• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DOI apparently extends comment period of gun ban repeal rule for another 30 days!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/environment/archives/142640.asp

Guns-in-parks comment period extended

Folks were not happy when a 60-day comment period on new rules allowing loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges ended at midnight on the East Coast, but at 9 p.m. out West and even earlier in Hawaii. (See this earlier blog post on the topic.)

So the Department of Interior will now take comments for another 30 days, ending July 30.

The new rules would, according to a National Parks Conservation Association press release: "allow visitors to carry loaded, concealed firearms in National Parks and Wildlife Refuges in states where guns are allowed in parks and refuges under state law, a change from current regulations which require guns to be unloaded and locked away during visits to parks."

Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva, D-Ariz., chair of the House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands, was among those calling for an extension, saying:

"It is my hope that ultimately the department will decide to abandon this ill-advised idea for the safety of park visitors and wildlife alike."

Read the language of the proposed rules and directions for commenting on this Federal Register posting.

Tomahawk

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
They probably didn't get enough anti-gun comments and are hoping for more. :lol:

Exactly. "I don't like the answer I got so I'll keep asking until I get the right one." Although in the end, what authority do public comments have anyway?

My guess is that they're hoping the heat will pass and the public will be too distracted to see what they are going to pull in another month.

rdinatal

imported post

Agreed.

This is the time that we (anyone who feels the need to comment) need to reassert our position. I have seen this happen before in small town politics when a ordinance gets resubmitted. All who were opposed filed comments the first time and didn't see the need to resubmit, the second only supporters commented. Guess the outcome...

-R

JosephMingle

imported post

If you didn't keep a copy of your comments, time to write them again. As for me, I'll cut and paste again.