• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Got Home From My Victory Dinner

officerjdc

imported post

I’m stuffed right now. I went to the Applebee’s in Flemington with my weapon concealed on my hip just like I had planned to celebrate the passage of HB 89, the Supreme Court’s decision in the Heller case, and Independence Day.

A couple of days ago I made a prediction in another thread that no one would be shot as a result of my being armed in that restaurant. That prediction held true. I had no problems with the staff there or any other customers. Apparently no one could tell I was armed.

I had a salad and a steak and shrimp dish that was served with garlic mashed potatoes. I drank tea with it, just as the law now allows. After I ate that I had some chocolate mousse for dessert.

As I was eating, I thought about what has happened this year, both at the Supreme Court and in Atlanta at the state capitol. Georgia had more places off limits to weapons than any other state that issues CCW licenses prior to the enactment of HB 89, but that is no longer the case. We were one of only about five states that didn’t allow licensed CCW in restaurants that serve alcohol. It felt good to have that legal prohibition lifted off me. I’ll also benefit from a more streamlined issuing process for my license when I next renew it in 2011. I can also now carry in parks, and the already existing state preemption law will prevent the cities and counties of this state from passing any local laws to the contrary.

I thought about how just a few months ago when I would take my then-girlfriend out to eat at a restaurant we were not familiar with I would have to send her in first so she could ask if they served alcohol there. If they did we would have to go eat elsewhere or I would have to lock my pistol in the car and leave it unattended and vulnerable to theft while we went in and ate. I’ll never have to do that on a date in this state again.

I also thought about how that same former girlfriend asked me to take her to the Olive Garden in Savannah. I knew they had alcohol on the menu there, so I had to lock my pistol in the car. I didn’t enjoy that meal very much knowing my pistol was outside unattended and I was inside defenseless if the shit hit the fan. That will never happen to me in this state again either.

Then my thoughts turned to how the Supreme Court decision in Heller will have far reaching effects on the gun control movement for decades to come. Blanket bans on guns in the home are definitely out now. So-called "safe storage" laws like California’s are probably in jeopardy too, and most likely so are gun owner licensing schemes in which the rich and famous and politically connected get their license while everyone else is routinely denied like in New York City.

To top off an evening I thoroughly enjoyed, the hostess who was working at Applebee’s tonight is a friend of mine whose father worked with us on the gates at Fort Stewartfor several years. I had the chance to talk with her while I was in there.

I feel more content with the gun situation in Georgia than I ever have before! :)

TrkJky

imported post

Samuel Adams wrote:
There is obviously something wrong with your pistol. It didn't jump out of your holster and kill some unsuspecting, innocent children.
I was having the same thought. better send your gun in for counceling as soon as you can...;) :celebrate

jgullock

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
I had a salad and a steak and shrimp dish that was served with garlic mashed potatoes. I drank tea with it, just as the law now allows. After I ate that I had some chocolate mousse for dessert.
Come on, tell the truth. They lucked out because your steak wasn't overcoooked or mashed potatoes weren't cold. We all know something like that would make you snap, slaughtering the wait staff andall your fellow diners.:D