Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: obtaining a handgun with a LTC and not being 21? is it possible? hear me out

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    here in indiana you can lawfully carry a handgun with a ltc at the age of 18. im not 21 yet so ill just say 18 as a reference. the law says that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a "dealer". can you legally buy a used handgun from a private person such as someone you know and carry it with a LTC?

    i was reading up on www.in.gov under the firearms section and i cant find anything that would contradict it. i also cant find where it says there is no registering of a handgun. is it possible? or is the only way through a legal guardian?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    LaPorte, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    I am 20 years of age and carry an XD 45.

    The way I got my handgun was by telling my parents that I would like one as a christmas present, which is a legal way for me to obtain said weapon. I gave them no money to purchase it for me, but I did repay them one way or another.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southwest, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    NayKid,

    Remove your post.

    That purchase could be considered a sham purchase under Federal/State law and might possibly subject you and your parents to prosecution.

    IANAL

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    902

    Post imported post

    7588merc wrote:
    here in indiana you can lawfully carry a handgun with a ltc at the age of 18. im not 21 yet so ill just say 18 as a reference. the law says that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a "dealer". can you legally buy a used handgun from a private person such as someone you know and carry it with a LTC?

    i was reading up on http://www.in.gov under the firearms section and i cant find anything that would contradict it. i also cant find where it says there is no registering of a handgun. is it possible? or is the only way through a legal guardian?
    Get your lifetime license to carry, then buy a handgun off a parent, friend, or off of someone else via private sale. Indiana is one of those few states that respect the rights of adults that are 18, 19, or 20.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509

    Post imported post

    jmlefler wrote:
    NayKid,

    Remove your post.

    That purchase could be considered a sham purchase under Federal/State law and might possibly subject you and your parents to prosecution.

    IANAL
    Hogwash. It was a gift. He gave his parents gifts in return. This is what families do, and it doesn't constitute an illegal straw purchase by any stretch of the imagination.



  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    LaPorte, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    I can recieve a firearm of any legal type as a gift. I cannot purchase one. Thank the great state of Indiana for that.

    It was not a straw purchase in any sense of the word.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Jared wrote:
    7588merc wrote:
    here in indiana you can lawfully carry a handgun with a ltc at the age of 18. im not 21 yet so ill just say 18 as a reference. the law says that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a "dealer". can you legally buy a used handgun from a private person such as someone you know and carry it with a LTC?

    i was reading up on http://www.in.gov under the firearms section and i cant find anything that would contradict it. i also cant find where it says there is no registering of a handgun. is it possible? or is the only way through a legal guardian?
    Get your lifetime license to carry, then buy a handgun off a parent, friend, or off of someone else via private sale. Indiana is one of those few states that respect the rights of adults that are 18, 19, or 20.
    ahh thanks for clearing that up. i wanted to make sure, dont wanna get it and get pulled over and be surprised when i get arrested.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518

    Post imported post

    jmlefler wrote:
    NayKid,

    Remove your post.

    That purchase could be considered a sham purchase under Federal/State law and might possibly subject you and your parents to prosecution.

    IANAL
    It would only be considered asham/straw purchase if the original purchaser were buying it with the intention of giving or selling it to someone (ie., a convicted felon) who is prohibited by law from possessing firearms. Buying a firearm as a gift for someone who is not prohibited by law and who you know will not do anything illegal with it is perfectly legal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •