Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC in Jackson Missouri

Post imported post

It was about 7 weeks ago, I walked into the local Mazzios for the lunch buffet one day(as usual) I was sitting on the door side of the building. I was eating my salad when the fire chief and one of his guys walks in, and right behind them where three

city police officers. Well they didnt notice I was wearing my gun until I walked up to the buffet bar and went back to my table. LOL....one of the officers walked up the front and was asking one of the waitresses if she the guy sitting over there wearing the black t-shirt and cap...she looked at me and smiled and told the officer that she knew me and that I ate in there all the time, and he said to her "well...I just wanted you to know that he was carring a gun...she laughed and said well he isnt the type of person to just open up and start shooting people.

Well...the officer went back to his table and was talking to his buddies and then got up and walked over and leaned over my table(which I thought was very rude, but I didnt say anything) finally he asked me "are you a member of law enforcement somewhere?" and I just smiled and said "no sir" and he replied I was just wondering since you are wearing that pistol. I told him I was just exercising my constitutional rights to bear arms, he replied that it's unusual to see a civilian carrying. I said "I'm not breaking any laws" and his reply was "I didnt say you were doing anything illegal" and I asked why he thought it was necessary to talk to me about my weapon if I wasnt bothering anyone and I wasnt doing anything illegal?

He said it was necessary to check out everyone they saw with a weapon, I told him that if he wanted to check me out he could over the Cape County sheriffs office and talk to sheriff Jordan since the sheriff has known me longer than I care to admit...LOL

I said he can tell you all about me, and the officer just walked away and didnt say anything else. I have other stories, a couple of them pretty funny. I'll post them later.

Post imported post

Exactly!

They knew OC is legal, just wanted to see what your reaction would be!

No harm,no foul!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
    he replied that it's unusual to see a civilian carrying.
    You should have asked him which branch of the military he and his coworkers were active in?

Post imported post

I can see the humor in tis one! LOL!

BUT......we don't wanna give 'em any OTHER reasons to "Chat"!

Some cops are pricks! :shock:

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    Diver_59 wrote:
    he replied that it's unusual to see a civilian carrying.
    You should have asked him which branch of the military he and his coworkers were active in?
    Right. Why do the police think they are not "civilians"?

Post imported post

LOL! Right on!

No DD214 = civilian!

Post imported post

I thought a dd-214 = civilian again
    :P

Post imported post

I DO stand corrected! I just hate my re-entry code!

Yes DD214= discharged

Reason for separation? That's a whole other story!

Post imported post

I am very much interested in hearing more stories about OC in Jackson. I'm usually in Cape, obviously CC due to ordinance, and am typically CC when I run to Jackson and it is not usually worth changing over to OC for my typically brief trips there. I have OC in Jackson a few times though without incident.

As long as we have an "OC in Jackson" thread I am curious about one issue. I recently heard a "friend of a friend of a friend" story about LEO responding to someone OC in the Jackson Walmart. Anybody with a better source know of issues at the Jackson Walmart before I OC there again?
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Yes sir.

the majority of Wal-Marts A.K.A. "Wally World" DO have police officers and even an annex (Small PD office) within the building. The one at 40 Hwy &Blue Ridge Blvd.is such.

I, in plain clothes will walk in & out OC without any problems as of yet. I've done this many times. The only problem I can see is the typical "Insighting Panic" B.S. you may receive, BUT you cannot be arrested!

Only asked to leave the premesis.

I will certainly keep all posted while I "Off duty OC" looking for my first incident.

I am testing the system!

Have a nice day!

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    I am very much interested in hearing more stories about OC in Jackson. I'm usually in Cape, obviously CC due to ordinance, and am typically CC when I run to Jackson and it is not usually worth changing over to OC for my typically brief trips there. I have OC in Jackson a few times though without incident.

As long as we have an "OC in Jackson" thread I am curious about one issue. I recently heard a "friend of a friend of a friend" story about LEO responding to someone OC in the Jackson Walmart. Anybody with a better source know of issues at the Jackson Walmart before I OC there again?
    I have OC in Jackson walmart almost everytime i have been in Jackson..I have been approached by one associate about my OC she asked if I was a LEO and I told her no...and she told me that I wasnt allowed to carry in the store. And I reminded her that according to state regulation that the store had to be properly posted for no weapons. One store manager approached me ( I have known this manager for several years) he saw me in the store OC and he told me that he had talked to the police about OC and they told him the same thing...that the store had to be posted for no weapons, he also told me that he called the walmart corporate office about posting the store and they told him that they did not want the store posted.

I have also OC in the city of Cape and have never been approached by any LEO's I was told from a deputy friend of mine that there were no ordinace against OC in Cape. But I have never spoken to the PD in Cape directlyabout OCing in Cape.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
    he also told me that he called the walmart corporate office about posting the store and they told him that they did not want the store posted.
    You should ask him if he thinks corporate would be happy to know that he is verbally harassing his customers instead?

Post imported post

asforme wrote:
    Diver_59 wrote:
    he also told me that he called the walmart corporate office about posting the store and they told him that they did not want the store posted.
    You should ask him if he thinks corporate would be happy to know that he is verbally harassing his customers instead?
    He never harassed me, he was just telling me his concerns about the associates getting upset about people OCing in the store. I have OC in the store since he talked to me and nothing else was ever said (at least not to me)

Post imported post

HA!

Someone finally looked up RsMO.031!! And straightened it out.

Key here is look for the "Posted" signs. Hell I will CC even if it says NO FIREARMS. Some ******* who decides he hates his parents and loves Marylin Manson won't get off but maybe 1 or 2 before I end it! Remember the "Mall Shooting(s)?

That's my outlook. Anyone with me?

Post imported post

Indeep-Cop wrote:
    HA!

Someone finally looked up RsMO.031!! And straightened it out.

Key here is look for the "Posted" signs. Hell I will CC even if it says NO FIREARMS. Some ******* who decides he hates his parents and loves Marylin Manson won't get off but maybe 1 or 2 before I end it! Remember the "Mall Shooting(s)?

That's my outlook. Anyone with me?
    I agree!.....whole heartedly!!!!!:celebrate

Post imported post

Rock & Roll! :celebrate

Post imported post

Diver_59 wrote:
    deepdiver wrote:
    I have OC in Jackson walmart almost everytime i have been in Jackson..I have been approached by one associate about my OC she asked if I was a LEO and I told her no...and she told me that I wasnt allowed to carry in the store. And I reminded her that according to state regulation that the store had to be properly posted for no weapons. One store manager approached me ( I have known this manager for several years) he saw me in the store OC and he told me that he had talked to the police about OC and they told him the same thing...that the store had to be posted for no weapons, he also told me that he called the walmart corporate office about posting the store and they told him that they did not want the store posted.

I have also OC in the city of Cape and have never been approached by any LEO's I was told from a deputy friend of mine that there were no ordinace against OC in Cape. But I have never spoken to the PD in Cape directlyabout OCing in Cape.

Look here http://www.municode.com/Resources/ga...505&sid=25 Article 5, section 17-98, #5.

Post imported post

OC is most definitely a violation of ordinance in the city of Cape.

As Shawn linked:
    Sec. 17-98. Unlawful possession or use of weapons. (a)A person commits the offense of unlawful possession or use of weapons if he knowingly:
    (5)Openly carries a firearm readily capable of lethal use.

[line]
    I typically avoid places that have no firearms signs posted even though it is not a criminal violation to ignore them. I just don't want to patronize such places. Fortunately, it is rare to see them around here. There is only one place I go to buy certain things on occasion I cannot find elsewhere that is posted and I do carry at that business.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Hi, Can you find anything on INDEPENDENCE, MO? Regarding OC?

Thanks!

Post imported post

I have a note in my file that Independence was not prohibiting OC; as of mid-2006. You should seek an update directly or by online ordinance searches even though I think it's still current. If truly ok the big thing would beto know the borders of Independence and other communities that butt up against it that may not allow OC. That's what concerns me in the great Metro area versus being in the sticks of MO.

Indeep-Cop wrote:
    Hi, Can you find anything on INDEPENDENCE, MO? Regarding OC?

Thanks!

Post imported post

I have also OC in the city of Cape and have never been approached by any LEO's I was told from a deputy friend of mine that there were no ordinace against OC in Cape. But I have never spoken to the PD in Cape directly about OCing in Cape.
    I havent read the exact law but i was told by the previous chief of police for cape that he was the one that wrote the law and had it placed in effect. he told me this after i helped a customer out to his truck with a rifle while open carring

Post imported post

I think the ordinance is far older than that.

See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum33/1238.html for some discussion of Cape's no OC ordinance. The case cite is City of Cape Girardeau v. Joyce, 884 S.W.2d 33, in which the MO Appellate Court decided that statute trumps the state constitution and that OC is indeed illegal in the City of Cape Girardeau.

BroadwayXD, the actual statute is posted above in this thread.

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA

Post imported post

Just to answer a few questions I see on here. I go to the Wall mart on 40 hwy and blueridge atleast once a week, and always OC. I have only been aproached once, and the officer was very polite and profesional. He aproached, told me he knew OC was legal, however the greeter had gotten worried and called him over. He asked if I would mind showing ID to ease the greeters concerns that I was infact a well dressed and mannered mass murderer. I said sure, he called in, said thanks, and was on his way. Thats the only incident that I have had there.

