• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Funny OC Experience Yesterday.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

My wife and I got invited to a party across from Mt Trashmore hosted by the 2nd District Chairman of the VAGOP. I OC'd to this like I pretty much do everywhere. It didn't take long for one person to notice and we watched as he seemed to go around telling anyone who would listen there was someone OCing. I ran into someone I know and when he saw me he says "I figured you were here someone told me there was a guy carrying a gun when I got here" We both got a good laugh at that. The best part was when I got to talk to Ken Cuccinelli's campaign manager and he told me that somebody mentioned to the host about me carrying and his answer was "well we are in America". Finally the guy that started the whole thing stopped me and asked why I OCd instead of CC like him so I told him because I want to. We talked for a couple minutesand he kept saying "I'm not trying to be a smart a$$." Then he goes on to tell me that a VA Beach police officer told him you can't OC in VA Beach. So of course I mentioned VA's preemption laws and he STILL tells me that a VA Beach officer told him this. At this point I'm going to myself oh boy, so finally what slam dunked the guy was that Bob McDonnell was there and I told him we could ask him about VA's preemption laws if you like. I don't believe for one minute that a VA Beach police officer told him this I think he really hated seeing me OCing. I did enjoy talking to Ken Cuccinelli are very lucky to have reps like him and Bob McDonnell in VA.

I also heard there may be a Heller victory party in Richmond on 19 July at a Fuddruckers?

Sheriff

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
...... he goes on to tell me that a VA Beach police officer told him you can't OC in VA Beach. ...... I don't believe for one minute that a VA Beach police officer told him this......
Sorry, but I canand do believe it.

Won't be the first cop who felt he was right in what he wassaying. :lol:

jack

Banned
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Wait a minute.

There was a guy who had his CHP trying to stir stuff up about another guy carrying a gun!?!?!?

What an a$$hole.

Happens all the time. The cc folks are sometimes worse than the anti-gunners.

How many times has a open carry advocate heard, " I have a concealed carry permit and I KNOW that is illegal . I took a course to get my permit and a STATE TROOOOPER taught it BLA BLA BLA ...."

The moreinsistant they are is often linked to how incorrect and misinformed they are. Recently a friend of my took a CC class and the instructor told him that open carry can be afelony inNorth Carolinaand they will shrewd your gun. :banghead:

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I find it extremnely easy to believe that a VA Beach officer told him that.

Most police officers are honorable and a good number of them are able to admit when they do not know something. A significant minority will make things up if they "sound right".

Also, the law changed only a few years ago (pre-emption). Officers who have been around for awhile may remember the law before pre-emption, but not every officer is able to keep up with every change.

Then there is another possibility: I had an Henrico County SEARGENT try to tell me something similar on the phone after my open carry incident in Short Pump. When I corrected him, he backed down andin a round-about way acknowledged that Iwas right.Due to themanner and speedat which he did so,it dawned on me that hepossibly had beenpurposely misquoting the law as it was before pre-emption, counting on me not knowing anything about pre-emption!

Neplusultra

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
I find it extremnely easy to believe that a VA Beach officer told him that.

Most police officers are honorable and a good number of them are able to admit when they do not know something. A significant minority will make things up if they "sound right".

Also, the law changed only a few years ago (pre-emption). Officers who have been around for awhile may remember the law before pre-emption, but not every officer is able to keep up with every change.

Then there is another possibility: I had an Henrico County SEARGENT try to tell me something similar on the phone after my open carry incident in Short Pump. When I corrected him, he backed down andin a round-about way acknowledged that Iwas right.Due to themanner and speedat which he did so,it dawned on me that hepossibly had beenpurposely misquoting the law as it was before pre-emption, counting on me not knowing anything about pre-emption!
Yep, I had an FBI agent do that to me. Repeatedly asking about my "permit" to own a gun in Virginia. Since He's based in Virginia he had to know the law. So I figure he was testing my knowledge to try to find a way to put pressure on me.

