• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped for O/C in Toledo

bersa

imported post

Mario the sales managerfor Lowes asked me if I would cover up my gun because a few of the people in the store were uncomfortable. I told him and showed him I had a permit to carry.He asked me again to cover it and I said I would not and asked if there was anything else he needed I have things to do.Told him the store is not posted and that I was not doing anythingwrong, he says I know.His side kick makes a call to the head office and comes back with " he is not doing anything wrong".A hand shake between the two of us and we were out the door.

Kungfu

imported post

Maybe because it says"Ohio License toCarrya Concealed Handgun"is what throws people off. I kind of have a problem with the wording. It doesnt say just plain old "license to carry a handgun" as it should.

Pauly

imported post

Kungfu wrote:
Maybe because it says"Ohio License toCarrya Concealed Handgun"is what throws people off. I kind of have a problem with the wording. It doesnt say just plain old "license to carry a handgun" as it should.

But you don't need a license to carry a handgun. You need it to conceal a handgun. The wording is appropriate. I have a better idea. Why doesn't Ohio mirror Vermont state laws? That would make me a happy camper. No license required for open or concealed up there. NICE!!

fully stealth

imported post

Well done, 38 airweight; the kind of smooth handling that gives us all a good name. I have personally thought that improvedwording might be"License to Conceal a Handgun".

MetalChris

imported post

fully stealth wrote:
Well done, 38 airweight; the kind of smooth handling that gives us all a good name. I have personally thought that improvedwording might be"License to Conceal a Handgun".
I for one like it (for what that's worth), but the bureaucrats would never go for it...it's too unambiguous. ;)

Smitty_40

imported post

Toledo Municipal Code

549.18. Weapon possession in public places prohibited.

(a) No person, in and about the streets, alleys or other public places of the City, or at any place other than the residence or fixed place of business of such person, or while on a suitable firing range, or while being used for lawful hunting, or while unloaded at a public firearms display, show or exhibition, shall be in possession of; carry or have on or about his person, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or any weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of expanding gases, or any bowie knife, dirk, blackjack, billyclub, brass knuckles or any other weapon capable of inflicting bodily harm.

(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree

(1952 Code § 17-13-121; Ords. 919-73, 122-74)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Smitty regarding the carriage of firearms addressed in that municipal code text, the code is toothless and unenforceable. The Ohio legislature passed a bill that was signed into law and went into effect in May, 2007 (I think that date is right), which preempted all local laws regarding the carriage of firearms and set the standard that localities could not enact or enforce laws to regulate the carriage of firearms that are more strict than state law. Since there is no state law against the open carriage of firearms, and in fact there is an Ohio Supreme Court decision which clearly provides for open carry, the Toledo code is more strict and thus unenforceable.

Ohio law even goes so far as to ensure that any city or municipality that attempts to enforce their laws, which are more strict than state law, will pay all court costs and associated costs that the plaintiff incurrs while fighting the illegal enforcement of these laws when they lose. This of course does not even speak to theviolations of federal law that policemen and police departments could face by attempting to enforce an illegitimate law.

XD-40-Bob

imported post

Smitty_40 wrote:
Toledo Municipal Code

549.18. Weapon possession in public places prohibited.

(a) No person, in and about the streets, alleys or other public places of the City, or at any place other than the residence or fixed place of business of such person, or while on a suitable firing range, or while being used for lawful hunting, or while unloaded at a public firearms display, show or exhibition, shall be in possession of; carry or have on or about his person, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or any weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of expanding gases, or any bowie knife, dirk, blackjack, billyclub, brass knuckles or any other weapon capable of inflicting bodily harm.

(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree

(1952 Code§ 17-13-121; Ords. 919-73, 122-74)

Toledo can do what they want but it will cost them money in the long run because they will have to pay the lawyer fees and court costs and that is a good thing.

my Son goes to Toledo University and by his description it sounds like everyone should carry a gun, he got his driver side window smashed so they could steal a cheapo walmart cd player and he wasnt mad about the stereo, he was mad because they did it when it was raining and his driver seat got soaked and he is still cleaning glass out of his car.

He doesn't like it there and he has 5 more years because he wants to be a pharmacist and he said when day turns to night a lot of creatures come out to prowl

Moon Doggie

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Moon Doggie I am an alumni of the University of Toledo and lived on campus for 4 years between 1997 and 2001. The campus seemed reasonably safe then (as safe as can be for a place where students are forbidden to carry firearms), but I think I always had some tool on me when I went out walking. Things have changed since I left, because there are now more dorms and on-campus apartments, so I can only imagine that things have become less safe.

Although I enjoyed my time there I will never encourage someone to go attend UT or any Ohio school until Ohio gets rid of their prohibition of concealed firearms carried at colleges and universities. As such if the rules still stand when my children are old enough to attend college I'll highly encourage them to attend schools in states like Utah or Virginia.

Sorry for the off-topic discussion.

XD-40-Bob

imported post

Jmelvin

He stays in the College Dorms and he said that is what surprised him the most was that his car was broken into on the College property, he said he never ventures anywhere of school property after dark unless he has to, he said he felt fairly safe on the school grounds, until this happened. what else made him made was the cops said they would be out, he waited 3 hours for the police and they never showed, he called them and they said they would just issue a report # for his insurance, he told them he only has liability and his insurance doesn't cover the incident, they then said that they would never catch the guy and that was the end of the conversation, he was mad because they told him to wait for an officer and he waited for 3 hours and then they never showed up! I told him"Welcome to the real world"

All I told him was that the world is a rough place to live anymore and he better get use to it, he is my Step-Son by the way, he didn't grow up around firearms like me or my kids did, I also told him that if he is going to become a pharmacist he may want to consider getting a gun and permit because if he deals with drugs then he is a target and it seems to me that the Toledo Police want to harrass lawful citizens about OC'ing instead of patroling the streets to try and deter crime or even simple vandalism and theft.

It just keeps getting worse doesn't it? I hope I didn't stry from the thread, I figure it has to do with Toledo and the Toledo Police, if I did I apologize

Moon Doggie

XD-40-Bob

imported post

Well around here when the Local Gubment is sued and has to pay out taxpayers money the idiots that were at fault usually gets voted out.

It's good when a big city is sued and then other city's realize that they don't want to waste taxpayers money and/or get voted out so these other city's usually stop the BS harassing of Law abiding citizens such as OC'ing

Like a lot of city's dropped their Anti-Handgun laws when the SCOTUS ruled in favor of Mr. Heller so any lawsuit against a city which makes the city stop their BS Harassment of Law abiding citizens is good in my book

Moon Doggie