I live in Independence off of 24 hwy, and 435. I stop at the QT on 24 and 435 on a regular basis while open carrying, and there is ALWAYS a sheriff on duty on the weekends there. They have never once said anything to me other than a polite nod, or striking up a conversation about what type of firearm I am carrying. They have NEVER said or implied anything negative about me carrying. I also carry around Independence with out incident. In fact, the only place that I have been that has given me any type of trouble, has been bass pro shop who always wants to try to force me to check my sidearm, and have a trigger lock put on it before I go shopping. Kind of Ironic and sad really....

Hope the info helps. We should get together for an OC dinner one night in-deep

Post imported post

Thanks for the Dinner Invite!

Speaking of such, coincidentally, last nite; Friday actually about 3:00 am today.

After Iwent to a local bar to see a friends band play. I stopped at "Denny's"on Noland Rd. & 39th st. here in Independence, for a bite to eat. OC-ing. Was seated, and given a menu. Not more than 2 minutes later, this 19-20 yr old dish washer kid walks over and asks me "Is that a real gun"? (DUh ?) I thought about saying "No it's a BB gun you Fking Idiot" BUT being polite & knowing the laws, I replied "Sure is and I'm off duty PD" As I noticed some guy behind the counter with H-Cuffs in his belt just standing there with his arms folded. (Mr. GQ looking dude). Dishdog then asks me if I wouldn't mind leaving it in my truck as they've been robbed in the past. Apparently they had a tough time of putting 1+1 together! ?

I told him "Yea I know tha'ts why I have my weapon with me" But I was hungry and there were 2 On Duty cops across the street at QT I did notice. So I said "sure I just hope those cuffs stop shotgun rounds" & "I'll be right back".

So I go put my gun in the truck, & come back in to eat. From then on out the whole time I'm there the manager & Mr.GQ w/cuffs(LOL) are talking to me about how it might be better if I went back to go and get it just in case! I told them "Nope too late, my foods here and I'm starvin'"! Cant help ya now".

So I ate & on the way out after tipping which I couldn't beleive I did, I said:

"Thanks & have a good night, and you might consider a 12 guage under the counter to assist those cuffsas I will NEVER come back to this anti-american Hugo Chavez lovin' @#$%hole again"! Then left.

Just 1 case of having to leave it behind, or cover it which I probably should have done in the first place!

I WILL go back there & eat again next time CCW.

Will report if given any @#$% again.

Have a nice day!

Post imported post

Independence does not prohibit oc, in fact this city goes a step further and mandates us to be ready to assist any police officer if called upon to assist in an arrest or any other duties as needed. If you would ignore ths call, you could be charged with the crime of failing to assist police. I would take this to mean you should be prepared for this task at all times and should have all the proper equipment to assist ie: weapon, cuffs, rubber gloves etc. If a situation like this were to occur, it would most likely be only in dire asituation and your life or well being could be put at risk.

As copied from the City of Independence ords.

SEC. 12.03.003. UNLAWFUL USE OF WEAPONS. Indep Mo City Ords.

A. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

1. Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

2. Discharges a firearm, projectile weapon or explosive weapon or sets a spring gun; or

3. Discharges or shoots a firearm into a dwelling house, a railroad train, boat, aircraft, or motorvehicle, or any building or structure used for the assembling of people; or

10/18/05 (16174)661

4. Exhibits, in the presence of one more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an

angry or threatening manner; or

§12.03.003City Code, ,4

5. Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated; or

6. Discharges a firearm within one hundred (100) yards of any occupied schoolhouse, courthouse, orchurch building; or

7. Discharges or shoots a firearm at a mark, at any object, or at random, on, along or across a publichighway or discharges or shoots a firearm into any outbuilding; or

8. Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place wherepeople have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into anybuilding owned or occupied by any agency of the Federal government, State government, or politicalsubdivision thereof; or

9. Discharges or shoots a firearm at or from a motor vehicle, discharges or shoots a firearm at anyperson, or at any other motor vehicle, or at any building or habitable structure, unless the person waslawfully acting in self-defense; or

10. Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal useinto any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored orsanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

E. Subdivisions “3”, “4”, “5”, “6”, “7”, “8”, “9” and “10 of Paragraph A of this Section shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to State law.

SEC. 12.04.005. FAILURE TO ASSIST THE POLICE.

Any police officer of the City is hereby authorized, whenever deemed necessary, to call upon any person or number of persons needed to aid in making arrests; and every person who, upon being so summoned by a police officer, shall neglect or refuse to aid in making any arrest shall be guilty of the crime of failing to assist the police.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast