• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bowling Pin Match - Hinesville

Samuel Adams

imported post

WHERE: Mission Essential, Inc.,
918B Hollywood Dr. Hinesville, GA.

WHEN: Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 0900.

ENTRY FEE: $15 per shooter, includes range fee and targets. Handgun rentals and ammunition purchases are available.

FOR INFORMATION: Call 912-408-2006 or email missionessential@hotmail.com or brothers@coastalnow.net.

What is a Bowling Pin Match?

Bowling Pin Matches are fast paced, close range handgun competitions that place a premium on accuracy and reliable equipment and ammunition. We shoot the matches at used bowling pins from bowling alleys after they have reached the end of their useful life. The pins react randomly, particularly to off center hits. Thus accurate bullet placement is important. The sport originated as a demonstration of the effectiveness of Second Chance body armor. The owner of the company, Richard Davis, made a videotape in which he shot a handgun into body armor which he was wearing. To prove that he used live ammo and that the vest allowed him to recover quickly from the shot, he then shot several bowling pins off a table -- and the sport of bowling pin shooting was born!

Rules

Safety

Eye and ear protection is mandatory at all times on the range. The range safety officer calling the match will inspect the line prior to allowing anyone downrange to reset pins. All actions must be locked open and all magazines out of the guns. Once the line is called cold, no one may touch any firearm under any circumstance. The line must be called hot to remove a gun from the line. ALWAYS PRACTICE PROPER MUZZLE CONTROL. Anyone violating safety rules will be asked to leave and their money will not be refunded.

Reloading Magazines

Shooters are encouraged to reload magazines and speed loaders while the range is cold to speed the progression of the match. Obviously, you cannot handle or load firearms while the range is cold.

Capacity Restrictions

Magazines: Rim fire shooters can load no more than ten rounds in their first magazine. Center fire shooters can load no more than eight rounds I their first magazine.

Alibi Strings

Alibi strings are only reshot for range failures. If your table collapses during the string or there is a timer failure you may reshoot the string. Reliability of your firearm is part of the game and there are no reshoots for guns that jam or fail. You may change guns between strings as long as the gun you use conforms to the category you began the relay with.

Starting Position

Once shooters are given the command, "handle and load firearms," they may load rounds into chambers and cock hammers. Shooters start from a 45-degree angle to their body at the firing line.

Distance: 25 feet

Pin type

Five full size bowling pins for all calibers larger than .22 rim fire. six inch Bowling pin tops for rim fire.

Pin tables

36" to 40" high. Eight feet wide, four feet deep.

Pin spots

Pins are spotted 16 inches apart, twelve inches from the front edge of the table for pin tops, and for center fire calibers more powerful than .38 Special/9mm. Spots for 38 Special/9mm. and below are sixteen inches from the rear edge of the table.

Format

Matches are head-to-head. The first shooter to get all five pins ON THE GROUND OR BERM wins the round. Pins knocked over must be shot off the table and onto the ground. Tie tables are shot over. Each round is two out of three to advance. Either single or double elimination can be used. If double elimination, the final round should be three out of five.

Timing In

Each shooter shoots four tables, of five pins per table, individually timed. The shooter's three best times are added together, and the first round match-ups are determined by qualifying times. Match-ups can be either fastest against next fastest down to slowest against next slowest, or fastest against slowest, or however you want to do it. Fastest against next fastest is best for new shooters, as they get to shoot against other new shooters, in most cases. Other schemes for match-ups can also be used. Timing in is a good idea, rather than perhaps just a luck-of-the-draw match-up, as it allows every shooter to get warmed up a bit, and to be sure everything is working OK.

Start

Referee's commands are typically "Shooters to the line", "Load and make ready.", "Ready on the left", "Ready on the right", and "Standby." Shooter's start position can be either be with gun touching the table, if there is a table, or with the gun pointed down at a 45 degree angle. When the referee's timer horn blows, the shooters commence firing until the referee announces either "Winner on the Left", "Winner on the right", or "Tie table".

DKing

imported post

Use a high speed one so we can catch your "Matrix" moves...:lol:

Samuel Adams

imported post

DKing wrote:
Use a high speed one so we can catch your "Matrix" moves...:lol:

No can do. The "Matrix" moves are secret squirrel stuff. :p But as for the shoot...

It was a very good time and a great success. 24 shooters showed up. We went through 40 bowling pins and they certainly took a beating.

The top prize of $75 went to John Witsman.

The runner up, Steve Menjes, was awarded a gift certificate from Mission Essential.

The 3rd place prize of free range time went to Chuck Brothers.

Thanks to MattandEric for being a big help. We hustled our posteriors off, setting pins up and keeping scores.

Shooters using JHP ammo had the most success. In addition, the top four shooters were shooting steel guns and not combat tupperware.
icon_razz.gif

Thanks to all for showing up. All procedes are going to GCO.

officerjdc

imported post

I enjoyed competing in this match even though I didn't do all that well. I was one of the first time shooters who didn't know better than to bring FMJ. I bought a box of Silver Bear JHPs from Mission Essentialafter I shot my time-in, and they did somewhat better even though I lost to the eventual third place finisher in my first head-to-head matchup. I also brought two of my 9mm pistols since all my pistols except the .32 revolverI inherited from my grandmother when she died are 9mm. I'll be better prepared next time I compete in a bowling pin match.

I plan to continuecompeting in any matches of any type held at Mission Essential or at Rye Patch Gun Club as my work schedule allows.

Samuel Adams

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
I enjoyed competing in this match even though I didn't do all that well. I was one of the first time shooters who didn't know better than to bring FMJ. I bought a box of Silver Bear JHPs from Mission Essentialafter I shot my time-in, and they did somewhat better even though I lost to the eventual third place finisher in my first head-to-head matchup. I also brought two of my 9mm pistols since all my pistols except the .32 revolverI inherited from my grandmother when she died are 9mm. I'll be better prepared next time I compete in a bowling pin match.

I plan to continuecompeting in any matches of any type held at Mission Essential or at Rye Patch Gun Club as my work schedule allows.
The big question is... Did you have fun?

officerjdc

imported post

Samuel Adams wrote:
officerjdc wrote:

Yes! I've become addicted to competing after just doing it once! I'll be competing in as many matches as my work schedule allows from now on!

Samuel Adams

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
Samuel Adams wrote:
officerjdc wrote:

Yes! I've become addicted to competing after just doing it once! I'll be competing in as many matches as my work schedule allows from now on!
Cool. In the meantime, come over to the forum at GeorgiaPacking.org. OC is a great forum but GCDO is specifically for Georgia shooters.