Sheriff

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Yep, I had an FBI agent do that to me. Since He's based in Virginia he had to know the law.
We had a thread here not long ago about a Virginia based FBI agent approaching a resident aboutOC in a restaurant.The way I read the thread the FBI agent was borderline of actually assaulting the resident. I don't think they know the law. The FBI agent called 911, 911 advised him open carry was legal, he cancelled his request for an officer to respond, and then the OCer insisted that the police do indeed respond. In my opinion, the FBI agent was damn lucky the OCer didn't pursue criminal charges or a violation of constitutional rights complaint against him. He had no business detaining or leaning up againstthe OCer in a threatening manner. :lol:

AbNo

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Yep, I had an FBI agent do that to me.  Since He's based in Virginia he had to know the law. 
We had a thread here not long ago about a Virginia based FBI agent approaching a resident about OC in a restaurant.  The way I read the thread the FBI agent was borderline of actually assaulting the resident.  I don't think they know the law.   The FBI agent called 911, 911 advised him open carry was legal, he cancelled his request for an officer to respond, and then the OCer insisted that the police do indeed respond.   In my opinion, the FBI agent was damn lucky the OCer didn't pursue criminal charges or a violation of constitutional rights complaint against him.  He had no business detaining or leaning up against the OCer in a threatening manner.   :lol: 

Fake story. It's been written off as false.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Wait a minute.

There was a guy who had his CHP trying to stir stuff up about another guy carrying a gun!?!?!?

What an a$$hole.
You should have seen the manure that was slung my way when the AP article came out about the dinner at Champps...It was nationwide!

Neplusultra

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Yep, I had an FBI agent do that to me. Since He's based in Virginia he had to know the law.
We had a thread here not long ago about a Virginia based FBI agent approaching a resident aboutOC in a restaurant.The way I read the thread the FBI agent was borderline of actually assaulting the resident. I don't think they know the law. The FBI agent called 911, 911 advised him open carry was legal, he cancelled his request for an officer to respond, and then the OCer insisted that the police do indeed respond. In my opinion, the FBI agent was damn lucky the OCer didn't pursue criminal charges or a violation of constitutional rights complaint against him. He had no business detaining or leaning up againstthe OCer in a threatening manner. :lol:

When was this? I didn't see that.... IIRC someone came out strongly against the OP but then didn't back it up with anything.

Tomahawk

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

ORLY?

TexasNative

imported post

AbNo wrote:
I remember someone claiming it was false, but nobody provided any evidence of untruthfulness. Maybe you can provide a link for your proof of it being fake.

Sheriff

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
AbNo wrote:
I remember someone claiming it was false, but nobody provided any evidence of untruthfulness. Maybe you can provide a link for your proof of it being fake.

Correct. The person who said the story was fake (jack)was suppose to notify the FBI within 48 hours if the original poster (caltain) didn't retract the tale as untruthful. The original poster, caltain,called his bluff. The thread then died and fell to the wayside after the bluff was called by the original poster. It's another thread we never saw a conclusion to because it was locked.

The thread is.... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/11179.html

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sherriff, I don't think you're correct in these assertions.

The thread did start to fall by the wayside when jack's bluff was called. After that, it started becoming a "let's make fun of 229"; that's when it was locked.

Sheriff

imported post

Tess wrote:
Sherriff, I don't think you're correct in these assertions.

The thread did start to fall by the wayside when jack's bluff was called. After that, it started becoming a "let's make fun of 229"; that's when it was locked.

Agreed. While waiting for Jack to report back, Longwatch closed and lockedthe threadwhen we started joking around about the threadbeing 229ed.

And I don't think anybody has adoubt of what 229ed means. :D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jack wrote:
SNIP How many times has a open carry advocate heard, " I have a concealed carry permit and I KNOW that is illegal . I took a course to get my permit and a STATE TROOOOPER taught it BLA BLA BLA ...."

The moreinsistant they are is often linked to how incorrect and misinformed they are.

Well, you know what they say.

"Sacred cows make the best hamburgers."

Neplusultra

imported post

Citizen wrote:
jack wrote:
SNIP How many times has a open carry advocate heard, " I have a concealed carry permit and I KNOW that is illegal . I took a course to get my permit and a STATE TROOOOPER taught it BLA BLA BLA ...."

The moreinsistant they are is often linked to how incorrect and misinformed they are.

Well, you know what they say.

"Sacred cows make the best hamburgers."
Mmmmmmm. Hamburgers..... Can I get cheese with that :^)?

TexasNative

imported post

Jack, it would help if you would ever address what he actually said. As I recall, he said the agent was from...NY? NJ? Somewhere up that way.

So your "proof" is still insufficient. And I won't even mention your insulting attitude.