• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC - First Non LEO Encounter... asked "the question"

Flanders007

imported post

First off, I just want to say that I am new to OC. I have owned an XD 40 for about 2 years now and have had CCW permit for just as long, but OC is new to me. I know that we have all been there, but here is my story…
I decided to OC on Thursday the 3[sup]rd[/sup] after getting a new holster the day before (to those of you who own an XD 40 and want to OC, I would recommend not using the “piece of plastic” that came with the pistol case). In case anyone is wondering, I bought a BlackHawk CQC Carbon Fiber
http://www.opticsplanet.net/carbon-fiber-holster-pebble-finish-glock-17-22-31.html
I drive to work in Federal Way all while OC (boss is cool with it… we go shooting together & company doesn’t have a strict weapons policy:cool:). Then I’m on my way home and needed to stop at the gas station for something to drink. I walk inside and go straight to the cooler with strongside to the counter. The clerk didn’t notice because he was dealing with some other patrons. So I grab a cold one out of the cooler (only a Gatorade:D ) and go to the line. I’m 3rd in line waiting for some scruffy looking guy trying to count out $3 in small coins for 3 cans of malt liquor (ugh). So that guys transaction took 2 years, then the next chick was trying to buy gas AND lottery tickets with a Shell credit card which is not allowed according to the clerk… this conversation went on for another 2 years… :banghead:

So if you can picture me standing there with this blank look on my face, thinking to myself “this is why I am glad I don’t live in Federal Way”… all the while OC’ing.
I was just about to step up to the counter and this black guy walks up and gets in line behind me. Considering that I’m new to OC, and that I am always aware of who is around me anyways, I positioned myself off to the side as to put my strong side to the counter with the guy on my left. Not that I thought he was going to do anything… and not because he was a black guy; would’ve done the same thing with anyone. But this is when I got “the question.”
“Is that a real gun?” he asks sincerely.
Seriously? Has anyone else had this? I have been reading the treads enough to hear all sorts of questions (my favorite response so far to the "why do you OC? is "because a policeman doesn’t fit into my holster”). But this guy was serious!
Other than the obvious response, is there anyone else who has gotten this one? What do you say?
I completed my transaction with the clerk eyeing me at first, but then when he heard me talking to the guy behind me about Opencarry.org etc, he was just happy to have someone at his counter that could complete a transaction within 30 seconds. So I left the store feeling pretty good because I was able to educate my first person, on my first day OC! All that I could’ve wished for, even if I did get “the question.”

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Flanders007 wrote:
First off, I just want to say that I am new to OC. I have owned an XD 40 for about 2 years now and have had CCW permit for just as long, but OC is new to me. I know that we have all been there, but here is my story…
I decided to OC on Thursday the 3[sup]rd[/sup] after getting a new holster the day before (to those of you who own an XD 40 and want to OC, I would recommend not using the “piece of plastic” that came with the pistol case). In case anyone is wondering, I bought a BlackHawk CQC Carbon Fiber
http://www.opticsplanet.net/carbon-fiber-holster-pebble-finish-glock-17-22-31.html
I drive to work in Federal Way all while OC (boss is cool with it… we go shooting together & company doesn’t have a strict weapons policy:cool:). Then I’m on my way home and needed to stop at the gas station for something to drink. I walk inside and go straight to the cooler with strongside to the counter. The clerk didn’t notice because he was dealing with some other patrons. So I grab a cold one out of the cooler (only a Gatorade:D ) and go to the line. I’m 3rd in line waiting for some scruffy looking guy trying to count out $3 in small coins for 3 cans of malt liquor (ugh). So that guys transaction took 2 years, then the next chick was trying to buy gas AND lottery tickets with a Shell credit card which is not allowed according to the clerk… this conversation went on for another 2 years… :banghead:

So if you can picture me standing there with this blank look on my face, thinking to myself “this is why I am glad I don’t live in Federal Way”… all the while OC’ing.
I was just about to step up to the counter and this black guy walks up and gets in line behind me. Considering that I’m new to OC, and that I am always aware of who is around me anyways, I positioned myself off to the side as to put my strong side to the counter with the guy on my left. Not that I thought he was going to do anything… and not because he was a black guy; would’ve done the same thing with anyone. But this is when I got “the question.”
“Is that a real gun?” he asks sincerely.
Seriously? Has anyone else had this? I have been reading the treads enough to hear all sorts of questions (my favorite response so far to the "why do you OC? is "because a policeman doesn’t fit into my holster”). But this guy was serious!
Other than the obvious response, is there anyone else who has gotten this one? What do you say?
I completed my transaction with the clerk eyeing me at first, but then when he heard me talking to the guy behind me about Opencarry.org etc, he was just happy to have someone at his counter that could complete a transaction within 30 seconds. So I left the store feeling pretty good because I was able to educate my first person, on my first day OC! All that I could’ve wished for, even if I did get “the question.”
Welcome aboard! Great first encounter!

Trigger Dr

imported post

"Is that a real gun?"

"No, I am making a movie and it is just a prop (extend hand and say) My name is Costner and I am a 2 faced actor when it comes to guns":D

I have had that question several times, and always answer "Of course, why would I want a toy?"

People just need to be educated in a positive and FRIENDLY way. Do not give up, it gets easier.

Jim

AbNo

imported post

Congratulations, Agent Flanders. May all your encounters be at least this friendly.

Edit: BTW, EXCELLENT piece of hardware you have. I've been carrying one myself for a couple of years now. I just wish I could get a lefty Blackhawk holster. :(

Flanders007

imported post

Thanks Jim.

Agreed, I think that the less sarcastic you are, the better. But I did tell him that it was real and something to the effect of "when was the last time you saw someone carrying a pellet gun" to which he said something like "well I have never seen anyone just carrying it like that", which led the 30 second educational conversation :celebrate

Bear 45/70

imported post

I posted this on the Two Incident thread but it applies here as well.

"One needs to remember that this is an educational process. Sometimes it requires educating them all at once, but usually it is a one at a time deal. Which is what most of us have to deal with on a day to day basis. You just have to keep plugging away until you teach enough of the sheeple the facts that they begin teaching the rest of the sheeple the facts and truth of the matter."

Agent 47

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Flanders007 wrote:
Gosh AbNo, I wish I could help you out, but I closed the Leftorium a few years back. :lol:
ROFL!!! I wonder how many people get the reference. Awesome.
I think quite a few of us here should get that, :)As for the "is that real" question, I have actually gotten that one quite a bit. I guess the idea of someone strapping a fake gun on their hip and walking around with it makes more sense than doing it with a real gun.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Flanders007 wrote:
Gosh AbNo, I wish I could help you out, but I closed the Leftorium a few years back. :lol:
ROFL!!! I wonder how many people get the reference. Awesome.
I think quite a few of us here should get that, :)As for the "is that real" question, I have actually gotten that one quite a bit. I guess the idea of someone strapping a fake gun on their hip and walking around with it makes more sense than doing it with a real gun.
Didn't the cops just shoot a guy with a fake gun recently when he waved it at them? So there you go, a fake gun will get you killed.
rolleyes.gif

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I got that question last night by my neighbors wife...

"Whats that???" and "I didn't know you had a concealed weapons permit"

I just told her, for UT, that you don't need the concealed permit to OC and further told her what some of the laws were. She seemed fine with it.

Nice experience for you....

Flanders007

imported post

I figured someone would pick up on the Leftorium reference. I found it amusing too:lol:

Great link BCP. Although AbNo won't be able to find a left handed holster for his xd40 on that web site.

AbNo - I would try here

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4105

Or you can search for this part number: 410507BK-L

You should be able to hunt one down.

I am going to OC today. Have some errands to run in Bellevue. I suspect I won't have a problem as 1) they have had the training and 2) my conceiled permit was issued out of bellevue. Should a story be worthy or posting, I will do so when I return ;)

EDIT: I never did make it out. Went outside for the first time this afternoon and saw that my car was got busted into last night and my zune was stolen :cuss:

I did however have a nice conversation with a LEO who came to write up a report. I asked him if he had ever had any concerns with OC and he said no, he was quite aware of the law, but knows that he has to show up from time to time becuase they get MWAG calls from the frantic "sheeple." He was really funny too, he just said "yea, they (sheeple) have nothing other to add than "he has it"... so I ask, what is he doing with it, and they say nothing other than "well he has it!" He knew that OC isn't a threat to anyone other than the criminals and said that he doesn't have a problem with it at all. So that was nice... other than the fact I had to have this conversation with him while standing infront of broken glass from my car window and no Zune :(

just_a_car

imported post

Man, that really sucks Flanders007. :(

I was pretty sure Bellevue had been "educated" by Lonnie a while back and there wouldn't be issues. Plus, I've OC'd in downtown for over an hour, walking from one end to the other (East side of 405 to the QFC across from the mall and back) and didn't have a single encounter.

ducttape2

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Congratulations, Agent Flanders. May all your encounters be at least this friendly.

Edit: BTW, EXCELLENT piece of hardware you have. I've been carrying one myself for a couple of years now. I just wish I could get a lefty Blackhawk holster. :(

What is the deal with the availability of left hand gear????:cuss: I ordered a lefty holster on OpticsPlanet. After 3 months, I got an email telling me the order was canceled.

If anyone has luck getting the blackhawk let me know!

I shoot about the same either hand, but it would be nice to OC strong side. I do have a lefty conceal holster, but that was custom.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Man, you guys need to be as unlucky as I am. I've accidentally picked up left handed holsters and had to exchange them twice!

I've also been asked if my guns real, to which I usually respond that it wouldn't do a very good job of keeping my family safe if it wasn't.

Bear 45/70

imported post

ducttape2 wrote:
AbNo wrote:

What is the deal with the availability of left hand gear????:cuss: I ordered a lefty holster on OpticsPlanet. After 3 months, I got an email telling me the order was canceled.

If anyone has luck getting the blackhawk let me know!

I shoot about the same either hand, but it would be nice to OC strong side. I do have a lefty conceal holster, but that was custom.
The gun industry has ignored the lefties as a whole, except for a few exceptions. Savage and Remington regularly build lefthand rifles. The few true auto pistol makers didn't last long due to lack of sales and the extra expense of doing it lefthanded. The accessory guys are starting to get better, but some are stillterrible. You would think with CNC technology that lefthand would be simple. On that note Charter Arms has released a true lefthanded revolver. I know this because of my leftie wife and the extra expense involved in buy her toys.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I got my serpa at gander mountain and they had lots of lefties. I bought one by mistake and had to exchange it for the one remaining right handed holster.