Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: New to OC - First Non LEO Encounter... asked "the question"

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    First off, I just want to say that I am new to OC. I have owned an XD 40 for about 2 years now and have had CCW permit for just as long, but OC is new to me. I know that we have all been there, but here is my story…
    I decided to OC on Thursday the 3rd after getting a new holster the day before (to those of you who own an XD 40 and want to OC, I would recommend not using the “piece of plastic” that came with the pistol case). In case anyone is wondering, I bought a BlackHawk CQC Carbon Fiber
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/carbon-f...-17-22-31.html
    I drive to work in Federal Way all while OC (boss is cool with it… we go shooting together & company doesn’t have a strict weapons policy). Then I’m on my way home and needed to stop at the gas station for something to drink. I walk inside and go straight to the cooler with strongside to the counter. The clerk didn’t notice because he was dealing with some other patrons. So I grab a cold one out of the cooler (only a Gatorade ) and go to the line. I’m 3rd in line waiting for some scruffy looking guy trying to count out $3 in small coins for 3 cans of malt liquor (ugh). So that guys transaction took 2 years, then the next chick was trying to buy gas AND lottery tickets with a Shell credit card which is not allowed according to the clerk… this conversation went on for another 2 years…

    So if you can picture me standing there with this blank look on my face, thinking to myself “this is why I am glad I don’t live in Federal Way”… all the while OC’ing.
    I was just about to step up to the counter and this black guy walks up and gets in line behind me. Considering that I’m new to OC, and that I am always aware of who is around me anyways, I positioned myself off to the side as to put my strong side to the counter with the guy on my left. Not that I thought he was going to do anything… and not because he was a black guy; would’ve done the same thing with anyone. But this is when I got “the question.”
    “Is that a real gun?” he asks sincerely.
    Seriously? Has anyone else had this? I have been reading the treads enough to hear all sorts of questions (my favorite response so far to the "why do you OC? is "because a policeman doesn’t fit into my holster”). But this guy was serious!
    Other than the obvious response, is there anyone else who has gotten this one? What do you say?
    I completed my transaction with the clerk eyeing me at first, but then when he heard me talking to the guy behind me about Opencarry.org etc, he was just happy to have someone at his counter that could complete a transaction within 30 seconds. So I left the store feeling pretty good because I was able to educate my first person, on my first day OC! All that I could’ve wished for, even if I did get “the question.”

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Flanders007 wrote:
    First off, I just want to say that I am new to OC. I have owned an XD 40 for about 2 years now and have had CCW permit for just as long, but OC is new to me. I know that we have all been there, but here is my story…
    I decided to OC on Thursday the 3rd after getting a new holster the day before (to those of you who own an XD 40 and want to OC, I would recommend not using the “piece of plastic” that came with the pistol case). In case anyone is wondering, I bought a BlackHawk CQC Carbon Fiber
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/carbon-f...-17-22-31.html
    I drive to work in Federal Way all while OC (boss is cool with it… we go shooting together & company doesn’t have a strict weapons policy). Then I’m on my way home and needed to stop at the gas station for something to drink. I walk inside and go straight to the cooler with strongside to the counter. The clerk didn’t notice because he was dealing with some other patrons. So I grab a cold one out of the cooler (only a Gatorade ) and go to the line. I’m 3rd in line waiting for some scruffy looking guy trying to count out $3 in small coins for 3 cans of malt liquor (ugh). So that guys transaction took 2 years, then the next chick was trying to buy gas AND lottery tickets with a Shell credit card which is not allowed according to the clerk… this conversation went on for another 2 years…

