• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC law

MountainManXD

imported post

I had a friend ask me how much of your gun has to be visible for open carry. He doesn't have a cfp, and was wondering if he could just carry it in his belt with just the grip exposed, or using an iwb. I told him I didn't know, but I would suggest using an outside the waistband holster. But I was wondering how much of the gun has to be visible for it to count as OC without the permit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I dont think UT has a written minimum saying what is considered not concealed. I would assume that say if all you saw was the handle stickingout of someones waist band a LEO would say its concealed. This one may be left up to some ones perception.

Some states do have a written law saying its not concealed in this manner.

I too would recommend a OWB holster

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The law says if you cover it so others are not aware, it is concealment. IWB holsters are designed for concealment, so the argument could be made that you are concealing. Play it safe, and invest in an OWB holster. Plus, they are a lot more comfortable!

76-10-501
Definitions.
As used in this part:

(2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

(b) A dangerous weapon shall not be considered a concealed dangerous weapon if it is a firearm which is unloaded and is securely encased.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I agree if your friend wants to open carry make sure the firearm is in plain sight and not deemed loaded by State Statue. Either open carry it or Don't carry it at all or even better obtain a CFP Permit so he does not have to worry about it being concealed.Also when in his vechicle he would have to conform to Utah law as well

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
or even better in a BlackHawk SERPA OWB holster - super comfy! :dude:
Sheesh, Dave!! Are they paying you to advertise?

I know that my advertising efforts are Pro bono publico. :p

OCDO.jpg

scorpioajr

MountainManXD

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
The law says if you cover it so others are not aware, it is concealment. IWB holsters are designed for concealment, so the argument could be made that you are concealing. Play it safe, and invest in an OWB holster. Plus, they are a lot more comfortable!

76-10-501
Definitions.
As used in this part:

(2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

(b) A dangerous weapon shall not be considered a concealed dangerous weapon if it is a firearm which is unloaded and is securely encased.

That is basically what I told him.

But thinking about it, (halfway jokingly) what if your serpa is considered to cover, hide, or secrete your weapon in a way that the public would not be aware of its presence? Doesn't it seem that many people are completely unaware when you OC. Living in condition white I guess. :banghead:

Seriously, it seems to be a little open ended to me. Because of this I would always advise to err on the side of cation, or err on the side of full visibility with out the permit. Or I might even advise getting a permit, then problem solved.

GeneticsDave

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:
or even better in a BlackHawk SERPA OWB holster - super comfy! :dude:
Sheesh, Dave!! Are they paying you to advertise?
No... hey wait a minute... that's a good idea! Perhaps I can get BlackHawk to send some cash my way.... hm...

I wish, seriously, I could use some extra cash (but who here can't, right?).

I'm just a happy customer - have quite a few BlackHawk and 5.11 Tactical items, all are stellar and have been worth the money spent.

Outsider

imported post

I would say that your buddy should just get an OWB holster and not cover it up at all. Why risk it? We already know that LEOs (and no offense to them) don't have a firm understanding of the Utah Firearm Laws, why give them another thing to start bugging us about?