allows VA to make a lot of "good faith" arrests with anticipartory warrants.

nathan

imported post

joeroket wrote:

What are the anticipatory laws in WA?

joeroket

imported post

possumboy wrote:
joeroket wrote:
possumboy wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Why don't you explain it to me?

OR

We can just jump to Ward v. Commonwealth which allows VA to make a lot of "good faith" arrests with anticipartory warrants.
Why would we talk about VA caselaw when we are dealing with Wa. law?

The anticipatory crimes in Wa require that a great step towards commission of the crime be accomplished by the suspect. We do not have good faith in our anticipatory laws. It requires articulable facts to show what the suspect did in making an attempt to commit the crime.

Now having said that in reference to the OP if the officer said I could have taken your gun and actually reached for it then it would be a violation of the law in WA.

joeroket

imported post

nathan wrote:
joeroket wrote:

What are the anticipatory laws in WA?
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.28

jbone

imported post

Posted: Wed Jul 9th, 2008 08:02 am

peekaboo wrote: [/b]
jbone wrote:
Peekaboo,

Would like to hearan LEO perpective on the threadby:

Ajetpilot

My First LEO Encounter

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/13080.html
Well first off I don't see an issue.

Second, you need to remeber police officers are no better or worse than anyone else. Whoever and whatever you are in the dark place we all go at home is what you are when you put on the uniform. The badge doesn't make the person...the person makes the badge.

Third, the great thing about the 1st Amendment that people like to quote here is that it works both ways. You can pretty much say whatever you want, no matter how boneheaded it is or how stupid it sounds.

And finally, its two people having a discussion about an issue. One doing much better than the other.

Not to incite anything as I’m PRO LEO, father’s a retired COP. But let’s say a non-LEO walk’s up to a complete stranger and says:

"I could have taken your gun from you, and put a bullet in your head just now."

The stranger feels his life has been threatened and calls 911. Police respond. What next? Will that person be arrested? Stranger wants to file charges on the fact they have implied to commit harm buy the words spoken.

Introduce that person speaking the words carrying a gun; has this person violated any law by implying they could have committed murder while in possession of a gun? My not being a legal mined person or LE savvy is why I ask.

LEO or not, any person needs to exercise common sense and sound judgment when dealing with others, and choose their words wisely. Would be my guess the Officer’s were packing and failed to handle the encounter wisely as fellow citizens sense you say “
No police powers were exercised[/quote]”

Lastly, thanks for you service.