    So if you can picture me standing there with this blank look on my face, thinking to myself “this is why I am glad I don’t live in Federal Way”… all the while OC’ing.
    I was just about to step up to the counter and this black guy walks up and gets in line behind me. Considering that I’m new to OC, and that I am always aware of who is around me anyways, I positioned myself off to the side as to put my strong side to the counter with the guy on my left. Not that I thought he was going to do anything… and not because he was a black guy; would’ve done the same thing with anyone. But this is when I got “the question.”
    “Is that a real gun?” he asks sincerely.
    Seriously? Has anyone else had this? I have been reading the treads enough to hear all sorts of questions (my favorite response so far to the "why do you OC? is "because a policeman doesn’t fit into my holster”). But this guy was serious!
    Other than the obvious response, is there anyone else who has gotten this one? What do you say?
    I completed my transaction with the clerk eyeing me at first, but then when he heard me talking to the guy behind me about Opencarry.org etc, he was just happy to have someone at his counter that could complete a transaction within 30 seconds. So I left the store feeling pretty good because I was able to educate my first person, on my first day OC! All that I could’ve wished for, even if I did get “the question.”
    Welcome aboard! Great first encounter!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    "Is that a real gun?"

    "No, I am making a movie and it is just a prop (extend hand and say) My name is Costner and I am a 2 faced actor when it comes to guns"

    I have had that question several times, and always answer "Of course, why would I want a toy?"

    People just need to be educated in a positive and FRIENDLY way. Do not give up, it gets easier.

    Jim



  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Congratulations, Agent Flanders. May all your encounters be at least this friendly.

    Edit: BTW, EXCELLENT piece of hardware you have. I've been carrying one myself for a couple of years now. I just wish I could get a lefty Blackhawk holster.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    Thanks Jim.


    Agreed, I think that the less sarcastic you are, the better. But I did tell him that it was real and something to the effect of "when was the last time you saw someone carrying a pellet gun" to which he said something like "well I have never seen anyone just carrying it like that", which led the 30 second educational conversation :celebrate

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    Gosh AbNo, I wish I could help you out, but I closed the Leftorium a few years back.


  7. #7
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Flanders007 wrote:
    Gosh AbNo, I wish I could help you out, but I closed the Leftorium a few years back.
    ROFL!!! I wonder how many people get the reference. Awesome.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    I posted this on the Two Incident thread but it applies here as well.

    "One needs to remember that this is an educational process. Sometimes it requires educating them all at once, but usually it is a one at a time deal. Which is what most of us have to deal with on a day to day basis. You just have to keep plugging away until you teach enough of the sheeple the facts that they begin teaching the rest of the sheeple the facts and truth of the matter."

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    570

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    Flanders007 wrote:
    Gosh AbNo, I wish I could help you out, but I closed the Leftorium a few years back.
    ROFL!!! I wonder how many people get the reference. Awesome.
    I think quite a few of us here should get that, As for the "is that real" question, I have actually gotten that one quite a bit. I guess the idea of someone strapping a fake gun on their hip and walking around with it makes more sense than doing it with a real gun.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    Agent 47 wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    Flanders007 wrote:
    Gosh AbNo, I wish I could help you out, but I closed the Leftorium a few years back.
    ROFL!!! I wonder how many people get the reference. Awesome.
    I think quite a few of us here should get that, As for the "is that real" question, I have actually gotten that one quite a bit. I guess the idea of someone strapping a fake gun on their hip and walking around with it makes more sense than doing it with a real gun.
    Didn't the cops just shoot a guy with a fake gun recently when he waved it at them? So there you go, a fake gun will get you killed.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW WA
    Posts
    127

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    Flanders007 wrote:
    Gosh AbNo, I wish I could help you out, but I closed the Leftorium a few years back.
    ROFL!!! I wonder how many people get the reference. Awesome.
    http://www.leftorium.com/



  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ogden, UT, ,
    Posts
    258

    Post imported post

    I got that question last night by my neighbors wife...

    "Whats that???" and "I didn't know you had a concealed weapons permit"

    I just told her, for UT, that you don't need the concealed permit to OC and further told her what some of the laws were. She seemed fine with it.



    Nice experience for you....


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    I figured someone would pick up on the Leftorium reference. I found it amusing too

    Great link BCP. Although AbNo won't be able to find a left handed holster for his xd40 on that web site.

    AbNo - I would try here

    http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4105

    Or you can search for this part number: 410507BK-L

    You should be able to hunt one down.

    I am going to OC today. Have some errands to run in Bellevue. I suspect I won't have a problem as 1) they have had the training and 2) my conceiled permit was issued out of bellevue. Should a story be worthy or posting, I will do so when I return

    EDIT: I never did make it out. Went outside for the first time this afternoon and saw that my car was got busted into last night and my zune was stolen

    I did however have a nice conversation with a LEO who came to write up a report. I asked him if he had ever had any concerns with OC and he said no, he was quite aware of the law, but knows that he has to show up from time to time becuase they get MWAG calls from the frantic "sheeple." He was really funny too, he just said "yea, they (sheeple) have nothing other to add than "he has it"... so I ask, what is he doing with it, and they say nothing other than "well he has it!" He knew that OC isn't a threat to anyone other than the criminals and said that he doesn't have a problem with it at all. So that was nice... other than the fact I had to have this conversation with him while standing infront of broken glass from my car window and no Zune

  14. #14
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Man, that really sucks Flanders007.

    I was pretty sure Bellevue had been "educated" by Lonnie a while back and there wouldn't be issues. Plus, I've OC'd in downtown for over an hour, walking from one end to the other (East side of 405 to the QFC across from the mall and back) and didn't have a single encounter.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Flanders007 wrote:
    AbNo - I would try here

    http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4105

    Or you can search for this part number:* 410507BK-L
    :what:



    Woohoo!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Congratulations, Agent Flanders. May all your encounters be at least this friendly.

    Edit: BTW, EXCELLENT piece of hardware you have. I've been carrying one myself for a couple of years now. I just wish I could get a lefty Blackhawk holster.

    What is the deal with the availability of left hand gear???? I ordered a lefty holster on OpticsPlanet. After 3 months, I got an email telling me the order was canceled.

    If anyone has luck getting the blackhawk let me know!

    I shoot about the same either hand, but it would be nice to OC strong side. I do have a lefty conceal holster, but that was custom.


  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    Man, you guys need to be as unlucky as I am. I've accidentally picked up left handed holsters and had to exchange them twice!

    I've also been asked if my guns real, to which I usually respond that it wouldn't do a very good job of keeping my family safe if it wasn't.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    ducttape2 wrote:
    AbNo wrote:
    Congratulations, Agent Flanders. May all your encounters be at least this friendly.

    Edit: BTW, EXCELLENT piece of hardware you have. I've been carrying one myself for a couple of years now. I just wish I could get a lefty Blackhawk holster.

    What is the deal with the availability of left hand gear???? I ordered a lefty holster on OpticsPlanet. After 3 months, I got an email telling me the order was canceled.

    If anyone has luck getting the blackhawk let me know!

    I shoot about the same either hand, but it would be nice to OC strong side. I do have a lefty conceal holster, but that was custom.
    The gun industry has ignored the lefties as a whole, except for a few exceptions. Savage and Remington regularly build lefthand rifles. The few true auto pistol makers didn't last long due to lack of sales and the extra expense of doing it lefthanded. The accessory guys are starting to get better, but some are stillterrible. You would think with CNC technology that lefthand would be simple. On that note Charter Arms has released a true lefthanded revolver. I know this because of my leftie wife and the extra expense involved in buy her toys.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    I got my serpa at gander mountain and they had lots of lefties. I bought one by mistake and had to exchange it for the one remaining right handed holster.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Boy am I glad shooting is one of the few things I do not do left handed.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    ducttape2 wrote:
    What is the deal with the availability of left hand gear????* I ordered a lefty holster on OpticsPlanet.* After 3 months, I got an email telling me the order was canceled.*

    If anyone has luck getting the blackhawk let me know!
    Actually, I already have a lefty Blackhawk for my 1911.

    I found it at the Harrisonburg Gun Show for $25, brand new.


    joeroket wrote:
    Boy am I glad shooting is one of the few things I do not do left handed.
    It's ok, you don't have to be the best at everything.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    239

    Post imported post

    I got asked recently at costco in issaquah. The guy at the cellphone counter was like "whoa, is that real?" I was like, "I wouldn't carry it if it wasn't." It turned out good, we ended up talking about OC and if it was legal in Texas which is where hes from apprerantly.



    Shalom

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    Unfortunately, the cell kiosk isn't a part of Costco. It's a vendor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •